Talk

Advanced search

VBAC or c section for 2nd birth

(17 Posts)
Dobbythesockelf Mon 02-Apr-18 18:41:45

I'm 28 weeks pregnant with my 2nd and I have my first consultant appointment on Wednesday.
With my dd I was induced because she was in distress, but it didn't really work. I wasn't dilating and her heart rate kept dropping. It was all pretty horrible, they manually broke my waters which hurt, my contractions ramped up once I was on the drip but they then got too much without me dilating at all. I then had to have something done where they checked my dds oxygen while she was inside me still. Eventually after 13 hours they decided on an emcs. I actually found the c section recovery ok overall.
My midwife says I would be fine for a normal birth but I am really nervous. With my dd I felt ignored for the last few weeks, it turned out my liver levels were really high and I ended up back in hospital 2 weeks after she was born. I also have spd which is so painful and I don't want to make it worse.
What should I expect from the consultant? Are they going to just push for vaginal birth?

OP’s posts: |
NotTakenUsername Mon 02-Apr-18 18:58:14

Just a bump and a request for an update on what your consultant says on Wednesday...

Dobbythesockelf Mon 02-Apr-18 19:12:44

Thanks I will update on Wednesday. Just really worried about not been listened to.

OP’s posts: |
LadyPug Mon 02-Apr-18 19:15:41

Please don’t worry dobby they prob won’t put too much pressure on. It’s totally up to you what you want to do, they will just let you know the pros and cons. My consultant talked me through why I had ended in emc and said he fully supported vbac if it was what I wanted (it is). He gave me all of the facts and you can make a decision and/or change your mind at any point. I would recommend doing all of your research on the pros and cons to both options

IheartCaptainHolt Mon 02-Apr-18 19:19:25

I had a failed induction then emergency c section with DS1 due to pre eclampsia.

All through DS2 pregnancy I said VBAC. Then at 39 was my blood pressure started rising so I saw the consultant, said I wanted a section abs they said fine and booked me in for one the following week.

I had no problem from the consultant at all. My elective section was great, really easy to arrange childcare for DS1, I was out the next afternoon and my recovery was very smooth as I wasn't exhausted from labouring.

Ski40 Mon 02-Apr-18 19:20:08

Hi, I had a c section due to placenta previa and when I got pregnant again a c section was discussed when my placenta was again found to be low. However nearer the time it moved up just enough for the consultant to suggest trying a vbac. I got the impresssion they were trying to make me, but I read about the risks and I was put off so I asked for another c section. The baby was big with a giant head 😁 so they agreed in the end.
Do your research and make sure you are understood. You have the right to change consultants if not happy with yours, I did.
Good luck xx

Doje Mon 02-Apr-18 19:21:23

I was in a similar situation after with I ended up with a EMCS after a failed induction with DS1.

After reading up on the risks of sections and vbacs and the liklihood of another failed induction, I said I would attempt a vbac if I went naturally into labour, but would go for a ELCS rather than another induction. I had no resistance from midwives or consultant.

I got to 41 wks and there was no signs of DS2 coming, so opted for the c section. I told my consultant in my 41 wks appt and had the c section days later, all very smooth

beereyt Mon 02-Apr-18 19:22:11

One option would be that you try for a vbac but insist you refuse to be induced. My plan was that if i went into labour spontaneously i would happy for a vbac however if i was overdue i would want an ellscs. They were happy with this. I had a vbac. I was a great experience but i would have been happy enough to have another section.

Dobbythesockelf Mon 02-Apr-18 19:29:49

I didn't realise I could refuse induction. I hated the induction and all the interventions and monitoring that followed. I think I'm most worried about not being listened to. I have read up on the pros and cons of both.

OP’s posts: |
LadyPug Mon 02-Apr-18 19:31:57

doje and beerey this is what I’ve done (due next month) so the agreement is that I will go for vbac and if it doesn’t happen go for elc, no induction. Can I just ask doje was elective a better experience? Did you heal faster eg able to leave hospital sooner? Also, beerey when did you go into labour? How far over did you go? Sorry to hi jack the thread!

Hausfullofgrls Mon 02-Apr-18 19:32:22

Totally your choice (unless medical reasons). I did a vbac with my second and third and loved them. If you feel your doctor isn't listening, don't hesitate to switch doctors. They work for YOU.

LadyPug Mon 02-Apr-18 19:32:43

Yes dobby you can refuse induction and in many places they highly advise against it anyway as it doubles chance of rupture

Dobbythesockelf Mon 02-Apr-18 19:54:02

Thanks for all the replies. I find pregnancy really hard, hyperemesis followed by spd etc so I think I'm finding all this a lot harder than it should be. When I was in hospital for dehydration before Xmas I dis request a different Dr as they didn't listen to me at all so I'm more confident than I was with my dd in that respect. My dd's birth felt so out of my control, rushed into the delivery ward alone as my dh was at home, I wasn't forced into anything but I just remember feeling so overwhelmed by all the questions etc, until the dimorphine kicked in and then I felt great hahaha.

OP’s posts: |
beereyt Mon 02-Apr-18 20:31:22

Ladypug dd was premature so i didn't go over! Yes another pp is right by saying induction and acceleration doincrease risks of rupture so you are totLly justified to refuse induction

superram Mon 02-Apr-18 20:36:54

I had a natural delivery then an emcs. There is no way on earth I would push out another baby-I have a c section overhang and ruined fanjo........

LadyPug Mon 02-Apr-18 22:01:08

Wow beerey what happened with your first? Did you go overdue with the first one?

Dobbythesockelf Wed 04-Apr-18 16:48:23

I went to the appojntment today. They gave me a load of infor on both c section and VBAC. I didn't have to decide right then and I got back in 5 weeks to make my final decision. They told me I could refuse induction, but if I've not gone into labour by 41 weeks they will book in for a section. Still not fully decided but feel more confident that they are going to listen to my choice.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in