Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Stretch & sweep stories please!

(25 Posts)
tootsieglitterballs Mon 27-Nov-17 15:24:30

Stretch & sweep stories please!

I’ve had my second S&S today (baby number 2) - I’m 40+3 , 2cm dilated, cervix pretty much thinned out, and midwife apparently gave me a ‘good sweep’ , baby is 2/5 engaged and she said he won’t get any further engaged until my waters go now.

Did a S&S work for you? How long did it take to get things going?

HeyJupiter Mon 27-Nov-17 18:58:26

Don't want to start on a negative but I've had two S+Ss now (one at 40+1 and another at 40+5) and neither of them have worked. I'm 41+1 now and due to be induced on Wednesday. At my last S+S I was 2cm dilated and 75% effaced and the midwife said she guaranteed I would go into labour that night which obviously I didn't. I did read that it's only successful in 1/8 women - really really hope that includes you. Good luck smile

tootsieglitterballs Mon 27-Nov-17 20:04:04

I’m not expecting this one to work to be honest .... I’ve had lots of pink mucusy stuff this afternoon/evening, but nothing else sadly. Booked for a section next week if he doesn’t come of his own accord!

ToddlersAndCoffee Mon 27-Nov-17 20:34:47

I had a stretch and sweep at 4pm midwife told me very similar things to you, baby was born 3am the next morning! I had pink discharge also.

Greylilypad Mon 27-Nov-17 21:28:51

I had one, nothing for about 8 hours, then went into labour and baby was born 4 or so hours later

HeyJupiter Mon 27-Nov-17 21:29:53

Glad there have been some positive stories for you too smile

Runningoutofusernames Mon 27-Nov-17 21:31:02

Had one on due date with dc2, barely dilated, baby born 10 hours later...

elland Mon 27-Nov-17 21:34:07

Had a second one at 41 weeks, baby wasn’t ready but labour started the next morning and he was born 24 hours later 😊

PizzaPizzaPizza Mon 27-Nov-17 21:39:39

I had one at 40+3 with my third baby. Cervix long and closed, I went into labour and had her within 48 hours so could of possibly been the sweep assisting.

Lostmyemailaddress Mon 27-Nov-17 21:44:12

Dc2 I had 1 at 39+5 due to having contractions for a week but not dilalating it was at 11am I was told it was a good one. I was sent home dc3 was born at 11.47pm that night but dc7 I lost the plug in bits all through the day into the evening tried to lie down as felt a bit rough and my contractions started she was born at 11.33pm that night so fingers crossed for you op flowers

tootsieglitterballs Tue 28-Nov-17 08:46:23

So lots of positive stories !

Honestly not holding my breath... had on and off painful BH/contractions all night , but I still managed to get some sleep. Think a good walk is in order today!

elland Tue 28-Nov-17 16:05:13

Good luck @tootsieglitterballs

dinosaurkisses Tue 28-Nov-17 16:49:39

I had one at 40 weeks-I went into labour, but unfortunately that latent labour went on for four days. Ended in a natural delivery and DD was happy/ not distressed, but I wouldn't be rushing back to relieve those fours days of contractions and no sleep!

I attended my hospital's listening service with a midwife who said she reckoned that I had the sweep which irritated my cervix releasing hormones which caused me to start to contract, but my cervix just wasn't ready to dilate.

nuggles Tue 28-Nov-17 17:23:05

I had 5 sweeps for ds2 at 41+. Had one each day until he was born. I was desperate to avoid an induction.

Was having mild contractions a week before. With each sweep I dilated another car so by the time my waters popped at 7cm labour was only 2 hours and he pretty much flew out!

tootsieglitterballs Tue 28-Nov-17 18:03:46

Oh gosh, 5 sweeps 😳! Nice short labour though!

tootsieglitterballs Tue 28-Nov-17 18:05:21

Well I had a good walk, took a nap this afternoon which I never do, have had a soak in the bath (totally relaxing with a toddler trying to drive boats all over my tummy...) , and to be honest, it’s done Jeff all, so I’m thinking this sweep has been unsuccessful in making baby get a wriggle on, however if it has done anything at all, even just helped me dilate another cm, that’s a positive.

nuggles Tue 28-Nov-17 23:20:07

It’s so annoying there’s no definite way of knowing how effective sweeps are isn’t it?

Good luck and I hope your baby doesn’t leave you waiting too long smile

tootsieglitterballs Wed 29-Nov-17 14:12:13

Thank you @nuggles ! Still keeping me waiting sadly, little monkey! I’m someone who likes to plan, and know what’s going on, so this not knowing when he’s coming is driving me batty!

Longwalkoffashortpier Wed 29-Nov-17 14:23:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lostmyemailaddress Thu 30-Nov-17 18:41:44

How's it going op?

tootsieglitterballs Thu 30-Nov-17 19:48:03

Well I’ve been having contractions for the past 24 hours , between 3 and 12 mins apart, so totally irregular 😔

Being monitored as I’ve had a past section so they are keeping an eye on my contractions and my scar.

Should be getting another sweep tonight after monitoring

Lostmyemailaddress Thu 30-Nov-17 22:46:46

Fingers crossed it's soon for you dc6 I was having irregular contractions on the Friday and just before midnight on the Saturday my waters went and he was born at 25 past 5 the next morning hoping you have similar flowers

Anettelondon Sun 03-Dec-17 13:40:15

Worked for me, sweep done at 10am i was in labour by 7pm and gave birth 4am next day. Worth trying good luck

tootsieglitterballs Wed 06-Dec-17 08:20:10

Just to give you all an update... I was monitored and told I wasn’t in labour m. They refused to give me a sweep. Sent home 😔

3 hours later I was back in in agony, and 2 hours later he was born!!

elland Wed 06-Dec-17 16:32:40

Congratulations @tootsieglitterballs Hope you're both doing well xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: