Advanced search

What do you do with the baby

(74 Posts)
Newnaime Thu 22-Feb-18 15:05:53

Overthinking I know, but if you're in hospital on your own, say back on the ward after having baby. What do you do with them when you need the toilet? Take them to the mw office and ask them to watch baby?

Sprinklesinmyelbow Thu 22-Feb-18 15:07:19

Not likely, they don’t really like helping like that grin mine had alarms on the cot, but really I just had to wee when I had a visitor or my partner had to look after her. I needed help to get to the loo though, so it wasn’t ideal. I hated those midwives angry

Doje Thu 22-Feb-18 15:08:43

Just leave them in their crib. The wards are secure, no one comes in without being let in. You're only gone two minutes.

Newnaime Thu 22-Feb-18 15:08:52

On 'one born every minute' they seem to love sitting in the office cuddling a baby! I called bullshit. I'm worrying now

Roseandmabelshouse Thu 22-Feb-18 15:09:03

Take them in with you. Most bathrooms have space for the cots. Life from now one, going to the toilet with an audience!

DownWentTheFlag Thu 22-Feb-18 15:09:20

Yes I did take my baby to the MW office. They offered to keep hold of him for a bit so I could get some sleep.

Schlimbesserung Thu 22-Feb-18 15:09:29

I'd usually ask one of the other mums if I was desperate, but the second I was out of sight all of mine would howl the place down. This usually meant waiting for visiting time for a shower and a wee!

Newnaime Thu 22-Feb-18 15:10:47

rose I thought that.. just thinking about looking like I'm bat shit crazy for doing it. I have an 18mo so I know exactly what it's like to be watched, it'll be nice for this one to offer to wipe me

Newnaime Thu 22-Feb-18 15:11:39

not offer to wipe me

Changingagain Thu 22-Feb-18 15:12:21

I was lucky enough to be in a single room with a wc attached but the cots were also on castors so I saw mums from the ward going past pushing the cot with them when they went to the toilet.

MissTFied Thu 22-Feb-18 15:12:31

They like you to take them with you in the crib on wheels.

Roseandmabelshouse Thu 22-Feb-18 15:13:38

I'm sure that's expected. I personally wouldn't leave a baby unattended because the ward was full of visitors all the time when I was in

user1498549192 Thu 22-Feb-18 15:13:39

We had to take ours with us on my ward; I think they were scared that people would abduct the babies! Anyone who left them by the bed got a real telling off!

Notsooriginalwerther Thu 22-Feb-18 15:13:57

In my ward all I had to do was buzz a midwife and say I’m going for a wee and that was it, baby was in her cot swaddled. The ward is completely secure have to be buzzed in and out and the only other people there are other new mums or potential visitors.

princesspeppax Thu 22-Feb-18 15:14:08

As previous said i always tried to go before dp left as his visiting hours where 9am - 9pm and if i needed i would just say to another mum to keep look while i nipped in for 2 minutes

PeterPiperPickedSeaShells Thu 22-Feb-18 15:14:27

I took mine with me, lots of other mums left theirs while they went to the loo. Seemed a personal choice really

Newnaime Thu 22-Feb-18 15:16:25

I wouldn't like to leave the baby I don't think, especially as I recall how long the first few wee's took me with how sore they were! Hopefully I'm close to the toilet and don't have to wheel the crib through the ward and down the corridor

anotherchangetomyname Thu 22-Feb-18 15:18:27

it'll be nice for this one not to offer to wipe me I thought DS was the only one to do that!

I took DS to the bathroom with me when he was born, I had some serious continence issues after birth so couldn't just wait!

RebeccaCloud9 Thu 22-Feb-18 15:18:49

When I had my 2nd, (huge improvements since having my 1st), I buzzed for a mw and they came pretty quickly to help. Over one night I was exhausted and asked for help and they took him for a good while whilst I caught up on sleep. Was such a godsend.

EagleRay Thu 22-Feb-18 15:19:05

I can remember being desperate to get to the loo but no one to watch DD, who was screaming nonstop (and there was a reason why I couldn't move the crib, but can't remember what it was). In the end a lovely junior Dr offered to have her - will never forget the relief of finally being able to go!

Newnaime Thu 22-Feb-18 15:20:33

anotherchange when I say offer, I mean insist and desperately attempt to do so!

FreeNiki Thu 22-Feb-18 15:21:45

I have an 18mo so I know exactly what it's like

What did you do last time then with your first on a hospital ward?

Newnaime Thu 22-Feb-18 15:22:18

free I wasn't on my own

DearMrDilkington Thu 22-Feb-18 15:23:31

I feel terrible, I just left my dd and went for a wee.blush

She was very sleepy after a pretty long labour though, she was sound asleep.

Grimmfebruary Thu 22-Feb-18 15:25:11

I just left ds. He was fine and the midwives were lovely too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now