Advanced search

41+6 tomorrow and worried

(16 Posts)
SeatOfMyPants Fri 03-Nov-17 19:09:14

I refused induction because of bad experience with the last one - the doctors and midwives have been very supportive in my request for an ELCS but, because of the weekend, I will now be 42+1 when I have the c section.

I’m starting to fret - about everything. I think this is probably because I’ve gone from a planned Home Birth to an ELCS in the space of a few days and I don’t feel prepared. At the same time, I’m worrying about the fact I’m going over 42 weeks (I know it’s only a slight increased risk but I am on the older side too.....). I’m just worried. Need to step away from google too as just found an article about higher rates of adhd in babies over 42 weeks

sad looking for a hand hold and positive experiences....

Believeitornot Fri 03-Nov-17 19:10:38

Run a bath, have a sip of champagne and relax. Try and switch off for a bit.
I assume you’re having regular checks etc?

SeatOfMyPants Fri 03-Nov-17 19:42:31

I was scanned on Tuesday at 41w 2 to check placental function - all seemed fine.

My Midwife checked her yesterday when she gave me a sweep....

The dr said that I can come in for monitoring at any time over the weekend if I’m worried. And I’ve got my Home birth midwives to call too.

Just have a feeling of dread and don’t know where it’s coming from....

nooka Fri 03-Nov-17 19:50:39

Hi OP, I don't have any experience of going overdue, but have had the planned home birth to c-section change and I'm not surprised you are feeling anxious! I think if I were you I'd plan to go in first thing tomorrow for a check. Not because I think that there is anything wrong but because you need the reassurance. Definitely step away from Google!

SeatOfMyPants Sat 04-Nov-17 03:36:11

Thanks, yes, maybe I’ll go in if I’m still feeling worried. I’ve irritatingly also got insomnia tonight (unrelated) which doesn’t help.
Was feeling ok until consultant exoresssed her concern about going even one day over......

People keep telling me that she’ll come over the weekend but I’ve got a feeling that’s not happening - there is absolutely zero change as far as I can see - which again makes me fret there’s some problem which means she can’t - although all monitoring has indicated a happy baby.

But think it’s mainly the sudden change in plan.

Efferlunt Sat 04-Nov-17 03:46:39

Hi I’m awake and overdue also. No advice but why don’t you pop in for monitoring tomorrow? Plan may help you sleep.

I also refused induction and am being monitored I’m technically not supposed to go overdue at all because I’m over 40 but looking at the small increase in risk and given that I’ve only been 40 for a couple of months I feel like induction risks are about the same as waiting.

Duckstar Sat 04-Nov-17 03:46:51

Step away from Google (although I know easier said then done)!

Haven’t gone overdue so can’t give experience on that. Just to say my third was by ELCS and it was a beautiful birth.

If you are at all worried go in tomorrow morning for monitoring.

Duckstar Sat 04-Nov-17 03:47:59

Just to add my first was induction and that was the only thing I said about next 2 births “no induction”.

SeatOfMyPants Sat 04-Nov-17 04:09:00

Hello other wakeful people. Had this on an off through pregnancy - just annoying that it’s happened tonight.

Yes, induction didn’t go well last time this way. They offered me the pessary this time (spent some 8 hours on the drip last time) as a softer option but my bishops score was 3, cervix unfavourable and I don’t see how the pessary isn’t just going to end up going where I don’t want to go.... I too swore that this time no induction.

But the good thing is I feel really supported and listened to by the drs and midwives in making the decision, which is great. Maybe now we know that she’s coming on Monday I’m just finding the last bit of the waiting game a struggle.

sentenceinterrupted Sat 04-Nov-17 04:25:48

At 42 weeks (my age of 42), I also succumbed to going into hospital instead of Hb as dc1 and 2 were. I had had no signs but all I needed was my waters broken by the midwife and I was started... maybe you are a lot closer than you think. Good luck!

Duckstar Sat 04-Nov-17 07:44:34

How you feeling this morning Seat?

Battyoldbat Sat 04-Nov-17 08:04:50

My third baby was born at 42+4, I refused induction and opted for daily monitoring instead and had a planned home birth. It was a very positive experience for us, the midwives and consultant were all very supportive.
Is there a medical reason for an Elcs or is that your option instead of induction? Have you been offered daily monitoring as an alternative (as per the nice guidelines)?

SeatOfMyPants Sat 04-Nov-17 09:04:54

Tired. V tired....

Good to know Batty.... that’s lovely to hear. Yes, ELCS is my alternative to induction because of induction disaster last time. they offered monitoring - but I’m just not confident enough to take the risk even though I know it’s small...

I’ll see how today goes....

ElizabethShaw Sat 04-Nov-17 09:09:32

Even if you go for an induction they might not be able to fit you in til Monday anyway, and it might take til then for the actual birth!

Go in today, get monitored, and talk over the risks and options again with a midwife.

KellyMarieTunstall2 Sun 05-Nov-17 15:01:32

Hi, I went to 42+4, refused induction and had daily monitoring and sweeps and went into labour naturally. I was 37 then and my daughter is OK, no ADHD. Don't be worrying yourself about googly stuff :-)

Duckstar Tue 07-Nov-17 11:12:36

Seat just checking in. Hope all went well x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: