Talk

Advanced search

During your c section, which of these were allowed?

(36 Posts)
AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Thu 16-Nov-17 16:58:26

I had an emergency c section 11 months ago and I presume things can be/are a bit different during an elective.

I'm opting for an elective in a few weeks time, and was just wondering which of these you were allowed?

My partner wasn't allowed to cut the cord last time, we assumed it was because it was an emergency c section however my sister had an emergency c section 6 weeks after me (though at a different hospital) and her partner was allowed to.
- I'd like for DP to cut the cord this time, has anyone's partners had the chance to do this during an elective?

I want the 'curtain' to be dropped when they pull my baby out so that we can see the actual moment he's born and feel a little more involved. I didn't ask about this last time but again, has anyone been able to do this with elective?

Can you/have you requested which method your wound is put back together?
Mine was stapled shut last time and it caused me problems with the metal staples pulling against my dressing for a week. I'd very much like to be sewn this time, but unsure whether they'll give me a choice or not.

I have my Consultant meeting in a couple of weeks in which I'll confirm my c section date and will of course ask all of these questions, but thought it'd be good to get some first hand experiences too!

OP’s posts: |
RaeCJ82 Thu 16-Nov-17 18:03:11

I had an EMCS 6 months ago. My OH cut the cord and the screen was dropped as she came out. They asked me if I wanted these things as opposed to me having to ask.
I had dissolvable stitches but I do know two other women who had staples. These women would probably be classed as very overweight/obese so I don’t know if weight makes a difference.

crazymissdaisy Thu 16-Nov-17 18:09:25

I was overweight but had dissolving stitches. I wanted to see my placenta and was told no you don't want to see that! I was just interested in an amazing thing my body had made, I wasn't about to get the frying pan out.

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Thu 16-Nov-17 18:18:59

I wasn't/still am not over weight, I asked the health care visitor who took off my dressing why staples were used as I'd assumed I'd been stitched (had no idea I'd been stapled until she took my bandage off), and she said they're usually used because frankly, they're the quickest, easiest option for the surgeon. Hoping that because it's an elective this time around, it won't be so rushed and whoever delivers my son might take the time/be able to sew me rather than staple me.

I really do want the curtain dropped. With my son, neither of us knew he'd arrived until he was half way across the room, crying. I'd love to be able to see and properly experience the moment this little one enters the world.

Fingers crossed they'll do that for me, the other things I can let slide.

GaryBarlowsTaxReturn Thu 16-Nov-17 18:23:37

I had an elective section. They didn’t lower the screen but they lifted the baby up so I could see. I had dissolvable stitches. Was told husband couldn’t cut the cord due to infection risk.

Topsyloulou Thu 16-Nov-17 18:37:33

It differs greatly from hospital to hospital so you really need to ask your consultant what they do. I’ve had an emcs & elcs at the same hospital. Both worked exactly the same. The cord was cut by the consultant but DP was then given the option to trim it which he did with DS but declined with DD as it ‘felt weird’. They did delayed cord clamping with DD but DS was clamped straightaway as he was the emcs & he needed checking over asap.

With regards to the curtain that stayed up the whole time however they have a camera over the operating table & you can watch as much or as little of the operation as you like. I asked for the camera to be turned on only when DS was being lifted out however it took a bit longer than planned to get him out so I saw a bit more than I wanted to! With DD the anaesthetist couldn’t work the screen & only managed to turn it on right at the end so I saw her feet come out. He then asked if I wanted to watch them stitching me up!

I had staples with DS which were fine. They remove your dressing after 24 hours here so no issues with them catching. With DD I had dissolvable stitches.

Itsthattimeagain Thu 16-Nov-17 18:39:22

Exactly the same as Rae...
I asked if DH could cut the cord, and so he did.
It was offered to me to drop the curtain but I did not want to.
I wasn't offered how I'd like the wound to be put together, they used disolvable stitches. Although as above I know people who were overweight who were stapled.

Congratulations OP flowers

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Thu 16-Nov-17 18:43:44

I had one EMCS and one Elective. I had no idea I was allowed to ask for my husband to cut the cord or for the screen to be dropped. It never occurred to me to ask actually, I assumed I just had to do as I was told!

I was size 20 during both pregnancies and had dissolvable stitches both times. It definitely seems to depend on the hospital.

Laniakea Thu 16-Nov-17 18:50:09

dh cut the cord & was invited to peer over the drapes to see the moment of birth (I wasn't that bothered so didn't ask them about lowering them). I did want to see the placenta & was shown it. I had stitches all four times - there was a consultant who preferred staples but mine liked to stitch.

goldangel Thu 16-Nov-17 19:00:18

My 2nd c-section DH was brave enough to go to the other side of the curtain and filmed the moment ds was born! Pretty surreal to watch knowing it's me cut open 😬 but amazing at the same time.

mimiholls Thu 16-Nov-17 19:05:56

I had the curtain lowered but you can't see anything- you're lying flat on your back and incision is so low. They told me I wouldn't be able to see anything beforehand. My dh got to stand up to see everything though and have photos of baby being born which was amazing. He also cut the cord but the cord had already been cut long and he just cut it off near the belly button if that makes sense. I think it's unusual to be able to cut the cord while baby is still attached to you as it will be in a sterile area but could be wrong.
I had dissolvable stitches and incision healed perfectly.

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Thu 16-Nov-17 21:57:45

Thanks for all the responses!
It does seem there a few variations depending on certain hospital's policies.

Hopefully we'll at least be allowed a quick peep of the moment bub is born, if not, I may ask if DP is allowed the other side to take a few photos. They were quite adamant on him staying 'head end' last time, but again, not sure if it'll be more relaxed in an elective situation.

Will definitely be asking my consultant about dissolvable stitches as I see no real reason why I shouldn't be allowed to have them.
My cut did heal well after the staples had been taken out, it's just the entire time they were in it felt like hell so I'd really rather avoid them this time if possible.

Bluntness100 Thu 16-Nov-17 22:06:58

I had an emergency c section, and the mid wife told me to ask for the dissolving stitches as they wouldn’t offer and to tell them I didn’t want staples,. I did and got the dissolving stitches. My scar is practically invisible and like a white piece of thread above my pubic area. I was also cut hip bone to hip bone as I was haemorrhaging and was overweight at the time as I put on a lot of pregnancy weight.

They don’t offer to lower the curtain or anything though, and I don’t think either of us would like to have seen my tummy cut open.

I knew what was happening as the aneathatist was stroking my forehead saying things like “they are just making the first incision now, ok, you’ll feel a little pulling as he pulls your child out”.

In fact it was such a blow by blow account I kept asking him to shut the hell up, but he thought I was kidding. I wasn’t..confused.

Bluntness100 Thu 16-Nov-17 22:10:33

The the dissolving stitches are also annoying as they put a line of non dissolving. thread in horizontally through them with beads at either end. They they cut the bead off at one end and pull the thread out when it’s healed sufficiently.

The beads get caught on your knickers and tug, which is quite unpleasant.

RaeCJ82 Thu 16-Nov-17 22:21:26

Bluntness, my stitches weren’t like that. I didn’t have any non dissolvable ones that needed pulling out, just dissolvable.

fartyghost Thu 16-Nov-17 22:23:00

I had no curtain, I requested that and they were fine with it.

AtSea1979 Thu 16-Nov-17 22:24:58

I asked for the catheter to be put in after the spinal block not before which is routine. The consultant was fine with this.
I had staples, never crossed my mind to ask about that. Cutting the cord wasn't something I was interested in doing.
I requested to be sterilised at section too which they did.

OldWitch00 Thu 16-Nov-17 22:27:49

ask the consultant when you meet with him. his/her opinion matters.

LastOneDancing Thu 16-Nov-17 22:44:07

I asked for DH to cut the cord - the surgeon refused but she did leave it long so he could trim it after.
I asked for the curtain to be dropped, and to discover the sex ourselves. Both fine.
Dissolving stitches second time were so much better than the non-dissolving ones first time, no tugging pains when turning over etc.
My ELCS was a wonderful experience after a stressful EMCS first time around. I hope it's the same for you OP.

RachelRosie Thu 16-Nov-17 22:46:44

I had a Cat 3 EMCS 7 months ago...
DH was asked if he would like to cut the cord (he's not good with blood etc so that was a no!)
We were asked if we wanted to keep the placenta (again... nope!)
We didn't even think about asking for the curtain to be lowered... it did drop slightly at one point and DH saw a tad too much. They asked before hand wherever they wanted us to hold DD up for us to see or to bring her straight round.
If possible, ask a PICO dressings. It is a pressure pack dressing, you have to carry a suction pack with you for a week, but it was a dream. No issues with scar at all. Not sure how many hospitals offer it or whether it would be suitable for second C Section but worth an ask.
Good Luck smile

LumpySpaceCow Fri 17-Nov-17 21:02:16

Have had two elcs.
First time was told screen couldn't be lowered - she was held up but I couldn't see what sex she was,
2nd time opted not to have the screen at all - loved it and felt so involved. Immediate skin to skin and delayed cord clamping
Both times dh cut cord
First time I had dissolvable stitches, 2nd time I had ones that needed removing - these were much more painful. I asked the doctor recently about this and he said that the surgeon will make a choice depending on blood loss, any loose skin etc.

LumpySpaceCow Fri 17-Nov-17 21:02:40

And both times I was shown the placenta!

LumpySpaceCow Fri 17-Nov-17 21:04:54

And with the curtain down you don't see anything gory as your huge stomach is in the way!

Sunisshining12 Fri 17-Nov-17 21:16:03

Hi, sorry to rampage but I note you said you had a section only 11 months ago & are about to have another shock I was told by my midwife that I should wait 18 months before having another Pregnancy following a Section. Has this ever been mentioned to any of you?

In answer to your question, I had an emcs in the midlands, never asked about cutting the cord or the screen being down. One thing I hated was that I was the last to hold my LO, first the surgeon (obviously) then the midwife then husband then me

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Fri 17-Nov-17 21:22:47

Haha, of course it was mentioned. This pregnancy was a 'happy accident'. We in no way planned for me to fall pregnant a mere 13 odd weeks after major abdominal surgery!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in