Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.
This is a Premium feature
Scared of both c-section and natural birth(12 Posts)
It sounds mad but I am scared of both giving birth naturally and having an elective c-section.
I had my DD 7 years ago by emergency c-section, but was induced and had a drip/epidural and dilated to 9cm before DD went into distress.
I had a general anaesthetic as my spinal only worked on the right side of my body, and as a result, I was very glad to be unconscious as I don't think I could have dealt with being operated on while conscious.
I know that having an elective usually means you are awake, but can someone request being put under if they are really anxious? I'm also pertified of a natural birth, as I'd be opting to have just gas and air as I have a drug-indued movement disorder caused by some antipsychotic drugs, so am very cautious about any medication or drugs that I can now take. Having said this, I would also worry about the effect (if any) the epidural might have on me - not something that an anaesthetist would necessarily know, but something I guess I could ask my consultant (or a neurologist perhaps).
I know I sound like I am being very OTT but to be honest, pregnancy and labour doesn't freak me out - the bit right at the end pushing a baby out does. My DD was 11lb5 and a half oz and huge (probably because of undiagnosed gestational diabetes) but they are keeping an eye on me this time and giving me extra growth scans etc so I don't get so large again!
Has anyone experienced an elective c-section with a general? Is it something that is ever done, or would I be asking for the impossible?
I can't give you very useful advice as I'll have my first baby on the 13th, but I can relate about being anxious about both section and vb, as it took me months to decide (going for ELCS in 3 weeks).
I believe they won't allow you to be under general anaesthetic because of anxiety as this means higher physical risk, but I heard of cases of giving anxiety medication for c-sections. Obvs your issue is more complicated as you have a movement disorder - I'm sure your consultant can refer you to an anaesthetist to explore all of your options. A section is of course not the easy way out of things, but being planned could give you reassurance? I hope it all goes well for you x
I meant to say - the anaesthetist should know, but if he/she doesn't, will be able to refer you to the appropriate person. How many weeks are you?
I'm having a section next week under general, very similar circumstances to you oddly enough.
saratustra thank you for your reply - I'm 23w1d and it will be a while off before I decide so it won't be for ages yet. I'm probably going to ask my consultant at my next appointment and hopefully he should be able to give me some advice.
wowbutter ooh, that's interesting - what are your circumstances that are similar?
Same size baby last time. Same issue with spinal. Induced, distress, spinal failed and was topped up and I was totally paralysed. Very close to being put out. But didn't. I was in distress, so was baby. Lost a lot of blood. Couldn't hold baby for hours afterwards. Ended up really messed up.
Anyway... booking appointment for number two "I am having a section, I am having a general, I am going home as soon as I can stand" repeat repeat repeat. And I am now booked in for that. Bit of arguing. Lots of risk talk. Anaesthetist was the most reasonable of em all, totally agreed with me!
Well, it will have to get out somehow. Don't mean to sound flippant, but it's never much fun
CottonSock well, of course! Obviously I am hoping it will come out somehow - albeit in the best way possible that I can opt for. Baby might have other ideas though and come out of its own accord early, which will reduce my options somewhat...
I opted for an elective cs at 41 weeks second time. Gave her a chance to arrive if she wanted.. which she didn't.
I can't imagine they would risk a ga without medical reason, but I might be wrong. Also, you get to hold baby sooner after epidural.
I had an elective and was told I could choose spinal or full anaesthetic.
I'll be seeing an anesthetist in a couple of weeks to discuss a general anesthetic for my elective.
It's purely personal preference due to anxiety, ptsd and the thought of being awake being utterly horrific. The consultant OB I'm seeing isn't madly happy but agreed that they couldn't force me to have a spinal and referred me to speak to an anesthetist as early as possible to get a plan in place.
Happy to update you after my meeting if you want.
Op your fears, if they go to a point beyond apprehension to anxiety, are to be a medical consideration.
Being a bit worried is not the same thing. I’d say most mums are ‘a bit worried’ about giving birth.
So you have lots of work to do. As Cotton Socks said, it has to come out one way or another (and I am not being flippant, I share your fears).
Is the 7 year gap a choice, or has it taken that long to get your head around taking this on again?
Hypnobirthing has been used successfully not only in natural birth, but also managing anxiety during c-section.
Perinatal mental health support is available but can be a postcode lottery.
Private counselling is always an option. Acknowledging your fears out loud - don’t knock it until you try it! You often find you solve your own dilemmas.
I don’t know about the GA. I will be exploring that as an option too but I’m not as far on as you yet.
My mantra is:
“By Christmas this will all be behind me and I can enjoy my new family... By Christmas this will all be behind me and I can enjoy my new family... By Christmas this will all be behind me and I can enjoy my new family...!!”
I’ll have my Dh, Dd, DPuppy and Our Baby.
My body will have hopefully got over the hardest of the recovery.
Breastfeeding will be properly established or gracefully abandoned in favour of formula.
The sleepless nights will hopefully have evened out a little.
Please login first.