Talk

Advanced search

Birth pool questions!

(3 Posts)
SexLubeAndAFishSlice Tue 06-Feb-18 16:10:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

teaping Wed 07-Feb-18 08:02:04

Join the Facebook group ‘Home birth uk’ - loads and loads of info and birth stories and other similar questions on there. I’m aiming for a home birth and find that page really useful and interesting.,

mindutopia Wed 07-Feb-18 10:16:18

How long it takes to fill depends on your boiler. It's pretty easy to actually set up (takes maybe 15 minutes, but assuming you have an out of the way space and no pets, you can set it up in advance and just leave it, but really it takes no time at all to get out and inflate). With my first, we lived in a very old drafty, cold cottage with a really shit boiler. We never got it filled to the right temp. It was filled, but cold and I really didn't like it anyway. I did get in for 20 minutes and hated it and got out. I would assume it takes about 1-2 hours to fill with the average boiler.

It's somewhat insulated and you'll need to keep the room warm anyway, which will help (unless you have a really old drafty house like I did). Often you don't get in until labour is well established anyway, but if it does cool down, you just have your birth partner decant some water with a clean bucket and then fill up with boiling water from the kettle or a pot. You need to get the temp about 37C. You can get an insulated top for it, so you can put that over it to keep the heat in after it's filled but before you get in.

It's relatively easy to empty and clean (not that I did it and I didn't birth in it anyway as I got out). Most hire pools come with a submersible pump (like the kind you'd use for fish ponds). You just remove any solid waste with a ladle (if there is any) and then put the pump in and pump it out through a hosepipe. You can empty it in the sink, bath, even a toilet I think. Then the pool should have a liner, so you just take that out and bin it. Usually you'll be asked to wipe it down with a bleach solution or antibacterial cleaner and leave to dry before returning.

How much of a faff it is depends on your boiler and what help you have. I'm having another home birth this time (I'm 39 weeks, so any day now), but personally not having a pool. I didn't use it last time so couldn't be bothered this time. Also, I wanted my dh to be focused on our dd more than me and the pool, so seemed unnecessary. Most people who have home births do use a pool, but really depends on if you want a water birth mainly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now