Advanced search

What if I go into labour before my c section date?

(12 Posts)
Pansy0926 Wed 23-May-18 18:57:00

I’m booked in for an ELCS at 40 weeks, and I’m a little concerned that I may go into labour before then.

I’m having a c section because I had a breech with DS1 and when they gave me the choice with this pregnancy, I had such a good experience with my last section (which was also planned) that I decided I wanted one this time too. I had other reasons too, for instance I have a condition where I feel pain during intercourse which I won’t get into (physical not psychological) and I worry that if I tear or suffer any damage it will be worse - every woman I have spoken to seems to have some kind of vaginal trauma from birth...I’d rather not tempt faith.

Today my midwife asked me if I would try to push if I went into labour early. Before this, my answer would have been no, as I am completely happy with my choice to have a CS. But, now thinking about it, if I went into labour surely my CS would be an emergency one, and nothing like my peaceful ELCS I had last time? For instance, I wouldn’t have been able to take those pills they give you to take 12 hours before, so I’m assuming that would change procedure...also I might have to be knocked out and would miss out on those first precious moments?

If this happens, I think I would prefer to push. Yes, I might do myself some lasting damage, but I’d hate to be knocked out when my baby is born...

I’m not looking to be convinced to push as ‘natural is better’ as I’m sure some people would disagree with me choosing for aC section. Just honestly, can anyone advise whether , if by time I get to hospital already in labour , will they have me unconscious while performing the section?


Pansy0926 Wed 23-May-18 18:57:38

*tempt fate, not faith

PaulHollywoodsSexGut Wed 23-May-18 19:00:52

Correct me if I’m wrong MN, but they only knock you out for a crash section (serious and extreme)...

Friends I know who’ve had “emergency C sections” as baby has been breech/dripping heart rate have never been knocked out.

It’s really worth having a chat with your birth option team at the hospital. They tend to book you in for the chat at 36w but speak to your midwife to request it earlier?

SugarMiceInTheRain Wed 23-May-18 19:07:31

No, they'd only give you a general anaesthetic if something serious was going wrong. I've had one emergency and 2 planned sections, though I was actually contracting during the 2nd planned section, not ideal. I recovered very well from the emergency section, though was more tired as I'd been in labour for 20 hours by the time they did the section. My worst recovery was during my planned 3rd section, though that was due to a uterine rupture (fortunately whilst I was on the operating table!)

Rockandrollwithit Wed 23-May-18 19:10:15

I had an ELCS with my second as I had an awful first birth.

The doctor wrote on the front office notes that I was to have a section asap if I turned up in labour. Obviously I may have needed to wait for a theatre etc but I would have been offered a section as soon as possible. I think it actually said 'does not wish to labour'.

As it happened I didn't go into labour naturally. I was 2 weeks over with my first so wasn't really expecting to. I had my section at 39+0.

scaryclare666 Wed 23-May-18 19:15:47

I have had 4 c sections, first emergency, others planned, however with my last my waters broke in the night and I was having contractions(not bad though) when I got to hospital they examined me and then I had my section exactly like the last two, no difference whatsoever. They did tell me afterwards I was 6 cm dialated which I was shocked about as I hadn’t been in much pain!

silverpenguin Wed 23-May-18 19:20:24

Why are you scheduled for 40 weeks, can't they schedule you earlier? There's a 50% chance you'll go into labour earlier than 40 weeks surely?

Orangepear Wed 23-May-18 19:27:06

I was booked in for 40+1 and went into labour the day before. I phoned the hospital to say I was on my way and they told me to take the tablets at that point. They put me on a monitor for a bit and then examined me, they asked if I wanted a vaginal birth and I said no. I was 7cm when I went into theatre. I am pleased with my decision, my recovery from CS was far better than my VB.

RhinoBlue Wed 23-May-18 19:29:25

I went into labour before my planned section date. I phoned the hospital to tell them my waters had broken and I was contracting, they told me to come straight in. It was about a 45 minute drive to the nearest hospital.

When I got there they examined me and established I was in fact in labour. They asked when I had last eaten - it was about an hour previous. Usually obviously they prefer you to have not eaten for some time before. They decided that the risk of uterine rupture was greater than the risk of surgery in a fed state, so off I went down to theatre. I expect had the theatre been busy I would've had to wait though. I was fortunate it was a quiet day.

I didn't have general, I had a spinal. It was all pretty relaxed and baby was born within an hour of me arriving at the hospital.

Recovery I'd say physically was much more like the ELCS I'd previously had rather than the emergency one I've also had which was horrendous. I recovered very quickly. Emotionally I was a little shocked as one hour I was at a party the next hour I was holding my baby.

I would say the only downside was not being prepared. I didn't even have a bag packed. But when you think about most women are not prepared and it's more normal to not know when exactly your baby is going to be born. So definitely make a back plan and pack early.

But really, it was a fine experience. I don't have negative feelings about it.

superking Wed 23-May-18 19:32:08

I asked about this when I was booked in for section no. 2 (similar reasons for 2nd section as you). They said I would still be able to have the section and although technically an "emergency" section in those circumstances, it would proceed pretty much the same as an elective.

I did wonder what would happen if my labour progressed very quickly, or if theatre was very busy. I imagine in those circumstances I may well have gone ahead and attempted a VBAC. As it happened, all went to plan.

GuntyMcGee Wed 23-May-18 19:44:27

Usually if you started to labour before your el lscs date you'd be given the option when you go in if continue to labour or to go for lscs. This would depend on how fast your labour was happening, mind. If you turn up fully dilated and birth is imminent, then it's highly unlikely you'll go to theatre. If you're in first stage, you'd be given the choice.

You'd only be given a GA section if it were a dire emergency, if it were just turning up in labour, they'd go for spinal as it's safer for you and baby without other risk factors like fetal distress.

Pansy0926 Wed 23-May-18 19:46:10

Thanks, I’m reassured that I should get the section if I go into labour early.

Unfortunately they don’t seem to want to book you in for a section until 36 weeks appointment, and I guess by that time they just didn’t have enough spaces for me to get booked in sooner than 40 weeks. It was complicated by the long weekend coming up (I’m 39 weeks now) as it seems they don’t do ELCS during the public holidays?! I would be booked in for this Friday/Saturday if it weren’t for the long weekend, but as it is I have to wait till next Wednesday. I’m getting regular back pains as I type so god knows this baby might be here sooner, though perhaps it’s wishful thinking as late pregnancy is so uncomfortable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: