Talk

Advanced search

Long latent labour in second birth?

(9 Posts)
DueDec17 Wed 06-Dec-17 16:26:06

Looking for some advice... with my DD (1st child) I had three days of low level (but still painful) contractions before things got going properly. I'm 39 weeks and starting to have some cramps which feel sort of 'laboury' - I'm counting on my parents for childcare when I'm in labour and really would prefer to get her to theirs in plenty of time (only 30 mins away) as it's the first time she's stayed away from me (although knows my parents extremely well) so don't want it to be stressful and rushed but also don't want to spend three days coming back and forth! If you had a long latent phase in first labour was your second birth quicker or should I expect similar?

dinosaurkisses Wed 06-Dec-17 23:31:24

Watching this with interest- I had 4 days of latent labour with DD and I'm pinning all my hopes on that being purely down to her being my first!

DueDec17 Fri 08-Dec-17 07:39:30

Well I'm still going after two nights of all night contractions that tail off after they get going so safe to say the long latent phase can happen on your second baby too....(sorry!)

Sweetpotatoaddict Fri 08-Dec-17 07:45:59

I had the same with both dc. It's so frustrating and exhausting. We packed ds off to my parents the first night of it all, and then he came back each day. Meant if we had to do the hospital dash during the night he wasn't dragged from bed and woke up in the morning somewhere strange. I had four nights of it before induction. Good luck op

Ecureuil Fri 08-Dec-17 07:52:18

Yes, I’m afraid so. I had really long latent labours with both (although the second was overall less painful)

makingmiracles Fri 08-Dec-17 08:02:29

Sorry, I know it’s not what your going to want to hear but I’ve had 5 pregnancies and each birth had a really long latent phase lasting 2-4 days, my fifth was the 4 day one and was bloody awful and to top it off when I was actually at hospital they wouldn’t give me pain relief(g&a) as they didn’t believe I was in established labour....I ended up getting some just under an hour before she was born, by which time I was climbing the walls.
Any way you can pack off dc 1 to a relative when the latent phase starts? Sleep and eat as much as you can and remember to keep well hydrated as dehydration can exasperate lantent labour contractions
Good luck x

DueDec17 Sat 09-Dec-17 07:49:09

Another night of all night contractions that tailed off by 6am... so frustrating! I'm exhausted now.

ThinkOfAWittyNameLater Sat 09-Dec-17 07:56:21

Yes I did second time. It lasted 2 weeks. Thankfully I'm an idiot and just thought it was Brixton hicks becoming more intense! shockblush

Avocado0nToast Sat 09-Dec-17 09:04:32

Very frustrating sorry to say I had the same with both children. However I would say with my second when really kicked off I instantly knew it was really happening - it was pretty instant full on contractions and baby was born 30 minutes after arriving at hospital. So all this stop and starting might mean it's very quick when it gets going 'for real' - fingers crossed for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now