Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone have PROM at term? What happened with your second birth?

(28 Posts)
CrossFreelancer Wed 06-Dec-17 13:57:47

I had PROM (premature rupture of membranes) ending in C-section.

Basically... my waters broke at 40 weeks but no contractions ever happened spontaneously... so after 36 hours of no labour, I had to be induced on the oxytocin drip.

After 12 hours of effective contractions, they tried taking me off the drip, but labour slowed and so they needed to put me back in the drip. Another 12 hrs later I had a C-section as my baby was in a bad position and I couldn't push them out.

I am pregnant with my second baby and wondering if it is likely this will happen again? Was it just fluke that this happened to me, or is it likely my body just isn't able to spontaneously labour on its own?

If it does happen, I wouldn't want to be induced- it was horrible. So I would ask for a C-section. But I would much prefer to have a natural VBAC

Dinosauratemydaffodils Wed 06-Dec-17 14:07:03

I'm pregnant with my second so not much use but the Midwife did say I would be very unlucky for my waters to go again before labour started but that having had it once is risk factor for it happening again.

I'm going for an elective section anyway but waters broke/labour started before week 39 with DS so hoping they hang about until the scheduled date whenever that is this time.

The best theory they had for my waters going was that Ds was stuck at an awkward angle and had managed to burst them. No infections or any of the risk factors. They just broke... on Friday the 13th of all days.

CrossFreelancer Wed 06-Dec-17 15:37:52

That's good to hear that your midwife thinks it's unlikely it will happen again!
I had thought about an elective, but I'll wait until I'm a bit further along I think :-)

Unfortunately we both did get infections last time as it was a few days between the waters breaking and the birth.

Dinosauratemydaffodils Wed 06-Dec-17 16:44:53

It was 81 hours for us. I was fine physically, Ds ended up in NICU but they couldn't pin point what he actually had as all the tests came back negative.

I think for me, it was such a negative experience (especially the emcs) that I don't want to risk it.

Was yours also back to back?

Skyechasemarshalontheway Wed 06-Dec-17 16:48:49

I had pprom at 28 weeks baby stayed in until 36 weeks with dc2 but was constantly being checked between pprom and birth.

I was told its very unlikely to happen if they did not find a cause for it happening

MenorcaSunrise Wed 06-Dec-17 16:59:37

I feel like I could have written your post OP. I had PROM at 42 weeks but still didn't go into labour. I was induced but the contractions were so bad I ripped the drip out and begged for an epidural - my contractions slowed and I had to have an EMCS.

I was told after that I could not be induced again having had a CS - only choices would be VBAC or planned CS.

Notsureaboutmuchanymore Wed 06-Dec-17 17:04:14

I’ve had PPROM 4 times blush

Dc1 waters went at 28 weeks - born at 36
Dc 2 waters went at 27 weeks - born at 34
Dc3 waters went at 21 weeks - born at 34
Dc4 waters went at 15-17 weeks - born at 34

Every time I had enough water left to continue ( although dc3 they suggested otherwise ) - only dc3 was a EMCS and that was because they were breech

Silverthorn Wed 06-Dec-17 17:08:24

I had prom at 41+ weeks with ds1. Induced on a drip the next day. Horrible experience. After about 14hrs and only 3cm, had an epidural where they could crank it up and I could sleep! Ds1 was back to back but was turned by the consultant. Had cord wrapped around his neck and was almost an emergency c-section. However consultant got him out with forceps. I was quite worried with ds2 but he was born with waters intact! Easyish 5hr labour with increasingly painful contractions. I hesitated to go to hospital for hours because my waters hadn't broken, deapite contractions being every 2mins, etc.
Was very quick and I was ready to go home about 2hrs later. Such a change to ds1 where I was in hospital for 3days.

JuniUmiZoomi Wed 06-Dec-17 18:32:30

I had a PROM at 39+5, ending in EMCS and 5 day course of antibiotics for baby, plus a ton of other interventions and tests for both of us. Never again. I saw the consultant today and she said there's no evidence to suggest it's more likely to happen again the second time. After my DD was born the midwife said it was because she was back to back which unbalances the waters and makes them more likely to 'go' without contractions starting.

rabbitsdontlayeggs Wed 06-Dec-17 19:26:26

I had PROM at 39+5. No contractions for 24 hours so a drip induction to prevent infection (which i still got anyway). My birth ended with forceps in theatre two days later with DD being one day early.

I have to have a ELCS next time anyway because of other birth complications I had but I was told that the likelihood for me what that I had PROM because DD had somehow managed to break the waters, kicked them out almost and that when I was induced I was not even slightly close to labouring naturally. When they examined me they said they'd have expected me to go well overdue if I hadn't lost my waters. So if I wasn't having an ELCS next time I wouldn't be at increased risk of PROM again unless I had another naughty baby trying to boot their way out!

rabbitsdontlayeggs Wed 06-Dec-17 19:27:14

Interesting a few of these PROM babies were back to back. Mine was too.

emzjosey Wed 06-Dec-17 19:32:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

CrossFreelancer Wed 06-Dec-17 20:27:33

Dinosaur yes he was back to back! And after such a long labour in the end I just couldn't get him out.

This time I have a posterior placenta, which I am hoping will mean baby will be OA this time.

Notsureaboutmuch wow that's a lot of PROM babies! Good to know it could happen again then.

Goodness almost all of you have mentioned you had back to back babies with your PROM deliveries and a few of you also ended with c-section. That surely must be a pattern. Thank you all for sharing. It's made me feel confident in saying if my baby is back to back then I will have an elective C-section for sure. (Last time baby was back to back at every midwife appointment and during labour.)

AssumethePerpendicular Wed 06-Dec-17 20:37:47

I had PROM at 39+3 but no induction slots available for 48 hours and I ended up going into labour after 36 hours. Got stuck at 9cm so had EMCS, he arrived 50 hours post PROM and needed antibiotics for 2 days just in case.
He was also back to back and face first!

CrossFreelancer Wed 06-Dec-17 21:32:21

assume gosh I didn't think they were allowed to leave it more than 24 hours before they induce you after your waters break? Luckily you did go into labour. But a similar outcome to a few of us on this post, which I find very interesting. I'm so glad I posted about this.

elliejjtiny Thu 07-Dec-17 02:31:18

I had prom at term twice and then pprom twice. Before I had my prom babies I also had ds1 who's birth was totally different, my waters didn't break until about 30 mins before he was born. My prom times were 104 hours, 69 hours, 52 hours and 214 hours.

CrossFreelancer Thu 07-Dec-17 07:35:03

Ellie was your pprom your first pregnancy? Also how early was your pprom baby?

elliejjtiny Thu 07-Dec-17 11:35:00

My pprom babies were dc4 and dc5. With dc4 I prommed at 35+1 and he was born at 35+3. With dc5 I prommed at 35+3 and he was born at 36+6.

elliejjtiny Thu 07-Dec-17 11:36:11

My pprom babies were dc4 and dc5. With dc4 I prommed at 35+1 and he was born at 35+3. With dc5 I prommed at 35+3 and he was born at 36+6.

elliejjtiny Thu 07-Dec-17 11:36:57

Oops, don't know why that posted twice.

ScarletBegonia1234 Thu 07-Dec-17 11:41:20

I had Prom with my first at 37w 5d and was induced after 24 hours. Second baby was born bang on her due date and my waters didn't go until she was crowning! She was born at home with no interventions so try not to worry too much

MenorcaSunrise Thu 07-Dec-17 15:21:58

I'm finding this thread a comfort too.

My baby was in an ideal anterior position when I had PROM, as far as I know, and at some point during the induced labour turned back to back - may have contributed to labour slowing and EMCS.

We have a service that allows us to review our maternity notes and discuss what happened, given that I was in a bit of a fog at the time. I might ask for that.

HalfStar Thu 07-Dec-17 15:30:22

I've had PROM at 40 weeks and 39 weeks bang on, but both times I was lucky and contractions started after an hour or so and dcs were born without assistance.

I am pg with DC3 and dying to know if this is likely to happen again. MW said not necessarily as all births are different but I feel it must be a bit more likely! I'd love to know more about why it happens.

RatRolyPoly Thu 07-Dec-17 15:42:09

My first was PROM at 37+0, labour didn't start spontaneously so cue hellish induction followed by EMCS.

Second baby I was prepared to try a vbac (kind of) but not to go overdue or have another induction. In the end nothing had happened by my due date so I had a beautiful ELCS.

tinymeteor Fri 08-Dec-17 22:11:16

I had PROM at term, and was induced (no c-section). I'm currently expecting my second and I've asked the midwife about the chances of it happening again. She said there was no evidence to suggest it would be the same next time - it doesn't bar me from using the MLU anyway, which suggests they don't see me as being at risk of complications. She said very premature rupture of membranes can be a pattern, but at term it sounds like it's just one of those things.

DD wasn't fully back to back, but almost. Never thought about that being linked before!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now