Talk

Advanced search

Debrief?

(9 Posts)
owltrousers Sun 11-Feb-18 10:19:22

I gave birth 3 weeks ago, my waters were broken at 41+5 and it was a very quick 3 hour labour which ended with forceps delivery, almost 2L blood loss and an episiotomy and a 2nd degree tear.

I can't stop going over and over in my head the events of that day (good and bad) and I am still a bit unsure about what actually happened as the midwives were telling me I was only in early labour for the first hour, but when a consultant was called in it turned out I was actually 8cm dilated and the track and trace they put on me was not picking up my contractions. I was also forced into positions that put me in excruciating pain at times and I'd like to know why.

How do you go about asking for a debrief? I was signed off midwife care last week.

Thank you.

MmmMalbec Sun 11-Feb-18 10:44:07

Contact the maternity unit at the hospital and they should be able to refer you. I had a crazy birth with ds1 and had a debrief. Well worth it!

Thisonetimething Sun 11-Feb-18 13:23:10

I had a debrief as well and it really helped me understand what had happened. I did mine abiu t 10weeks after DS was born and I think it helped that I waited for a bit and was less hormonal and emotionally raw about it when I did it.

user1493413286 Sun 11-Feb-18 13:25:03

You can call the maternity unit and request one; I had one with a midwife counsellor and consultant as I had a very traumatic birth. You might not get it with the consultant if you weren’t under their care but you can ask for one with a midwife who will go through your notes with you

AllTheWayDown Sun 11-Feb-18 14:33:52

I was wondering this the other week. Does anyone know how long after the birth can you have a debrief? Is there a time limit? I only ask as I had dd 9 months ago but her birth still really affects me, it wasn't a very nice experience.

Ihatemarmite123 Sun 11-Feb-18 17:17:17

I wanted to know more info on my birth and why the midwife took the gas and air off me when my contractions were back to back. My current midwife told me I had to request my notes through pals

Thisonetimething Sun 11-Feb-18 19:33:08

@allthewaydown after a certain time the notes are achieved and you have to request them specially and sometimes there is a cost of this is the case. As pp said check with pals

Lules Sun 11-Feb-18 19:38:28

alltheway I had mine about 18 months after as I was pregnant with my second which brought it all back. Apparently that’s very common and it wasn’t a problem arranging it. I wish I’d done it months earlier though. It was so helpful.

AllTheWayDown Mon 12-Feb-18 08:22:17

Thank you very much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now