Dad - 10lb 6oz
Mum - 9lb 12oz
Big brother - 8lb 6oz
Me - 8lb 12oz
Little brother (born two weeks early) - 7lb 14oz

Very worrying as was planning on having vaginal birth however on the other hand

My partner - 6lb 12oz
His Sister - 6lb 6oz

Do you think I might luck out and have a 6-7lb baby? Going to mention to midwife at next appointment, see if she sends me for growth scans. I'm much smaller build than my mum was when she gave birth so also a worry.

Hotpinkangel19 Fri 09-Feb-18 07:07:33

None of those are huge birthweights! I wouldn't worry!!!

QueenAravisOfArchenland Fri 09-Feb-18 08:23:22

Apart from your dad none of those are actually that huge. You and your siblings weren't.

You'll be monitored during pregnancy anyway so why get ahead of yourself? If your medical team have concerns they'll raise them. But there's nothing in what you've posted to raise concerns about a vaginal birth.

GoatPavlova Fri 09-Feb-18 08:26:03

Birthweight per se does not mean a difficult birth. They’re not particularly huge.

BertrandRussell Fri 09-Feb-18 08:27:07

Why do you think those are huge birthweights? Isn't the average 7.12 or something around there? Your donand hus sister were quite little!

Whatisthewhatisthewhat Fri 09-Feb-18 08:28:27

I really wouldn’t worry. Head circumference is what matters wink

RumerGodden Fri 09-Feb-18 08:36:43

agree with PP's....

1) not huge birthweights

2) head circumference is really the only thing that matters, a few fat as butter limbs or a long and skinny bub is not going to make a difference....just hope you don't get a pumpkinhead.

Mjnhb Fri 09-Feb-18 08:40:59

Two of my children were over ten pounds. One was seven and a half. The lightest was the hardest to deliver.

The baby’s position is far more important in labour than its weight.

owltrousers Fri 09-Feb-18 10:22:21

Agree with PP's, I gave birth two weeks ago and although baby was only 7lb his head was 39cm which I'm told is on the larger side and he was in the total wrong position which meant forceps were needed. I really wouldn't worry about weight.

DavidGandyfanclubpresident Fri 09-Feb-18 10:25:19

My friend had 2 boys, one was 7lb 4oz and the other 11lb 5oz. She said the bigger one was a million times easier as it seemed gravity was on her side. First son needed forceps and she took far longer to recover.

Newmrs22 Fri 09-Feb-18 22:03:05

Mine was 8lb 5oz. So not tiny, but wasn't a problem at all. I'm quite small too. Don't worry about it.

DrWhy Fri 09-Feb-18 22:12:46

I was 9lb 2oz my baby sister was 11lb 7oz, my husband 9ish and his sister 8ish. I was measuring ‘a wee bit big’ throughout my pregnancy but wasn’t at all bothered. My DS turned out to be 9lb 6oz and was an uncomplicated birth, 12 hours from first twinge and no intervention. If your family have all been big babies you are probably built to happily deliver a big baby.

Allthecake Fri 09-Feb-18 22:23:43

My aunt had two babies over 10 pounds, both pregnancies were uncomplicated and labours were quick - the midwife said the high birth weights will have helped speed along the deliveries.

RandomMess Fri 09-Feb-18 22:25:14

I'm 5' tiny size 8 hips, my babies were all 9 & 10lbers it was fine!

Bigpizzalover Fri 09-Feb-18 22:31:23

I’m 5ft 3” and pre pregnancy size 8. My first was 5lb 13 my second was 8lb 10, id rather give birth to the 2nd again - much easier. Midwife said larger but not huge babies are easier to birth as gravity and weight helps them down the canal.

For what it’s worth I was 4lb 15oz and DH was 9lb 12 so I don’t think that has too much to do with it as my birth weights were so different and both born at 40 exact and 40+3

Wolfiefan Fri 09-Feb-18 22:36:21

A 6lb baby is very small. I wouldn't consider that something to hope for.
Being a slight build is irrelevant. You can't tell by looking at someone what size baby they could birth vaginally. It's the inside measurements that count IYSWIM.

fannyanddick Fri 09-Feb-18 22:43:21

I had one 9.10. All fine, no tearing at all. Though I did get stretch marks! I'm 5 foot 4.

awankstainonhumanity Mon 12-Feb-18 20:56:12

I'm a family of larger than average- 6 babies between 9lb2 and 10lb10. My DS was 6lb6! I was very surprised. It was also a long and difficult labour!

Prusik Mon 12-Feb-18 21:00:09

My boys were 6lb6 and 6lb2. Not something I'd recommend as first was sickly and second, although healthy, considered vulnerable because of his weight. Healthcare professionals have been cautious about my two because of their sizes.

Keepingupwiththejonesys Mon 12-Feb-18 21:07:51

My first was 9lb2oz
Second 9lb3(and a half) oz
Third 10lb8oz

My second was the easiest birth, then third and then first. All of them pretty straight forward though. I'm 5" 6 so not exactly a very 'big' person but I managed absolutely fine with just gas and air with 1st and 3rd and nothing but water (waterbirth) with second. You can and will do this. I thought hypnobirthing was a load of bollocks, never did it with first. Did it with the others and would highly recommend.

bananasandwicheseveryday Mon 12-Feb-18 21:18:57

Among my circle of family and friends, those of us who had the bigger babies (mine were 8.5 &10.5lb), seemed to have the easier births. Those who had the difficult births or who needed intervention, tended to have smaller babies, 6lb and under. I can't direct you to any scientific studies, it is purely anecdotal, but it is true amongst my circle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now