Talk

Advanced search

Big baby, back to back. Positive birth stories

(11 Posts)
DollyLlama Thu 02-Nov-17 19:57:51

Hi ladies. I'm a second time mum and being induced on Saturday. My 1st was born at 6lbs 1oz but this little one is going to be roughly 9lbs and back to back. I'm terrified! I only used gas and air last time but really worries about the pain levels with this one.

Please can anyone share some positive birth stories of large babies, back to back labour or both?

endofacentury Thu 02-Nov-17 20:08:14

My baby was back to back and they told me she was going to be over 9lbs so I was petrified. However when she was born she was only 7lbs! My waters went first so was a dry back to back labour, it was very painful I’m not going to lie but I didn’t get time for an epidural. I would definitely have that next time. I also had quite significant back pain for 6 weeks after delivery. Good luck

PurplePotatoes Thu 02-Nov-17 20:13:49

DS was back to back and turned just before he was born. He was 9lb 1.5oz.
I have to say I was dreading it as I couldn't get him to turn but I didn't find it horrendous or anything. My contraction pains were all in my back but personally I found that easier to manage than normal contractions with DD. They started at 3am and were manageable right up to 3pm..went into hospital at 4 and was already 10cm...3 contractions and he was born at 4.45! Try not to worry too much as each birth is different and back to back doesn't always mean a terrible time. I'd take it over induction with my DD any day!

Mrsknackered Thu 02-Nov-17 20:16:09

I would take the baby measurements with a pinch of salt. Both of mine have been way off.
I did have back to back with the first, the pain wasn't anymore than my other birth I don't think, but I did tear. It was a bad tear but that probably is my fault as I refused an episiotomy.

mummy2pickle Thu 02-Nov-17 20:16:47

I haven't had a back to back baby but had two large babies DD was 9lb 10 and DS 10lb 7 and both labour were text book and quick. DS (4 months old) literally went from a twinge to him arriving in 1 hour and 12 mins! he took 4 pushes and was out I found that gravity played its part. The midwife kept saying that heavier babies can be easier to deliver and it certainly was the case for me. I know it's not always the case but fingers crossed for you.

Spanneroo Thu 02-Nov-17 20:19:23

I am petite and 5'3". My first was back to back and estimated to be 10lb+

I laboured with no pain relief and delivered her with no issues at all - not even a graze. She turned out to be 7lb 11!

There's a really good article on midwife thinking called "in celebration of the OP baby" and it really helped me stay calm and focused and armed me with the facts, rather than hearsay/the rumour mill.

RaindropsAndSparkles Thu 02-Nov-17 20:25:38

I'd put your foot down, request a consultant appointment and a scan to check growth and no complications like cord wrapped round neck. I'd also have a frank conversation about availability of epidural if they insist on a vaginal birth. Would have no hesitation in requesting an honest discussion about % of tears, prolapses, etc., relating to posterior birth and I'd note that if my choices weren't expected and there was risk of damage to the baby and/or me I'd hold them responsible for it in the absence of transparency and choice. Sorry bitter. It was only 8.75 hours though and I avoided serious tears but d's had a compressed cord (bloody lucky he survives without damage) and I had a prolapse bladder.

Sayhellotothelittlefella Fri 03-Nov-17 07:58:08

All of my babies were back to back going into Labour and they were HUGE ( think over 10lb - biggest 12lb) and they all turned on the way out. It meant a long first stage and doubling up of contractions - one long and strong to push and then a shorter one to turn. Tips I can give is lie on your left in bed and lots of "scrubbing floors" I was told ( I think the action of being on all fours is what they meant but hey just chuck in a bit of latent sexism while your at it!!)

Mustang27 Fri 03-Nov-17 09:10:43

I birthed a back to back 8lb 8oz baby on gas and air in the birthing pool. Honestly it was fine. I hadn’t even realised it was supposed to be unbearable due to it being my first.

Have a good birth plan in place and decide what you would like to be happening in all eventualities. You will be amazing.

Rhynswynd Tue 07-Nov-17 20:29:51

My 3rd baby was back to back and weighed 9lb. I had no pain relief other than gas and air even though I begged. Birth was 4 hours start to finish so no time for it. It hurt like hell but I am 33 weeks pregnant so I must have forgotten that part.

That birth was the fastest and easiest recovery for me. I was out shopping the next day and felt amazing. Previous babies were 10lb 3oz and 9lb 1oz both epidural and both over 12 hours.

asongforthelovers Wed 08-Nov-17 18:50:14

My 2nd was back to back and was 9lbs 7. That was my easiest labour, went to labour ward and she arrived 40 mins later.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: