Advanced search

Childbirth after previous shoulder dystocia

(13 Posts)
welliwasntexpectingthat Mon 12-Feb-18 11:00:35

Any help on this wouold be great. My first child was born at a surprising (at the time) 10lb and if I ignore the length of labour and pain was relatively straight forward. Second ended up being relatively quick (due to drip) but got stuck and was born at 9lb 14. I'm expecting again and have read around this a lot but am still confused. I don't think it neccessarily means I should have a CS but lots suggest an early inducion might be an idea. I'm confused because a lot of the evidence also suggests it is position not just size...does anyoe have any real life experience they could share?

TheChippendenSpook Mon 12-Feb-18 11:05:41

When my youngest was born, he was stuck and only weighed 6lb 10. As an aside, he was entangled in his cord and also needed to be resuscitated.

parrotonmyshoulder Mon 12-Feb-18 11:09:10

My first birth was similar to your second - also 10lb and got stuck. I had had the oxytocin drip and an epidural - I don’t think either helped.
For my second birth I had read a book by JuJu Sundin called ‘Birth Skills’ and I used the techniques in that. Who knows if it was a coincidence but it was very easy and quick. Staying upright (kneeling in the end) helped position him I think. He was the same size as his sister (and I’m really small).

TheChippendenSpook Mon 12-Feb-18 12:31:12

I also forgot to say that I was induced too.

welliwasntexpectingthat Mon 12-Feb-18 13:03:03

So does induction raise the chances of them getting stuck I wonder? I'll look ito that next.

awankstainonhumanity Mon 12-Feb-18 20:57:36

My friends son got cerebral palsy due to getting stuck. Thankfully only mild but she opted for a c section second time, I'm not surprised.

babynelly2010 Tue 13-Feb-18 16:34:33

My dc2 had sd at 9lb 4 oz, he was not positioned well and never turned to the ultimate position for birth. It was very traumatic but luckily he was fine. Both of us had ptsd I think for a long time following. Dc3 was emcs, I wish I pushed harder for elective. Dc3 had exactly same situation, back to back except she got stuck earlier in the canal and never descended. I made them to do me a growth scan and we knew she will be big. But nhs could give a monkey's bum, they made me labour for hours before giving me the csection. I was against induction but really birthing a large baby naturally for someone of my size 1.6 m tall and petit was not safe.

TriJo Wed 14-Feb-18 23:23:20

DS2 was a SD delivery, he was a 38 week 7lb 2 skinny little thing! I was induced, went from 6cm to 10 cm dilated very quickly (40 minutes?) and he didn't have time to turn properly on the way down. Like a previous poster he needed to be resuscitated, he had a true knot in the cord which was also around his neck.

sycamore54321 Thu 15-Feb-18 12:28:45

SD is one of my nightmare things to panic over and if I had any sort of increased risk for it, I would definitely want a section or an induction as soon as I hit term.

Induction can be associated with an increase in SD but as far as I understand, it's not clear whether this is because the poor positioning or large size that caused the SD reduces the chance of spontaneous labour, or whether induction itself has an additional effect.

I would be having a very serious discussion with your consultant on the full picture of risks and would be very hesitant about simply waiting around for spontaneous labour after you hit term. It also goes without saying that a consultant unit, rather than midwife-led or home birth.

Bubbinsmakesthree Thu 15-Feb-18 12:57:37

I had an ELCS due to size of baby and risk of SD. As I understand it predicted birth weight of 11lb or above and ELCS should be considered in preference to natural birth. Obviously I'll never know what would have happened if nature had taken it's course but as he was 10lb 7oz with an absolutely massive head circumference it's possible we both dodged a bullet. I had to press my obstetrician a little to get the ELCS.

rainydogday Thu 15-Feb-18 13:04:31

You should have a discussion with an obstetrician and a birth plan made. The midwives usually inform the doctor of admission and ask them to be on the ward for delivery in case they are needed. You could also ask the midwives to request your old notes, have a debrief of what actually happened last time, which can help you and your obstetric team make s plan for this time.

KermitsLoveChild Thu 15-Feb-18 13:13:09

I have had two CS as a result of previous SD. Consultant felt the was the safest option for me.

welliwasntexpectingthat Fri 16-Feb-18 13:12:57

What is classed as a large head circ?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: