Talk

Advanced search

advice regarding section or natural labour

(3 Posts)
emma441 Tue 20-Feb-18 11:46:01

Hi I’m new to this so I do apologise if this topics been covered many times, and it’s a bit long winded

Basically I’m 37 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. My first birth (6 years ago) was horrendous and my daughter was delivered my forceps and ended up with a broken collar bone, it put me off having anymore sooner.

However this time I’m under consultant care due to a large complex cyst on my left ovary (15cm) it was mentioned to me that If I needed a c section it would be removed then and if not I would have to come back shortly after delivery and have it removed.

Along with the cyst I’ve been back and forward to the cardiac unit with palpatations, dizziness and tachycardia (my heat has reached anything up to 190 bpm and 160 at rest). I also have a very painful back and hips which I’ve always had (my epidural failed the last time as aneathetist couldn’t place it in my spine correctly due to shape of spine) plus my placenta is lower than it should be and I’ve had awful sickness which seems to be getting worse past week again ( I'm a stone lighter now than I was at the start of pregnancy)

With all these other factors my anxiety is now though the roof I thought my consultant would have recommended a section and remove the cyst then but he says there’s a higher chance of loosing the ovary and would still recommend a natural birth, then refer me back to gynae for surgery afterwards. I don't know where I stand with regards to it being my choice to decide, or ultimately is it the consultants?

OP’s posts: |
lemonsquisher Tue 20-Feb-18 11:56:19

I would have thought your first birth experience would give you good grounds to argue for the caesarean in itself, without the added issue of the cyst and the fact that you’d need to go back for surgery if you didn’t opt for the section.

NICE guidelines say that if caesarean is you’re preferred delivery option and your consultant isn’t willing to agree, you can ask to be referred to another consultant.

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Tue 20-Feb-18 12:00:45

I think it is your choice but they’re basing the decision on what’s best for your body, assuming you don’t want to lose that ovary? Maybe you should get a second or third medical opinion.

If you think a natural birth is too stressful you should make sure they know how upset you are about it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in