Shall I cancel my induction?(19 Posts)
Currently 41+4 and saw midwife yesterday for a sweep. I've had a straightforward pregnancy so far and am low risk. She said cervix still had a way to go and I'm not starting to dilate yet - she offered to book me in for an out-patient induction tomorrow afternoon which I agreed to but I'm now having second thoughts!
Since then I'm feeling reluctant to be induced and that if baby is doing fine still then I should just see how things go. Midwife said there would increased monitoring after 42 weeks which reassures me.
I'm not keen for an induction as it would mean a hospital delivery instead of the midwife-led unit and usual increased risk of interventions etc.
Does anyone have any experience of this or advice to offer?
All of mine were overdue, and I was content to go to 42 weeks if there were no concerns. My third baby was born at 42 weeks exactly, and I'd had an induction booked for that same morning.
I wouldn't have been willing to take on the increased risks of going over 42 weeks, though. The risk of intervention (and various other things) increase once past that 42 week mark, so I wouldn't factor a desire to avoid intervention into your decision to go beyond 42 weeks.
You can cancel and give it a few more days if you want. Even if you don't go into labour naturally you might be a bit more 'ready' when they induce so it progresses better.
I've been induced with all of mine, with dc2 I was determined to not have to be induced again and went to 42+2 and they would of let me keep going but I'd just had enough at that point. The induction was a great success though and went very well established labour to birth was about 7 hours, just gas and air.
Dc3 they induced me just after my due date by scan but a few days before my cycle due date (what I considered my proper due date) due to growth worries and was much longer and harder labour, don't think my body was ready at all for it. 17 hours established labour and needed an epidural.
So I'd give it as long as you can and accept the increased monitoring if you want it, many obstetricians say it's OK to do that and everyone has a different natural gestation time, it's not an exact science. Just follow the guidance from your care givers and listen to your body. Good luck!
How old are you?
There's been some news on induction for women who give birth for the first time when they are 35 years old or older.
Thought I'd pass that on.
All the best
What is going to happen if you're not induced tomorrow? How long will they let you go before they start monitoring you every day/twice a day? How long will they let you go in all? Bear in mind that an induction is likely to take longer than a natural labour? Labour wards are better staffed than surgical wards over a weekend but there will still not be as many senior staff as during the week.
I refused to book an induction (I was 41 weeks) the midwives were really pushing induction and all the risks of waiting. The midwives wanted to book me in for 41+5 . I had to go to the hospital to discuss my refusal and the hospital weren't bothered, it was a case of why are you here we don't need to see you until you're 42 weeks. As I was at the hospital they did some monitoring and said come back in two days for as scan. It was agreed with the hospital I could go to 42+3 by my scan dates which was 42weeks by LMP. As the debate over when to induce happened I was also in early labour, (started 41+1), it did become active labour at 41+6, but ended in a c section at42+1. I was told he would never have come out naturally so I was really glad made the early labour more painful and exhausting by agreeing to induction.
Really glad not to have made early labour more painful.
They won't let you birth in the MLU if you go over 42 weeks, so if it's not happening shortly before then you've nothing to loose by having an induction.
Also, increased monitoring can be exhausting. Where I am they did it from 41 weeks and it meant traveling into hospital every day or two.
Not sure whether I would try to avoid induction again. (I failed to anyway.)
I might call the community midwife team today to talk it through again then.
I believe they would let me go past 42 weeks but then would go for daily monitoring (so Saturday onwards).
battersea thanks for the link, I am 30
You sadly as OldMacdonald says once you go over 42 weeks they won't let you give birth on a midwife led unit as they then class you as "high risk" so have to give birth on the consultant unit. (I say this as a first time mum with a 6 week old baby- I went to 42 weeks exactly and as they said I could no longer give birth on the midwife unit I caved and had an induction... personally I wouldn't accept an induction in the future and would wait it out as at least then you can go through the first stage of labour at home rather than on a ward but appreciate others might want to be in a hospital environment).
Whatever you decide, please think about the language that is used “if they allow me”. It’s your body and your baby. They can advise you, and you can do your own research on merits of induction etc, but it’s your decision as a capable, competent woman.
Where I live, depending on type if induction then you can birth on the midwifery led unit and over 42 weeks (the mlu is right next door to the obstetric unit). They have this prostin balloon thing which they insert to try to dilate you but can then be removed when in active labour and you can then be transferred to the midwife led unit. Obviously some women may need more than this and would stay on obstetric.
I was induced at 42 weeks as I wouldn't be allowed into the MLU after that - even then they were reluctant to admit me in labour from the ward because it was 8pm by then but the lovely midwife who induced me fought my case for me and DS was born at 42+1 in the MLU.
Our MLU will also only admit induced women after 1 or 2 pessaries. If you need a third you can't get in.
I'm jealous of the previous two posters then as I literally needed the lowest dose of pessary to get things started and my waters went naturally but as it was past midnight and I was therefore 42 weeks exactly they refused to let me go on the MLU (which is next to the consultant unit in my hospital) and I couldn't have the waterbirth I so desperately wanted as the one room on the cons unit with a pool in it was in use (as in the room was in use... the pool was not!) 😩
I was 41+5 and really wanted to go to the MLU and it looked likely despite being induced as I was having contractions after they broke my waters. However I didn't progress beyond 3cm even after 16 hours labour and a subsequent 2 and a bit on the syntocinon drip. I basically had every intervention going, which is exactly what I didn't want unless absolutely necessary - but hey, turns out it was necessary. I ended up with an emergency caesarean as DS's heart rate was dipping so on paper it was worst case scenario.
But - and there is a big but - I feel so incredibly positive about my birth. I made all of the decisions about my care based on the situation at the time and I knew that if after 12 hours labour I hadn't moved on from 3cm then I couldn't face another 12 hours labour using syntocinon without an epidural. So I had one. Then after 2 hours on the drip I realized it wasn't worth it (to me) to carry on trying to have a vaginal delivery if there was a risk to DS and ultimately to myself. I was bloody frightened of both the epidural and the caesarean but the midwives and doctors were incredible and my husband was a source of strength for me. It was a real lesson in letting go of my expectations and I think that mental approach really helped,
Obviously this was just my experience, and everyone has different opinions and feelings which are all valid. But I really struggled to find positive induction stories before my birth and I wanted to share that it doesn't have to be a huge disappointment- it can actually be a great experience!
@mummabubs it's awful that it's such a lottery to get in.
It makes me wonder this time if I need induced is it better to go 40+12 to have time to spare to get into MLU or wait til last possible day so that I'm a couple of days further on and induction might be easier?
Thank you for sharing honeywheeler - you're right that positive induction stories are pretty rare!
Hi, I'm 42 weeks exactly today (according to dating scan) with baby no. 3. Planning a home birth.
I declined induction at 41+5 (Tues) and was asked to attend the fetal monitoring dept that day at the hospital. They asked me to come back every day for monitoring, and I also had an ultrasound scan yesterday. All perfectly normal. They are going to chat with me tomorrow about another plan of action.
So far I have also declined all offers of a sweep as DH and I want labour to start naturally, plus my previous pregnancies lasted 42w and 41+5, so I am expecting this little one to arrive very soon!
I am quite happy to wait it out a few more days but am expecting to have to fight my corner a bit when I chat to the senior midwife tomorrow!
Have found this NHS leaflet very helpful: https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Documents/IOL-leaflet-40plus-weeks.pdf
The midwife unit I had my DD in would not take you if you went over 10 days overdue. They did however give me some aromatherapy oils at 8 days over. I used these once in a bath on that evening and labour started next morning - could of course be coincidence but I will never know 😊
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.