Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Hypnobirthing - where do I start?

(7 Posts)
tinymeteor Mon 13-Nov-17 17:33:37

I'm expecting my second baby in March. Was interested in hypnobirthing when I had my first, but didn't get round to doing anything about it. Keen to look into it properly this time.

Can anyone recommend a book or a course? Is there a definitive text on this? I'm London based so open to suggestions on good classes in the area.

DD's birth was an induction/epidural job, so I'm prepared for the fact that birth plans often go sideways, but I'd like to prepare for the possibility of a more unassisted birth this time. It's a bit daft but I feel like I don't really know what 'normal' contractions feel like, so I wonder if hypnobirthing will help me even if it's as painful as the syntocinon-induced version. Anyway I figure some self-hypnosis techniques might help me cope regardless of what kind of birth I get.

pickledsausage Mon 13-Nov-17 17:40:12

www.betterbirthstories.com I went to a one day course with this lady and loved it. She provides the Katherine graves book and recordings. Am yet to give birth though so I can't vouch for its effectiveness smile

misskatamari Mon 13-Nov-17 18:02:42

I used the mongan method for both my births and would highly recommend it. There’s a book and we went to classes (alas not near you so I can’t recommend a practitioner). I had the Natal Hypnotherapy cds too which were good, but I mainly used the mongan method breathing techniques and the rainbow relaxation and affirmations. I really can’t recommend hypnobirthing highly enough, it’s amazing. It just really helps you stay calm, whatever happens during your labour.

I’m not sure if it’s something you’d consider but I had a doula for my second labour and she was amazing too and both me and dh found it a massive help having that extra bit of support (we had a home birth)

DinoMania Mon 13-Nov-17 20:31:29

Could you see if any local maternity units do a course for free? Here in Colchester they do free courses which were really informative, friendly and supportive all way through and after birth

HateHomework Mon 13-Nov-17 20:33:57

I had a few private sessions with a hypno tutor and it was absolutely amazing!!!!!!!

I ended up having emergency section but the Hypnobirthing actually helped me go through lots of very uncomfortable internal exams!
Really recommend it!

tinymeteor Tue 14-Nov-17 20:35:23

Thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't even considered the hospital might offer something, will definitely check that out

Mintykins4 Thu 16-Nov-17 21:36:04

@tinymeteor I’m in exactly the same boat, but not due until June. DS was induced on the drip as my waters went and then nothing happened, I was only 2cm when i went down to delivery (and hadn’t kept food down for three days but that’s another story) so asked for the epidural then. I think even if I don’t get the birth I think I’d prefer this time it would probably help to calm me. Got super stressed last time (shunted between hospitals, forgotten about on induction ward) which certainly didn’t help the situation. Facebook seems a good source of practitioners in the Midlands so may be similar in London? Good luck with it all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now