Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Best maternity pad?

(41 Posts)
bananaramama Tue 09-Jan-18 16:24:10

Any recommendations? With wings/without wings?!

Thank you!

UnitedKungdom Tue 09-Jan-18 16:25:33

Maternity pads don't come with wings. Any of the maternity pads are fine, all the same really.

Are you thinking of normal sanitary towels? Don't use them for maternity. They're not suitable.

NickMyLipple Tue 09-Jan-18 16:28:05

Why don't they have wings? I hate sanitary towels without wings so not sure how I'll cope with maternity pads without them 🤤

bananaramama Tue 09-Jan-18 16:29:15

Mothercare do some with wings....

lovelyjubilly Tue 09-Jan-18 16:29:57

The asda ones have wings too.

INeedNewShoes Tue 09-Jan-18 16:30:17

I used a few different brands and Boots own brand were best in my view for comfort and absorbing (better than more expensive naturacare).

UnitedKungdom Tue 09-Jan-18 16:31:03

Ah, I've never seen ones with wings!

You don't need wings. They're so thick and massive.

bananaramama Tue 09-Jan-18 16:32:24

I'm just a bit paranoid that if they don't have wings it'll look like something has been massacred in my pants!

@Ineednewshoes thanks - I'll try Boots then!

UnitedKungdom Tue 09-Jan-18 16:34:03

Here they are. But total rip off!

www.mothercare.com/items-for-mum/mothercare-maternity-towels-with-wings--24-pack/757289.html?cgid=hospital_bag_mum#sz=12&start=16

UnitedKungdom Tue 09-Jan-18 16:35:05

I love the big fat cheap ones. They give good counter pressure on a very sore crotch!

teenytinypontypine Tue 09-Jan-18 16:35:59

I liked Sainsbury's ones. No wings though.

EssentialHummus Tue 09-Jan-18 16:37:17

Either any doubled up, or Tena maxi for me.

StopTheRoundabout Tue 09-Jan-18 16:38:47

I got the Medicare Green Maternity Pads. They are big but you need something thick so they don't leak in the early days. They don't have wings but stay in place. Stock up on the big cotton Brigid Jones/Granny style knickers too for comfort. They're usually cheap enough and you can bin them afterwards.

StopTheRoundabout Tue 09-Jan-18 16:40:46

If your waters break before going to the hospital, put on a pad so the mw can check the content (colour/scent) of the waters.

JediStoleMyBike Tue 09-Jan-18 16:42:36

Tesco ones were a lifesaver for me after my waters broke - and kept trickling for hours and hours and days and months... Ok, it wasn't that long but it was certainly hours. Comfortable afterwards too 🙂

bananaramama Tue 09-Jan-18 16:43:07

Great, thanks so much everyone, so many suggestions!

UnitedKungdom Tue 09-Jan-18 16:50:23

Have some disposable changing mats in the house for waters breaking! Mine gushed all day and no way a pad would have held them. So I sat on an absorbent changing mat instead to save all the furniture! Went through about 8 pairs of bottoms thoughsmile

FusionChefGeoff Tue 09-Jan-18 16:50:35

Kotex nighttime towels were amazing - super absorbent, HUGE so no worries on leaks and really thick and pillowy to sit on

whatsittoyou Tue 09-Jan-18 17:52:00

I agree no pad coped with my waters breaking it just leaked and leaked and leaked and ...... I ended up putting in dds nappies.
Pads for after the birth on the other hand, all much of a muchness really. Just massive and cheap enough to buy several packets.

EightdaysaweekIloveu Tue 09-Jan-18 17:56:09

mybirthbox.co.uk/product/medicare-maternity-pads/

For the 1st few days you will probably need these ones. Glamorous as they are, they do the job the best.

My friend had her first baby this summer and bought nighttime ALways pads, I tried telling her that they wouldn't be up to the job but she had to learn herself.

baxtersmum Tue 09-Jan-18 18:08:40

Agree with Pp about Kotex nighttime towels. I used two at a time and was a brilliant cushion for my episiotomy wound. The thin ones were useless for me!

EssentialHummus Tue 09-Jan-18 18:25:21

Have some disposable changing mats in the house for waters breaking

Also good for changing nappies on - go for incontinence pads rather than changing mats, way cheaper and same purpose.

StopTheRoundabout Tue 09-Jan-18 18:39:00

Remember to put a water proof mattress protector on your bed just in case your waters go at night.

badg3r Tue 09-Jan-18 18:45:03

Great tips about handling waters breaking! Mattress protector is also great for after the birth of the baby is sick on the bed.
I used Tesco maternity pads. No wings but I liked them. They now do a thin version too for when most of the bleeding has stopped.

bananaramama Wed 10-Jan-18 14:17:20

Thanks everyone! Some really great suggestions/advice. It's much apprecited.

I already have a hippychick mattress protector so that's all sorted.
I think I may buy a variety of maternity pads and just see which works best!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: