Advanced search

Likihood of induction - reduced movement

(18 Posts)
MrsPicklesonSmythe Wed 03-Jan-18 21:54:17

I’ve had 3 incidents of reduced movement. All genuine, more than 24hrs long and have been for monitoring each time as advised. On 3rd occasion, this week (34 weeks) I’ve been referred for an urgent scan, consultant appointment and been told I need 2 x weekly monitoring from this point onwards. Mw also mentioned that consultant may want to organise induction at term. That could have meant 37 weeks, could mean due date I’m not sure.

I’m happy to do whatever is in the best interest of my baby, it’s not my first I’m under no illusions birth wise so long as I can get to term I’m ok with whatever it best.

Anyone with a similar experience or any idea how likely it is that I’ll be induced early particularly if it were to happen again? (hopefully it won’t!) I still have a lot of organising to do I could do with as much time on my side as poss really. Trying to work out how likely it is that I’ll have a newborn in 3 weeks.

OP’s posts: |
Helbelle75 Wed 03-Jan-18 22:10:44

I went in 4 times for reduced movement, and was monitored twice weekly between 35 and 40 weeks. There was talk of inducing me at 38 weeks, but as a scan and monitoring were all fine, they just went with the monitoring.
The plan was always to induce at 40 weeks because I was 41 at the time. I was going to refuse, but decided to go with it as I just wanted her out safely. In the end she was born by emcs at 40+5!
I think it very much depends in you and your baby and how the monitoring is going, I felt very reassured that they were keeping an eye on us and any sign of a problem and we were in the right place.
Good luck.

Mummyme87 Thu 04-Jan-18 08:28:38

Will depend on trust policy. My unit is 2 episodes after 27weeks to offer induction between 38-39weeks, and twice weekly CTG until then... if you want obviously you can decline any of that. Would be unusual to induce at 37weeks unless concerns on scan as that is still pretty early

MrsPicklesonSmythe Mon 22-Jan-18 20:10:00

Just updating for anyone going through similar.
Had 34 weeks Scan which was fine, then consultant appointment who wanted me to continue twice weekly ctg’s and a follow up appointment at 36 weeks with a view to booking an induction at 38 weeks if things continue.
Things have continued the same, further episodes of reduced movement despite a lot of effort to get things moving but ctg’s have satisfied the criteria.
Baby hasn’t moved from it’s one position throughout entire pregnancy, I can always tell them exactly where to place monitor for heartbeat this seems unusual to me and has not been my experience in previous pregnancies.
Saw consultant again today at 36+5 who now wants another scan tomorrow, mixed messages about monitoring basically even though I’ve had repeat episodes it’s down to me if I want to continue the twice weekly appointments or just go if Baby seems quiet.
We have agreed that when I go back (yet again!) to see her next week, at 37+5 she will do a sweep or at least see if I’m looking like I may be be favourable for induction to be booked for 38-39 weeks but made it clear that there’s no problem being evidenced with the baby so I basically just feel like a twat making a fuss now.

OP’s posts: |
rainbownights Mon 22-Jan-18 20:27:08

Good luck for scan tomorrow.

And don't feel a twat, if you didn't go and get checked out the stress of wondering would be bad for baby, so you have to go!

DuggeeHugs Mon 22-Jan-18 20:34:37

Good luck for tomorrow and don't feel like you've made a fuss - keep getting checked as needed.

If it helps, my third trimester with DC2 was a nightmare with reduced movements - maternity care was moved to FHU at 30 weeks. CTGs twice weekly from then on, plus the various times movement reduced in between, scans and appointments. I'd wanted a CS rather than VBAC and had this agreed for 38+6. After the CS the surgeon was able to offer an explanation for it all and I'm so glad that I didn't just shut up about the movements and not go in.

MrsPicklesonSmythe Mon 22-Jan-18 20:48:45

That’s the thing it’s just so different to my other two. If there was something wrong the one time I didn’t go I’d never forgive myself.
I think I’m just frustrated because I was hoping that I’d just get an induction date for 38 weeks today and there’s be an end in sight.

OP’s posts: |
MrsPicklesonSmythe Mon 22-Jan-18 20:49:42

Duggeehugs what was the explaination for it?

OP’s posts: |
DuggeeHugs Mon 22-Jan-18 21:12:00

The cord was wrapped three times around the neck - they weren't able to pick it up on scans, etc.

I remember the frustration you mention well - I also became increasingly anxious as my delivery approached as I just wanted DC out safely.

Remember that you're not being silly or a nuisance. If you need to go in, do it flowers

muchtooyoung Mon 22-Jan-18 23:04:54

I had three episodes of reduced movement (anterior placenta) but still knew things weren't 'normal' for me. The third was 3 days before my due date and they induced me that day even though the ctg was fine.

MrsPicklesonSmythe Tue 23-Jan-18 06:14:42

That is exactly my concern, short cord (is that a thing?) or cord wrapped around neck. I’m going to get them to spend some extra time looking for that if poss this morning I just have a feeling that’s what’s going on.

OP’s posts: |
eurochick Tue 23-Jan-18 06:37:53

I was going to suggest cord around the neck. That would explain the reduced movement and the one place. A short cord is also possible - I had that.

DuggeeHugs Tue 23-Jan-18 07:13:29

Whether they find something today or not, perhaps you could update your birth plan/discuss your concerns with them and look at how closely they will monitor your labour and what the thresholds will be for intervention if necessary

Lyyolls Tue 23-Jan-18 10:14:49

I had similar for cord around the neck with my son. On the last day of reduced movement I was sent for an emcs as the consultant said she didn't feel comfortable leaving baby inside. We only found the reason for reduced movement after baby was born. I hope all goes well today.

MrsPicklesonSmythe Tue 23-Jan-18 18:24:28

Just want to keep this updated for anyone who may search it later on. I’ve been looking up old threads for reassurance myself so it may help someone else.

Scan today showed a happy baby but sonographer was unable to look at the cord at all other than to check a section if it for blood flow which was good. Any compressions in it would have showed in the slowing down of baby’s growth which hasn’t happened so it may be an issue but we won’t know until b-day and it’s not causing us a problem before then so a good outcome today.

OP’s posts: |
DuggeeHugs Tue 23-Jan-18 21:50:12

I'm glad to hear it went well today Mrs smile

MrsPicklesonSmythe Tue 30-Jan-18 09:04:38

Went for follow up with consultant yesterday and all was well. They are bringing me back for a sweep tomorrow when I hit 38 weeks. They’ve said a mw can perform another sweep a few days later if that doesn’t work but if all else fails I’m booked for induction at 38+6 I’m to continue monitoring ctg appointments in between.

Finish line in sight!

OP’s posts: |
TriJo Tue 30-Jan-18 09:41:53

I had my second bout of reduced movements at 37+6, got the pessary the next day. It seems to be induction at 38 weeks after 2 bouts of reduced movements here as well.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in