Talk

Advanced search

HypnoBirthing Options

(5 Posts)
Sleeeeeepy Mon 04-Dec-17 20:57:42

I've read some really positive accounts of HypnoBirthing and want to give it a go. The birth of DS was very medicalised but I think even with that the relaxation techniques would have been very useful.

So, I've done some research about local services, and it looks like I've got three options (I've discounted a full one on one course as it's too expensive)

1. Full group course (choice of a couple) of about 10-12hrs, about £250

2. 'Express' group course, 4hrs, £99

3. No course, DIY with books/downloads

DS is 13 months and will be 19 months when the new little one arrives, so it would be good to be outside the house, but would mean DH probably could only come to some of it. On the other hand chances of getting him reading anything by himself at home is almost zero.

Does anyone have any advice on which they think is the best route? I'm finding it very confusing. I've ordered Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin but that's more for background/positive birth stories.

Thanks!

Justasec Mon 04-Dec-17 21:46:00

I did a few 1-2-1 sessions plus a cd (it was a while ago...) at home and it was the best option for me as I could discuss the specifics of what I wanted and get the right advice from the therapist but do the "hard work" quietly myself at home. Can't imagine my oh being there, let alone strangers, I'd never have relaxed but hopefully you'll get others along soon to give you other points of view!

mindutopia Tue 05-Dec-17 10:47:14

I would do the DIY version and just do a book and tracks at home yourself. There is absolutely no point in a course as long as you are disciplined enough to do it yourself and read the book.

I did natal hypnotherapy the first time around and also doing it again this time. I had a lovely natural birth (home birth) that was very relaxed and I didn't think it was painful, intense and tiring, yes, (I squatted for 4 hours), but not really painful and I used no other pain relief other than a TENS. In fact, I was so comfortable and relaxed, the midwives came to see me and nearly left and went back to the hospital because they didn't really think I was in labour. They asked to check me before they left just to be sure and I was fully dilated! So I found it to be really effective.

But you don't need to take a course. We did do the one day course last time and I would say it was mostly useful for my dh, but it was just a repeat of exactly what was in the book, which I already read. If your dh can't really even attend, I would say it's pretty pointless unless you aren't someone who would read a book.

Mostly what you need to do is just practice. The birth prep track is 40 minutes long. You just need 40 uninterrupted minutes 2-3 times a week. Have your partner take your ds out for a walk or send him to the store to do the food shopping on the weekend or ask a family member to take him for a bit a couple times a week or do it after he's gone to bed. Reading the book is helpful for understanding how hypnotherapy works and the NH book is also just a really excellent book on natural birth anyway, so I would recommend it. But if you truly don't have time for a book, just practice the track religiously 2-3 times a week and that's it.

mindutopia Tue 05-Dec-17 10:50:12

Also, honestly, my dh didn't read the book and while he found the course interesting, he didn't feel like he needed it either. There is really nothing for partners to 'do' in labour other than protect the space for you and keep lighting low, quiet, privacy, let you get on with it and limit interruptions. We did practice some weird hypnotherapy stuff that we could do jointly in the course, but it seemed a bit silly to me. I would not have wanted us both doing it. I needed my dh for practical things like filling the pool, talking to the midwives for me, getting snacks and drinks. He's not giving birth so he doesn't need to be 'relaxing' with me. So there is really nothing they need to do other than support you on the day and stay out of the way. Reading the book isn't necessary for that.

CaptainWarbeck Tue 05-Dec-17 10:54:20

JuJu Sundin's book Birth Skills is amazing, I did it alongside the natal hypnotherapy stuff. I got the book out of the library and me and DH read it together and practiced the mantras we thought would work when I was in labour.

The hypnotherapy was really good in the early stages of labour at keeping me calm and relaxed and managing the pain just in my head with headphones in, but I needed the more active birth skills stuff later on. Both got me to 7cm before I used gas and air.

Worth a look.

Good luck! Fwiw DC1 was a very medicalised long and hard birth. DC2 shot out in 4 hours (2 hours active labour), much easier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now