Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.
Vaginal breech birth or C-section, advise please(16 Posts)
I’m 36 weeks with my third and my baby is currently breech with legs extended. I had natural births with my other two DC who were both head down. I know there is still a bit of time for baby to turn and I haven’t yet spoken about trying to have baby turned manually with the midwife yet as my appointment with her isn’t until next week (had a growth scan a few days ago which is how I found out baby is breech).
Anyway my question is (based on if baby doesn’t turn and remains breech that is) what is the best option considering it’s my third baby? I’ve read online that c section is safer for the baby but I’m just worried about either way to be honest and would like some opinions on people who have experienced a breech delivery whether it resulted in vaginally or c section?
Section for me.
Baby was ok, so was I.
Good luck x
My dc1 was extended breech (legs straight up in front), and I was told this type of breech is the least likely to turn, as they can’t use their legs to flip over. She didn’t turn, and I had a planned c section at 38 weeks. I was told a c section was the safest form of delivery in this situation, and never considered the other option. It was a really positive experience, and if you keep on top of the pain meds, hardly any pain, just slight soreness from the wound. I was up and about soon afterwards, and was able to bf straight away.
I had the same dilemma 12 years ago. In my case baby no 4 turned breech around 37 weeks for a while and then was an unstable lie. She was also a big baby.
I tried external version - which seemed to work beautifully until the consultant went out the door and she turned back. Eventually what seemed to do it was moxabustion and she was born head first.
I would keep my mind open, ask round if there are any consultants who are experienced in breech deliveries, get them to refer you for further specialist scans to determine if there is a reason why baby is breech, try moxabustion (easy enough to do yourself) every night.
Then you can see what happens. Don't get pushed into deciding yet.
Thank you, I’m panicking about the recovery of a c section was to be the case. Not being able to drive for 6 weeks isn’t an option, I can’t be immobile because of my other DC. I hate the thought of not being able to do much. I will know more after my midwife appointment next week (I’ll be two days away from 37 weeks by then so if baby hasn’t yet turned I guess it would be time to put a plan into place)
It depends. Ask your midwife if misdwives at the hospital where you plan to give birth have experience of helping to birth breech babies - many midwives have no experience at all because most women woith breech babies have a CS. An experienced midwife would make all the difference. if not, I'd have a CS, I think.
I don't have experience of a breech birth but C section sounds the safest option. It is better to have planned for a section and not need it if the baby turns, than to need an emergency section if things don't go right during labour. Recover from a planned section is (usually) easier/quicker than emergency.
if baby stays breech they'll offer to turn it - success rates average 50-70% and higher if your baby is an extended breech or you've had kids before . Otherwise see what your team say re pros and cons of vaginal breech delivery v C/S to help you decide what would be best for you .
I would not birth a breech baby in a hospital. The protocol is a c section so the level of experience can be really low and you never know which midwife you'll get and whether they've ever even seen a breech birth let alone assisted one. I hired an independent midwife who has done many breech births - which was irrelevant in the end as the baby flipped at 38 weeks with one great big heave! She wasn't extended though.
You don't have to decide now, wait and see, try and turn the baby (see the website spinning babies) and then make a call in a couple of weeks.
I'd make use of the spinning babies website, request an external cephalic version, and I'd talk to the midwifery team looking after me about their experience of breech births. (Is breech with legs extended a frank breech? I'm a bit confused!) If using an independent midwife was an option, I'd be very tempted to do so. C section would be my last choice, but if I couldn't be attended by a midwife/ team experienced and confident in breech births, or if my baby was the type of breech which really raises the risks (eg footling or complete) I'd have to go with that option.
My first was undiagnosed breech. At 5cm dialated they realised that she was Frank breech (with her legs up near her head). I had to make a snap decision whether to have an emergency section or deliver her. I went for delivery. Not only was she breech, but she was back to back too so delivery wasn't easy. Due baby number 2 in 3 weeks and, surprise surprise, He's also breech. They've said i could opt for vaginal delivery as they know my pelvis can handle it and everything is looser when you've already had a baby, but it was honestly so traumatic I think I'm going to have to go for a section. The way my midwife has explained it is that vaginal delivery - risks are on baby. C section- risks are on you. Neither is a nice option but unless the little tinkers then then it's got to be one or the other!
My daughter was breach. We had a failed ecv. Had a planned c-section at 39 weeks. It was lovely. I was driving after 10 days I think. I rang my insurance to ask and they said as long as I felt able I was fine to drive - obviously different insurers may differ! Yes the recovery is longer and you won’t be able to lift your older children for a while but they’ll get by (I had an op recently and haven’t been able to pick up my toddler properly for weeks). My consultant was very much ‘baby hasn’t turned, let’s book your c-section’ and that was fine by me. I’d only had the one child so I appreciate it might be less worrying to birth a breach baby if you’ve had other successful vaginal deliveries. Have a good chat with your midwife.
Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I did read online about the vaginal breech poses more risk to baby and c section to me. I don’t have to worry about picking up my older two as they’re 4 and 5 and being heavily pregnant I can’t carry them at the moment anyway lol. My mums told me I’d probably give birth easy considering I’ve had two already which makes me feel better (mums a former midwife herself so had a good talk with her too)
Baby has to come out somehow anyway whether it be c section, the right way or upside down or whatever
I've had 2 breech babies and currently pregnant with a 3Rd one (4th baby, first head down, 2nd fooling, 3Rd complete). I researched and decided that ELCS would be the best choice for me. I had a traumatic first birth and I didn't want a repeat of an instrumental - my hospital didn't really practise breech birth, it was more of a breech extraction with you on your back and forceps and tbh, I couldn't be bothered arguing about having a non medicalised approach and didn't feel confident in trying to labour naturally.
The sections were fine. Recovery straightforward (better than my first vaginal) but I understand you reluctance for a section as it is major surgery and you've had two other straightforward vaginal births.
There is a Facebook group called breech birth UK, add yourself to it and post there. Lots of different experiences including breech vaginal birth and lots of knowledgeable people on there.
From what I've read, breech vaginal birth can be successful when the labour is spontaneous and progressing (no induction or augmentation, of not progressing then section) and your able to be mobile and birth in upright positions. When the baby emerges it is 'hands off the breech'. Google Mary Kronk, she is an expert in this area.
Hope all goes well, whatever you decide x
Forgot to add, my children are younger than yours and recovery still OK!
I'm in the same situation and trying to resist the c-sec. I'm bullied into a section by consultant. I'm nearly 38 weeks, first baby and extended breech. Anyone can recommend an osteopath to help the baby turn? Or a midwife to support the breech birth? Ive of course spent days on spinning babies...
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.