Talk

Advanced search

Glan Clwyd Hospital North Wales

(11 Posts)
HCW1 Sun 25-Mar-18 11:49:31

Hello mums in North Wales. Has anyone had any recent experience of giving birth at Glan Clwyd hospital? Due to give birth to twins in Sept 2018 and will be with consultant led care. Could go to Bangor or Glan Clwyd but have opted for GC because of the neonatal unit. New to area but seems like there were a lot of staffing issues back in 2015 when they nearly closed the unit. Wondering if the situation has improved?

OP’s posts: |
Sunshinesaz86 Sun 25-Mar-18 12:20:18

I got discharged yesterday and had great care!

Also my friend had twins delivered at 31 weeks a few months ago they had the old SCBU but said the care was great as they were in a few weeks. But she said the new unit was amazing as did get to see it!

I also had my son in 2015 when there were plans to shut the unit so staffing wasn’t great as some had already been moved on, but he was delivered safe and sound, that is all sorted now.
There is still a lot of building work going on but the staff do there very best to work around it.

Good luck with your twins. 😊x

Pointeshoes Sun 25-Mar-18 12:21:19

I had twins there in 2016 and they were amazing xxx

hacipaleva Sun 25-Mar-18 12:30:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

HCW1 Sun 25-Mar-18 15:05:25

Brilliant. Great to hear first hand positive responses. Oh and congratulations to you both. xx

minimalpatience Sun 25-Mar-18 15:16:35

I had my daughter there unexpectedly when I went into premature labour in November 2017. The consultant and midwives were brilliant, both during and after. I really couldn't fault them.

GaryWilmotsTeeth Mon 26-Mar-18 12:23:25

I had the same choice as you OP but opted for Bangor. But I've heard good things from friends about the care they had at GC. One friend had a v prem baby there and has very good things to say about the care he received on SCBU/neonatal.
My only real experience of GC is taking DD to A&E and then onto the paeds ward, and they were great with her.
As PP's have said, its a bit of a building site at the moment but they work around it.
Parking is horrendous though!!

afreshnewname Mon 26-Mar-18 12:44:01

Iv heard it us improved a lot in recent years, I had my first there 5 years ago and was adamant I'd have my second on the pavement rather than go back, went to Bangor for my second and it was much better

Tj9694 Mon 26-Mar-18 17:30:15

I had my baby there in October 2017. Couldn't fault the care I received during labour I was never without a midwife. All the midwifes and doctors were brilliant. I had an epidural and between me asking for one and me getting one couldn't have been more than 10 minutes. The post natal ward was also OK and they stocked nappies and maternity pads which I hear not all hospitals do. If I have another baby I wouldn't hesitate to have them there.
As PP have said it is a bit of a building site at the moment but can't say that really affected me on the labour and postnatal ward.
Good luck OP smile

HCW1 Tue 27-Mar-18 10:21:31

Thanks everyone for such helpful posts. I am going to visit the hospitals to get a feel for things but I think GC will be the best option for me in the end.

Katyx3 Thu 29-Mar-18 20:33:20

I was offered GC and Wrexham and have picked Wrexham as I practically live a few miles from Chester City centre, hope I've not made wrong choice!? GC seems to get good recommendations x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in