Talk

Advanced search

Labour pain

(13 Posts)
SipTheCocaCola Mon 12-Feb-18 23:04:30

What’s it really like? How does it compare to period cramps?

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 12-Feb-18 23:08:39

It'll be different for everyone, but for me with a back to back labour it was 1000x worse than period pains. It came in waves and built to a peak, before lessening. When contractions were very close together there was no lessening between them.

I thought I'd feel them in my bump more, but it was all round my lower back. I felt compelled to stand, pace and lean forwards. I'd have fought like a wildcat if anyone had tried to make me lie down.

ShowOfHands Mon 12-Feb-18 23:09:27

Every labour is different. With my first there was no build to contractions, no peak, just 2 minute long hideous pain that I thought would kill me. Then a 30 second break. Rinse and repeat for 30 hours. It was traumatic.

Second labour? Didn't hurt at all.

MinnieMousse Mon 12-Feb-18 23:14:45

It is very individual, I think. A lot depends on the position of the baby and your uterus. I also felt them only in my back,in both labours, although neither DC was back to back. They did start gradually at the beginning, and I had a break between each contraction, even towards the end. They really hurt though, there's no getting past that! There are plenty of different pain-relief options and some people manage fine without any. Tbh, I am a wuss and survived on just a TENS machine and gas and air.

FrozenMargarita17 Mon 12-Feb-18 23:15:51

It wasn't particularly painful for me, it was huge pressure down below and more exhaustion that I struggled with.

I managed it with some paracetamol.

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Mon 12-Feb-18 23:18:26

For me it was a deeper more intense pain than period pain but manageable.
I really did feel that I could breath it away. Each breath pushed the pain further down my abdomen and once it got to the bottom it went away.

I could cope because I knew that it was a ‘good’ pain. It was there for a purpose and there would be an end to it. Theoughout labour i went into myself, knowing that breathing through it and breaks between made it ok.

NoNoCharlieRascal Mon 12-Feb-18 23:19:08

I have always had dreadfully painful periods so I found labour manageable. I had a water birth and no pain relief and actually enjoyed it, it was an incredible experience. But, it was a straight forward pregnancy and birth.

It is, as others have said, different for each person depending on a lot of factors.

notuptoyou Mon 12-Feb-18 23:23:48

Every labour is different and different for every person. My contractions were constant, I never got a break until babies arrived with all labours. I remember with 1 & 3 half way in wanting epidurals but never got them.

All labours were managed drug free, baby no.2 was biggest and back to back and my easiest labour.

SipTheCocaCola Mon 12-Feb-18 23:27:01

Thanks for all the replies. I’m not yet pregnant as I am unsure yet how I would deal with pregnancy and labour and if it’s something I am willing to go through at this stage in my life.

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 12-Feb-18 23:30:41

It's worth saying that i found it manageable with movement and a tens machine.

You can have an epidural which is usually very effective as pain relief.

Kingsclerelass Mon 12-Feb-18 23:35:34

What do you mean 'at your stage of life'. Are you at the younger or older end of what's possible?

SipTheCocaCola Tue 13-Feb-18 00:34:59

Younger. Early 20s but currently experiencing some MH issues relating to anxiety and worry (hmm) that I’ll have anxiety about the pain all through pregnancy. I have a 12mo DN who lives with her single dad (my DB) in our family home. Due to this DN and I are extremely close as I’m an additional guardian type role to her. But feel I’m getting a bit too attached and wanting to play that role so would love a child of my own with DP

Kingsclerelass Tue 13-Feb-18 00:50:44

To be honest, I didn't find birth too bad, long and exhausting but no screaming in agony.
The worst bit was the first six months. Being stuck at home with a newborn, with galloping hormones, baby blues and usually not much money, is lonely, isolating and a challenge to anyone's MH.
While you need to do what is right for you, just try to go into it with your eyes open. Don't get a Dewey eyed view of motherhood and end up being disappointed. You have plenty of time. Enjoy time with your dn but don't put yourself under any pressure. Get yourself happy & well first.
(Don't get me wrong, I adore my ds and wouldn't be without him)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now