Talk

Advanced search

How long would you be prepared to go over 42 weeks to avoid induction?

(51 Posts)
stillwaitingforbubba Thu 17-May-07 20:03:07

I was induced with DD1 at 42 weeks exactly and it was horrible. I am keen to avoid it this time but at 41+1 already my chances dont look great of going into labour naturally before 42 weeks. I know some people wait til closer to 43 weeks to be induced but with all the risks associated with that I wondered what people's views were on how long to wait. My options will be 42+1,2 or 42+5,6 days....I guess I am wondering about 42+5 which will be the bank holiday monday.....

Lullabyloo Thu 17-May-07 20:16:01

Have you tried acupuncture?
I was 42+2 & Desperate not to be induced...had a session of acupuncture & started having contractions on the way home!

Astrophe Thu 17-May-07 20:18:33

Personally, I would only go to 42, and only then if I was 100% sure of my dates.

I know inductions can be horrible, but I would not risk it longer then that if it were me.

Have you tried nipple massage?

Lio Thu 17-May-07 20:21:08

Hard question to answer since I believe that 'due dates' are unhelpful. Are YOU convinced about your due date?

And before you go ahead with induction, let the NHS convince you that it is necessary first - when dd was born (10 days over) the midwife reckoned the placenta had a good 2 weeks left in it. You are allowed to refuse induction. I did, although I agreed to some monitoring to check all was OK. (As it happened I went into labout before this monitoring happened so I can't tell you anything about that experience.)

stillwaitingforbubba Thu 17-May-07 20:21:22

Thanks will look up numbers of accupuncture now and perhaps try the old nipple thing again too....i nearly lost DD1 through nightmare labour from being induced so guess i am thinking there are risks whichever way i take it...

CarGirl Thu 17-May-07 20:21:41

I tried acupuncture etc with no avail. After a very lengthy, friendly, helpful & informal discussion with a known pro-minimal interevention consultant I decided to be induced at 42 weeks with my 4th rather than wait. I decided that risks of placenta failure were not worth it and in the end it was the most fantastic birth experience - so much better than the previous 3!!!! I found the pregnancy very hard work and I didn't want to put myself through all of that and not have a living baby at the end of it and always wonder if it were perhaps my fault!

It's a hard one, only you can decide - all the best, I'm sure my much more positive and relaxed attitude made my last birth so much better & easier - would do it again tomorrow even though it still took 2 lots of gel and a good 8 hours of pain before my body did anything!

CarGirl Thu 17-May-07 20:21:41

I tried acupuncture etc with no avail. After a very lengthy, friendly, helpful & informal discussion with a known pro-minimal interevention consultant I decided to be induced at 42 weeks with my 4th rather than wait. I decided that risks of placenta failure were not worth it and in the end it was the most fantastic birth experience - so much better than the previous 3!!!! I found the pregnancy very hard work and I didn't want to put myself through all of that and not have a living baby at the end of it and always wonder if it were perhaps my fault!

It's a hard one, only you can decide - all the best, I'm sure my much more positive and relaxed attitude made my last birth so much better & easier - would do it again tomorrow even though it still took 2 lots of gel and a good 8 hours of pain before my body did anything!

ArcticRoll Thu 17-May-07 20:22:33

Agree with Astrophe, 42 weeks max.
I wanted to hold out for as long as I could but then opted for induction at 41 weeks.

stillwaitingforbubba Thu 17-May-07 20:23:02

Am pretty sure of my dates (def sure of last period starting, hard to know when I ovulated) but last time I was definitely sure of precisely when i had conceived as could have only been one occasion so I guess my body takes longer to 'cook' the little'uns...

eemie Thu 17-May-07 20:28:42

I was not prepared to go over 41.

Nipple stimulation was v. effective for me but you have to do it right - a firm scissoring movement between index and middle fingers around the areola as if you're trying to cut the nipple off (sorry). Used it during labour as well, when contractions spaced out, and it got them going again smartly.

Good luck

stillwaitingforbubba Thu 17-May-07 20:49:52

THanks- def wasnt doing nipple stimulation correctly!!

CarGirl Thu 17-May-07 20:52:47

dd2 was induced at 42+2 and there was loads of meconium in the fluids (I think this was the main reason why she wasn't hungry at all for a fair few days) whereas the ones induced at 42 had no meconium in the waters, the other thing that put me off waiting longer was that you can be monitored and then 3 or 4 hours later everything's changed and it can be too late. Enjoy the nipple stimulation!

Astrophe Thu 17-May-07 21:54:02

I also found nipple stimulation very effective, but you need to be fairly committed to it! ie, set aside a day and do it every half hour or hour for 5 mins - that sort of thing. It is effective though, and as far as I know its the only 'self induction' type thing that actually does works. Do be careful though. If you start contracting, ease off a bit, as I've heard it can stimulate very strong contractions in some women and cause foetal distress (I'm not sure if its true, but go carefully)

Hulababy Thu 17-May-07 21:55:22

I would only go to 42 weeks personally.

lulumama Thu 17-May-07 21:58:04

i know there are a few mumsnetters who go to 43 weeks.....some women need to be pregnant that long!

i would try nipple stim, sex preferably with orgasm, raspberry leaf tea, acupuncture/ reflexology, visualisation, and see how you go

if the placenta is functioning and baby is happy in utero, then it is your decision,you need to be comfortable, and make an informed choice.....

lulumama Thu 17-May-07 21:59:18

re nipple stim causing foetal distress

I would have thought that it would be unlikely to cause it, as the hormones released are natural, unlike the synthetic ones given in induction, that can cause very very strong contractions, which can cause foetal distress

your body is unlikely to harm itself, IFYSWIM

FlossALump Thu 17-May-07 22:01:03

personally I'd not go past 42 weeks.

duchesse Thu 17-May-07 22:02:35

Bit of a crap shoot, as they say US-side.

Some babies are overdue at 42 weeks, some are underdone- one of my sisters routinely has 44 weekers. First one came at 44 weeks, just done, second was induced at 42 weeks courtesy of the French health care system- came out covered in vernix and slightly underdone...

One friend after three c-sections for non-starting labours, finally had a VBAC at 43 weeks for her number 4. Decided it was just a question of waiting for long enough.

Personally am glad my babies decided to make their appearance fashionably but not nerve-wrackingly late (10, 11 and 13 days past due date)

lulumama Thu 17-May-07 22:04:17

interesting duchesse

i tend to think that there can be a familial trend to these things, if mum, sisters, aunties , grandams tend to have shorter / longer gestational times, then it might be worth mentioning

CarGirl Thu 17-May-07 22:21:15

that's the thing though isn't it unless the women in your family have had a fair few babies etc it's difficult to be sure - it's all such a gamble!!! I think I could safely go to 43 weeks but I just didn't want to risk it.

lulumama Thu 17-May-07 22:42:48

maybe, but if they had one or two each,and there was a preponderance of early / late/ on time, that might mean something

or not

babies come when they are ready!

it is what we feel comfortbale and safe with

CarGirl Thu 17-May-07 22:46:04

Seeing the state that dd2 was in at 42+2/3 and knowing how dangerous inhaling meconium is did influence me a lot! Also it was quite positive having an induction date booked so far in advance and being chilled and accepting that you're going to make it to 42 weeks - went out for the day about 125 miles away at a week over. Wish I'd know about proper nipple stimulation though - I'd have loved a home birth!

Toady Thu 17-May-07 22:46:08

Just a few thoughts?

Is there a history of long pregnancies in your family?

Can you ask for a scan to check condition of placenta after 42 weeks?

Most importantly of all I think is to go on your gut feelings, I believe quite strongly that Mum knows best.

ipanemagirl Thu 17-May-07 22:48:33

I went 10 days and then they induced me with one of those pessaries. nothing happened overnight and then ds was born from start to finish in about 4 hours flat! fast but I nearly died from the pain!

edam Thu 17-May-07 22:51:52

If I were in your shoes, I'd ask for monitoring just to check everything's OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now