Talk

Advanced search

Anxiety about ELCS... can I be medicated?!

(14 Posts)
WaitingTillJuly17 Tue 06-Feb-18 11:35:04

Long story short, I have to have an ELCS due to previous surgery. During that surgery whilst being prepared for theatre with cannulas, spinal etc I freaked out so much that I had to be given midazolam to keep me still enough for the spinal (for pain relief post op) and administer my general anaesthetic.

I’ll speak to my anaesthetist during my pre op appointment but was wondering if anyone else had been administered something to calm them down pre c-section and how it effected their experience, did you feel it was beneficial or did it just make your first few moments with your baby a haze?

Obviously I would rather not have any sort of pre-medication if possible and I know that the prospect of my baby being born should in theory take away some of that anxiety but in all honesty, the last time the anxiety hit, it was as if something had taken over my body so not really something I feel that I will necessarily have control over on the day no matter how much I try to rationalise it!

All help very much appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
Dinosauratemydaffodils Tue 06-Feb-18 12:00:46

I had a very bad experience with my emcs (not for anything surgical but flashbacks to something else entirely) and I'm currently pregnant again.

I want a general anesthetic but have been told I could have something for anxiety but only after the baby is out if I'm willing to try a spinal. My gut feeling is that it's probably not worth it, however that's clouded by my previous experiences which included disassociation and hallucinations.

Various people including Doctors have suggested hypnobirthing as an option to me, no idea if that's something you would consider. I've certainly read about a few women finding it really useful during c-sections. I'm currently toying with the idea but my baby isn't due to June so I have some wriggle room. When is your baby due?

PinkyBlunder Tue 06-Feb-18 12:08:46

I had a ELCS last week and I was terrified. I found that the surgical team were more than prepared for this and were kind, supportive and reassuring which really helped as I felt like I could trust them from the word go. They (and DH!) were experts in the art of distraction and at times we were so busy chatting away I hardly noticed what was going on behind the screen. I’m happy to tell you it was a good experience and I needn’t have worried so much.

Can totally see how hypnobirthing could help. I used hypnobirthing during labour with DD1 and thoroughly recommend it for helping anxiety. Definitely worth a look into.

WaitingTillJuly17 Tue 06-Feb-18 12:22:14

I’m booked in for next month so not a lot of time left. I think I’ll try some hypnobirthing techniques but will still mention my anxiety at my pre-op appointment. In a way it feels worse than if I went into labour then had to have a c-section as at least I wouldn’t have so much time to dwell on it!

scaredofthecity Tue 06-Feb-18 12:34:04

It would be unlikely they would give you anything until the baby is out, there are risks giving any sedative medication so close to birth.
I would definately talk about your fears with the anaethetist. The theatre team in general should be very used to anxious patients and if you let them know they'll do their best to work with you.

PinkyBlunder Tue 06-Feb-18 12:34:46

Totally get where you’re coming from there. I found knowing the date so difficult because it just seemed to be there looking at me. It made it impossible to feel excited! Have an honest chat with them, hopefully they’ll be able to ease at least some of your worries.

Dinosauratemydaffodils Tue 06-Feb-18 12:38:27

Are you seeing your consultant/midwife between now and then? Could you ask for a referral to the anesthetist's clinic asap so you aren't waiting til the pre-OP?

I know what you mean about the dwelling on it. I think I'm going to be a total mess by June, I'm already having nightmares and wondering what the hell I was thinking getting pregnant.

SippingSipsmith Tue 06-Feb-18 12:39:50

I have a history of anxiety and an ELCS for multiple birth. Just before surgery I asked anaesthetist if there was anything they could give me as I was so nervous. I'm sorry I don't know what they gave me but it worked enough to get the spinal injection thing in no problems and then my leg fell off the operating table before they started and as I couldn't feel it I couldn't put it back. Whatever they gave me was good because I remember finding this HILARIOUS and roaring with laughter. The drugs wore off as they were sewing me up and I got a bit panicky. Worth asking. Good luck! X

WaitingTillJuly17 Tue 06-Feb-18 14:12:55

Sipping did you find the medication made your memory of your first moments with your babies blurry? Did it effect the amount of time you had to wait to hold them?

Regarding neonatal effects, I have read a few studies which indicate no adverse effects when using midazolam immediately prior to c-section although I will of course take the opinion of the anaesthetist at my pre-op as they will have individual experience and insight to offer.

My pre-op is a week before my c-section so I don't want to take up any more appointments, I will see my midwife between now and then but midwife has already said to discuss it at the pre-op when I brought up how anxious I was (I was practically crying just talking briefly with her). I think that a week before will be enough time to talk with the anaesthetist, and at the end of the day, baby is coming out one way or another! 😫 I'm trying to focus on what comes after rather than the actual event!

TheShaniaTwainExperience Tue 06-Feb-18 14:14:28

They had to do 3 attempts at the spinal which made me anxious and scared so they gave me something to calm me down

I was a bit spacey but I remember everything clear as day

SippingSipsmith Tue 06-Feb-18 14:47:52

I do remember everything fine but like previous poster has said - perhaps felt a bit spacey but I had so much adrenaline and relief anyway I'm not sure any of the spacey feeling had anything to do with the drugs. I definitely had the feeling of them wearing off while they were stitching me up. The utter relief that DT were our safety and nestled either side of my face is something I'll never forget. I probably remember the experience much better than the 6 months of feeding and changing and not sleeping that ensued!

KimmySchmidt1 Tue 06-Feb-18 16:02:45

Have you tried helping yourself to manage your feelings by taking time to train yourself in hypnobirthing and breathing exercises? Meditation and relaxation techniques really work and will make you feel much better about yourself than dosing up on chemicals to incapacitate you.

WaitingTillJuly17 Tue 06-Feb-18 20:26:22

I will try some relaxation techniques however I don’t really view manufactured drugs as the enemy (quite the opposite, I am a pharmacist). What would really make me feel better is knowing there is a plan in place for if things do go wrong in terms of the anxiety I’m feeling and don’t think it will benefit myself or the baby if I’m so busy freaking out about the operation that I am distracted from the birth of my baby. I really appreciate knowing what it was like for some of you other ladies and it makes me feel a little more at ease, and I’ll have a look into some hypnobirthing too so I’ll hopefully be well prepared!

Chaosofcalm Tue 06-Feb-18 20:29:09

No experience of this but I found hypnobirthing kept me calm durring the rushed theatre prep for my EMCS even though DD went into distress.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in