Talk

Advanced search

Driving to hospital

(53 Posts)
nousername123 Fri 24-Nov-17 20:12:24

I'm a very confident driver, my partner can drive but isn't confident and stresses me out when he drives. The hospital is 40 minutes away. I can't afford a taxi. Has anyone else driven themselves?

toomuchfaster Fri 24-Nov-17 20:17:48

We were told strictly not too! Also no way would I have been able too, too busy concentrating on the contractions!!

tampinfuminragin Fri 24-Nov-17 20:19:31

I drove in early labour when contractions were few and far between x

Ginmakesitallok Fri 24-Nov-17 20:20:15

Don't be so fucking stupid!!! Jesus.

QueenNovo Fri 24-Nov-17 20:21:45

How many weeks are you? I suggest your partner practises the hospital drive a few times before your due date if possible so he knows the route well in case you are unable to drive.

Percephone Fri 24-Nov-17 20:21:54

I take it you haven't been in labour before.

gamerchick Fri 24-Nov-17 20:22:14

DO NOT drive to hospital when you’re in Labour!

Put some money aside for a taxi if you have to!

honeysucklejasmine Fri 24-Nov-17 20:23:56

Are you joking?!

TheOriginalNNB Fri 24-Nov-17 20:25:23

In early labour, yes. But you won’t be driving to hospital in early labour... they don’t want you until you’re more established.

I couldn’t sit on my backside so there’s no way I could have driven anywhere

Wolfiefan Fri 24-Nov-17 20:26:01

Hahahahahahaha! First baby? By the time you are ready to go to hospital you won't be in any fit state to talk let alone drive.
Partner needs to get some practice driving. You won't be stressing about his driving whilst in labour. You will have plenty to distract you!
And how would you get home from hospital?

Duckstar Fri 24-Nov-17 20:30:02

If you were in an accident your insurers are unlikely to indemnify you. This could have massive financial consequences. Your partner will have to drive you.

shittyshitybangbang Fri 24-Nov-17 20:31:26

There's no why in hell you can drive yourself to hospital when you're Iabour.

Only thing I did was scream in pain and shout at every red traffic light.

WitchesHatRim Fri 24-Nov-17 20:31:50

Errrrr no not a good idea at all!

BikeRunSki Fri 24-Nov-17 20:34:20

Only if you pull over to scream every 2 minutes.
<joking>

No, don’t drive to hospital. By the time you need to go, you will be in no state to drive. If you have a c section, you won’t be able to drive back either.

Katescurios Fri 24-Nov-17 20:35:18

You won't be able to drive so you need a plan.

Are there any friends or family who would be on stand by for you?
Can your partner get some more driving practice in before your due?
Have you contacted local taxi firms to get a price? If you can't afford it can you borrow the money?
Have you considered a home birth? If you've got no risk factors even as a first time mum its a good option

FizzyWaterAndElderflower Fri 24-Nov-17 20:39:40

Rofl - do you really think you can drive while having pains like you're being stabbed up the vagina, with associated bump tensing every 3-5 minutes?

I'm confident, but I couldn't even stay still in the passenger seat let alone be able to keep a steady foot on the accelerator!

Have your dp practice. You will not care about being driven, just about getting there

Rheged Fri 24-Nov-17 20:39:45

God no, you can’t do that. You’ll be having contractions only a few minutes apart and it would be dangerous and reckless to drive in that state. Either start putting money aside for a taxi now or your OH needs to start practising the drive to the hospital so he can do it confidently.

nextstopChristmas Fri 24-Nov-17 20:43:03

Yes but no contractions - waters had gone with meconium in them - couldn’t bear the lack of control and drove myself.

Also drove myself in for mornings of inductions - but never in actual active labour.

GummyGoddess Fri 24-Nov-17 20:43:46

I could have driven in early labour but not by the time midwives actually wanted to see me.

You cannot do it, you will have or cause an accident.

He will have to drive you, sit in the back with a pillow and bury your face into that so you don't have to look, have some music to distract you from traffic sounds as well.

Ffsdh Fri 24-Nov-17 20:45:36

By the time dh drove me to hospital I was in too much pain to open the car door. It’s a fucking ridiculous idea.

Cracklesfire Fri 24-Nov-17 20:48:34

If you're in labour you'll not be caring what his driving is like so I really wouldn't worry about it. It'll be good practice for life with a baby - you're not in control of anything then!

stoplickingthetelly Fri 24-Nov-17 20:49:13

Bloody hell no! I was in absolutely agony. Only just about coped with the 15 minute journey in the passenger seat. There's absolutely no way I could have driven. In the nicest possible way, you're mad!

smellybeanpole Fri 24-Nov-17 20:55:01

shock absolutely not !

Understatement Fri 24-Nov-17 21:05:30

Your partner will just have to get a grip!

nousername123 Fri 24-Nov-17 21:05:36

Thanks for all of your replies, I know a few people that have driven. My partner is disabled and he's just lost his job. We literally can't afford a taxi. I can barely afford to eat. My partner was in a crash so I don't think more practise driving is going to help he's very nervous. I will probably ask my mum but she hates driving in Bristol city centre. I've been told I have to have the baby in this hospital as there are complications. Some of your responses are a bit aggressive 😂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: