Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Tearing: first vs subsequent babies

(33 Posts)
Blondemother Mon 23-Apr-18 15:49:08

If you have given birth more than once, was there a difference in terms of tearing?

If you tear with the first baby is it likely to happen again or be easier on your body second time round?
If you escaped intact with the first baby did the second do more damage?!

Keen to hear your experiences smile

newmumwithquestions Mon 23-Apr-18 15:52:02

I tore both times (sorry, suspect it’s not the answer you want). But in different places if that makes any difference?

PenApple Mon 23-Apr-18 15:54:25

Dc1: Tear & episiotomy with a whole heap of stitches and hospital time.
Dc2: tiny tear which didn’t need stitches
Dc3: no tears at all

I think you are generally more likely to tear with first babies before you are, erm stretched 😬

n0ne Mon 23-Apr-18 15:56:30

No tears either time, even with very quick pushing phases (4 mins and 8 mins). But then I birthed in water which I think keeps the skin elastic.

Balancingact12 Mon 23-Apr-18 15:59:09

2nd degree tear both times. 6lb and 9lb baby but didn’t seem to make much difference either way hmm. Stitches and recovery both fine both times

Fluteytootey Mon 23-Apr-18 16:00:12

Tears both time sadly. 3rd degree and then a 2nd in the same place. No more babies for me!

mustbemad17 Mon 23-Apr-18 16:03:19

Tore both times - both babies 7lbs 14oz so no difference there, altho second time required less stitches. Be interesting to ser what happens this time 🙈

Dreamingofkfc Mon 23-Apr-18 16:04:55

Didn't tear either time, did perineal massage from 34 weeks every evening so that defo helped

DancingLedge Mon 23-Apr-18 16:06:56

Small tear and stitches first time.
No tears with 2 or 3, even though one of those was a bigger baby and got a bit stuck.

HLBug Mon 23-Apr-18 16:25:48

3rd degree tear first time (smidgen away from being 4th degree and nothing left) and, as a result, C Section the 2nd time as I sure as hell wasn't risking another tear like that again!!

LBOCS2 Mon 23-Apr-18 16:28:50

2nd degree tear both times.

First time it was a very medicalised birth, epidural, pushing on my back. Tore up and down, was stitched up under local by a consultant.

Second time it was an incredibly calm water birth. Tore, stitched up in surgery under general whilst they were sorting out my PPH.

EverythingNow Mon 23-Apr-18 16:29:41

1- 3rd degree tear and episiotomy
2&3 2nd degree tears.

I don’t think I have very flexible skin though given the amount of stretch marks I have!

Qwertyuiopa Mon 23-Apr-18 16:56:39

First time - 3rd degree tear, 8lb9 baby
Second time - 2nd degree, 8lb11 baby (with a bigger head!). Second labour was much easier despite the tear and I went home the same day.

Recovery was similar for both and was painful but fine really. Wouldn't put me off doing it again smile

lonelytigger Mon 23-Apr-18 20:58:52

First baby - a teeny tiny tear that didn't need any stitches but I felt like a half dead jellyfish after a car crash for ages.
Second baby - nothing at all and I pretty much felt completely normal straight afterwards but then had absolutely awful contraction pains when breastfeeding for the first week or so.

I think mine was down to the position (on my knees holding onto headboard/raised back of bed) and listening to midwife with baby 2 as towards the end of pushing she literally said "ok if you don't want to tear just do lots of little pushes now" and it helped - even though he came out with his hand first!

zozozoo Tue 24-Apr-18 04:22:58

This is interesting for me... I tore with dc1 and 2 with stitches required both times. Think they were both second degree tears but it's many years ago now. Both healed up well. Am currently pregnant with number 3 and scared that scar tissue won't stretch as well... does anyone know if that's a thing?

ShamelesslyPlacemarking Tue 24-Apr-18 04:34:47

Mild 3rd degree tears both times (bad enough to require stitching under a spinal block, but not bad enough to cause any further issues).

My midwife did say she wouldn’t recommend a vaginal delivery again because of the risk of worse tearing. She was very pro-vaginal delivery, so even though I’m not planning a third, I took her advice seriously.

Wildling Tue 24-Apr-18 04:38:22

I tore with my first, long time ago so I can't remember exactly but it took me a few months to heal. I didn't tear with my 2nd and he was 9lb so a lot bigger than my first!

I was on my back with my first, panicked and tired so pushed as hard and fast as I could to get him out as fast as possible once I felt the ring of fire... I was kneeling in the birth pool with my second and I swear that made a huge difference! I also had a really great midwife who guided me with the pushing too (and I listened to her!).

QuilliamCakespeare Tue 24-Apr-18 04:51:59

2nd degree tear first time, no tears the second time. Second baby was almost a pound bigger too!

Nomad86 Tue 24-Apr-18 13:29:55

Dc1 tear and episiotomy. Dc2 one stitch needed. Not sure if it helped but dc2 was a water birth.

Tigerpig Tue 24-Apr-18 19:29:47

DC1 I had a big episiotomy. Healed beautifully, they are not necessarily a bad thing.

DC2 just a graze.

I think that second time round everything has already stretched!

Blondemother Tue 24-Apr-18 20:35:53

That’s what I’m hoping tigerpig!

grannycab Tue 24-Apr-18 20:46:37

tear the first time, none the second

PurpleTraitor Tue 24-Apr-18 20:50:56

No tears the first time, baby in a good position. No tears the second time, baby in an awful position. Didn’t massage anything before or after, and have enough stretch marks to circumnavigate the globe, so not sure if any of it is related or pure luck!

corrianderisthedevil Tue 24-Apr-18 21:01:44

Tears and lots of stitches first time.
Tears but no stitches second time
No tears third time.

Good luck

Blondemother Tue 24-Apr-18 22:28:21

Seems like, as with most things baby related, it’s a crappy lottery.

Thank you for sharing!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: