Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Anyone regretted their VBAC/Elective C Section decision?

(20 Posts)
AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Wed 22-Nov-17 15:35:09

As the title says...

Has anybody had a c section (mainly as their first and only delivery) then went on to have a VBAC that they regretted or, chose an elective c section and wound up wishing they'd gone for a VBAC?

I'm trying to gather as much information and hear as many stories as possible before making my final decision regarding VBAC vs Elective for my second baby's birth in a few weeks time.

I'm currently 33 weeks pregnant after having an emergency c section just 11 months ago, and now have only two more weeks to decide how this little one is going to be born.

Although I do feel a c section is the better, safer option for myself, I can't shake this feeling that I'll hate myself if I choose a particular birthing option and something goes wrong, then it'd be my fault as I could've chosen the other option. (I know no one can predict what happens during child birth, but I just know I'd suffer terribly with guilt thinking about how any bad outcome could've been avoided by me taking a different route IYSWIM).

I'm happy to read positive and negative stories regarding both VBAC's and Electives!


tootsieglitterballs Wed 22-Nov-17 16:29:03

Gosh, I know this feeling only too well. Due this week and have opted for a VBAC if he comes naturally, with a planned c section if he doesn’t make an appearance by a certain date.

I’ve battled so much with what to do, and when we had the final discussion yesterday to finalise (which felt a tad late to me!) the decision was pretty much taken out of my hands as the only c section date they can give me is at 41+5 which is later than I had hoped to go over.

I’m hoping he makes an appearance sooner rather than later, and isn’t too large as I couldn’t get our last baby out (back to back induction, spent the whole time on my back, ended in EMCS)

Boosiehs Wed 22-Nov-17 16:34:07

Planned section for 2nd baby was the best decision ever. As i understand planned is much much calmer than emergency.

HotDamnState Wed 22-Nov-17 16:35:47

Its a really hard decision, isnt it?

I had an emergency section with DC1. I had planned a VBAC for DC2 initially, but as the pregnancy progressed I became increasingly uneasy with the idea, mainly because I'd had such a traumatic first birth I just wanted to be as sure as I could that it would be a bit calmer and more controlled second time around. I know you can neve have certainty with birth - thats the thing isnt it? - but I think around 32 weeks-ish I just started to feel real terror about having a long labor ending in EMCS again, and pretty much decided then that c-section was what I wanted.

For me, that fear/uncertainty factor of how labour might progress (or not!) trumped my (albeit strong) 'natural birth experience' wishes. Its very personal, though, so I can only say how it was for me.

My second bisection was amazing, I have to say, and a world away from the first. Very calm and serene, I had skin-to-skin straight away and I recovered much more quickly physically and emotionally. But again, thats anecdotal.

Ultimately, you have to do what you think at the time is best for you and your baby, with the knowledge that no decision is perfect but every decision is made with the best intentions flowers

HotDamnState Wed 22-Nov-17 16:37:03

csection - ignore 'bisection' grin

Mummyme87 Wed 22-Nov-17 18:03:28

I’m 32weeks and planning a VBAC. I had a traumatic EMCS last time for infection, abnormal CTG at 9cm. My DS was in NNU with meningitis after birth and I had a slow recovery with a lot of pain.
I’m desperate to give birth vaginally this time although every now and then feel anxious about it and wonder if I should just go for an eLCS... I’m practising hypnotherapy so hoping this will help me stay calm

DuggeeHugs Wed 22-Nov-17 20:01:26

DS was EMCS and I chose ELCS for DD. Best decision ever - the surgeon told us it saved her life despite all the pressure to VBAC. Usually, it's impossible to tell what the other outcome could be so it was a bit of a surprise when she told us shortly after the birth.

nooka Wed 22-Nov-17 20:24:56

My first delivery was an emergency c-section and 16mths later I decided on VBAC for my second. I ended up being induced on a drip and then having another emergency c-section. I really regretted not opting for an elective c-section as the experience was painful and scary and neither dh nor I handled it well (affecting both our bonding with dd and our marriage). In retrospect it was harder because I chose VBAC, but I think my reasons were pretty informed, I just didn't think about induction.

I've not had a planned c-section, but ds's birth didn't involve me going into labour - my waters broke early and it turned out he was transverse oblique so I pretty much went straight into surgery. It was all very civilised, listening to the radio while the theatre staff chatted etc.

If you are worried about things going wrong with the baby I would have thought a planned c-section would be best as they tend to be done earlier and it's a much more controlled situation. Higher risk for you in some ways, but birth has risks however you do it. For example my scars hurt when I sneeze almost 20 years later but I don't have perineal scarring or pelvic floor issues.

Bubbinsmakesthree Wed 22-Nov-17 20:37:44

It's hard as you can never really know what the other outcome would be.

I have had one slightly traumatic induced labour and vaginal birth (ended with an emergency forceps delivery - would have been an EMCS but they couldn't get me into theatre fast enough), and one very calm ELCS from which I recovered well. If I could choose to go through one experience again I would opt for the vaginal birth, despite everything. To me the physical experience of labouring was quite important to me and I felt something missing have not gone through that with the ELCS. However there were risks involved which made the ELCS the sensible option.

Misstomrs Wed 22-Nov-17 21:00:04

All the Obstetricians I have spoken to have had c sections. My own has had three. My first VBAC birth was horrendous. I’m incontinent and my husband and I haven’t been able to have sex for 18 months. My husband had PTSD. Take the c-section.

Mummyme87 Wed 22-Nov-17 21:08:32

I work with obstetricians and it is not the case that all obstetricians have ELCS. Sure some do, equally some ‘lay’ people have ELCS.
It’s a really individual decision, and comes down to personal circumstances

iMatter Wed 22-Nov-17 21:21:12

I had em section with dc1 and then vbac 12 months later with dc2.

I was supposed to have an elective section with dc2 but he was prem and the placenta had attached to the scar tissue in my womb which made it tricky.

Do whatever works for you.

My vbac was fine but I think a planned section must be fab in these circumstances - no long labour no worrying about what might happen etc etc.

Beansonapost Wed 22-Nov-17 21:22:26

Had planned section second time around after an EMCS with my first.

It was fab! Minus the waiting time!

But it was so much more relaxed... I even got to have music in the theatre and DH by my side as we had a good chat.

It was over a done with in about 20 minutes.

I agonised over the decision, but felt good about my choice when I examined the risks involved. I was also encouraged by my doctor to have a c-section again as they didn’t think I would labour well.

AllMumsyWereTheBorrowedClothes Wed 22-Nov-17 21:46:51

This is such a personal decision, but I hope my experience, albeit years ago, will help.

I was induced for dc1 at 2 weeks overdue with a back to back presentation, which spiralled into an emergency csection with a distressed baby, all was eventually well physically, but it felt like the only thing I got right was the subsequent b/feeding. Later I was scanned and found to have a narrow pelvis.

Dc2 was a week overdue when I was induced. I had an unsympathetic consultant and community midwife who blithely suggested that a vbac would result in a brain damaged baby, but the hospital staff were very supportive and allowed time for me to make my decision. We agreed on an epidural again, in case of the need for a csection, and my waters were broken which started labour effectively. Although dc2 was the right way round, my narrow pelvis meant that she would not arrive on her own, a calm and amazing doctor and midwife suggested a ventouse, which was successful in delivering her.

For me it was the right call, I recovered more quickly, physically and mentally, and am eternally grateful to the medical team for involving me in the decision making process, though at all times I knew the baby's well-being came before my wishes.

Several friends had deliveries at around the same time, some went with vbac, others stayed with csections. Unhelpfully only you can make the final decision, but I think the thing that really helped me was feeling that I was being listened to, and not dismissed as a body on a bed with everyone watching the machines and ignoring me. So even if a csection had been necessary I was part of it, and not a passive object.

Also consider practical things like childcare around your delivery date, and support at home for the first few weeks.

Good luck with your decision, try to think through all the possible options, so when whatever happens, happens, you will have a feeling that that it is a choice you have contributed to, rather than had imposed on you.

eeanne Thu 23-Nov-17 02:32:16

I had ELCS for breech with DC1 and am 38+5 now. I am going to attempt VBAC but I have a repeat CS booked in week 40 if baby doesn’t come naturally before then.

As I’ve have ELCS before I know exactly what to expect. I still feel from asking friends etc that a straightforward VB is an easier recovery than a CS. Of course that’s not guaranteed, but I’ve discussed with my consultant and agreed I don’t want induction of any kind so if VBAC isn’t progressing naturally we will move to an “emergency” CS quite quickly.

alittlehelp Sat 25-Nov-17 21:49:44

I found it a very difficult decision. I was undecided until about 35 weeks when I decided to go for VBAC after a specialist midwife talked through the various risks with me. In the end though I went overdue and ended up with another section anyway, at 41 weeks (was kind of glad it got taken out of my hands!). Recovery probably slightly harder the second time round but still fine. Good luck.

Misstomrs Sat 25-Nov-17 22:24:56

I hate posting onabiard more than once, especially as I know I am the exception not the rule, but I don’t see anyone who had a c-section saying they have the kind of continence it sex issues I have from a forceps delivery. Recovery may be tough but I don’t see anyone saying they still can’t have sex 17 months later and are waiting on corrective surgery that had to be delayed because their continence issues were so bad. Ultimately you have to do what’s right for you but I am the reason not to have VBAC. It’s hurt me, my marriage and my baby.

Misstomrs Sat 25-Nov-17 22:25:47

*Continence and sex

Tinycitrus Sat 25-Nov-17 22:28:47

One emcs
2 planned cs

No regrets

stroganoff Sat 25-Nov-17 22:56:32

I did not regret my 3 elective c secs. My second was hard fought to achieve though. The vbac midwife at 35 weeks told me that having an internal examination in labour was no different to sex. My response was 'you haven't been fucking doing it properly love!' And walked out. I later found out she was a 65 year old virgin who had no idea what she was talking about and was put on vbac clinic to keep her out of mischief until she retired

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: