Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Water births...

(15 Posts)
Karaa Tue 31-Oct-17 16:10:06

I’m hoping to have a water birth smile Would love to hear any stories you all have good or bad x

CisMyArse Tue 31-Oct-17 16:14:55

Both my DD's were full waterbirths. Amazing experience and I requested that the MW was hands off so I felt really empowered afterwards.

I love the water and benefited hugely from the heat. It relaxed me and I didn't need anything else. That said, be prepared for floaters (but a sieve) - and however much that grosses you out now, you really won't care at the time.

It really depends on your perception of childbirth and the wants that you have. I loved it and couldn't ever imagine lying on a hospital bed. It was a total privilege and I wouldn't change any aspect of it.

KarateKitten Tue 31-Oct-17 16:15:35

2nd and 3rd were water births. I liked that you can change positions so easily and have some freedom to just get on with things yourself. I'd highly recommend them. I'm not going to lie and say they helped with the pain, who knows if they do or not! It's all relativesmile

ItchySeveredFoot Tue 31-Oct-17 16:17:54

2nd was a water birth. So much more relaxing than my first child. It did help with pain relief for a while and I used nothing but gas and air. I did tear in 3 places though which didn't happen with my first as I was given an episiotomy.

Rodent01 Tue 31-Oct-17 18:03:51

Loved mine with DD2, was only in there an hour as was a very quick labour!!

But, something I wasn't prepared for: when the head is born, your lower half / it stays underwater and you are told not to touch it until next contraction and the body is born and you can then bring baby up to surface and they then breathe! If they are touched they might be stimulated to take a breath too soon.

I was convinced she was going to drown, but obvs they have been in liquid all this time so it's just an extension of that till they surface.

Would have just have been good to know this beforehand - poss just me being dim!

booboobutt Tue 31-Oct-17 18:28:36

I had two water births (although neither actually born in the water, I just laboured in the water) and it was a fantastic pain relief!

You can move more easily without lugging your heft about, when the water is warm and your partners hands are cold on your lower back that really does help.

I would definitely recommend a water birth, every time.

JolieColombe Tue 31-Oct-17 18:58:02

My second was a water birth, and I loved it. Such a difference to my first which ended up with an epidural, episiotomy, forceps and tears. To be fair, number one was both back-to-back and fecking huge! The second one was such a relief after that, so calm and (comparatively!) relaxed, although labour was quite quick so I wasn't in the water terribly long! Even just the help supporting the weight was great, it was so much easier to move around.

confused123456 Tue 31-Oct-17 20:58:40

I didn't give birth in the water (had a 4 day early labour and was physically exhausted so was given pethadine), but i was in the pool for a while. It was amazing.
I'd defo consider it next time.

Fitzsimmons Tue 31-Oct-17 21:03:53

I had a water birth the second time around with gas and air. I found it so relaxing that when it came to pushing I genuinely felt like I was having some sort of body experience and that it wasn't me pushing! Very weird but at no point did the pain bother me so I guess it was pretty effective.

Spanneroo Tue 31-Oct-17 21:06:39

Do it.

Both of mine were waterbirths. It's so private, you're in control the whole time, the pain relief is really quite amazing, the extra manouverability is great.

I had one back to back baby and one who came out facing the side, so neither of them optimal positioning for unassisted drug free labours but I did it - and was back on my feet and moving around within minutes of them being born.

If you're considering it, do it.

Nomad86 Tue 31-Oct-17 21:09:08

2nd was born in the water, much better experience and only needed gas and air. The midwives were very hands off and let me get on with it. It felt exactly how it should be, if that makes sense. The hot water provided a lot of pain relief. I would definitely recommend it to anyone having a low risk birth.

That said, my first baby was back to back and I needed an episiotomy. If I'd been in the water, I'd have had to get out for it, not sure how easy that would have been so I'm glad I wasn't in the pool that time.

With my second, I got to the birth centre room only to be told the hot water was broken! Fortunately it got fixed in time for me to get in and push. There are loads of reasons why they might not let you in the pool or birth centre so don't set your heart on any particular birth plan. And if you can't have a water birth, at least you can have the drugs!

annlee3817 Tue 31-Oct-17 22:13:42

Mine was ok, it was nice to kind of float around between contractions, but once I got to the pushing phase I found the water too warm and as it couldn't be colder I got out after pushing for an hour or so. I also didn't feel that it acted as a pain relief, it was just good that it supported my body a bit.

Itsjustaphase84 Tue 31-Oct-17 22:17:47

I think I got in the pool too early. I read that this can cause contractions to ease off and they did. I had to get out then. Fingers crossed it all works out with dc 2.

HumpHumpWhale Tue 31-Oct-17 22:24:23

I had a water birth with my first. It was great, I laboured and pushed on all fours and couldn't have supported my own weight for that long out of the water. I didn't think it was doing much for the pain until I got out briefly for an internal exam. I was begging to get back in! I wanted the same with my second but I was pushing before they got me anywhere near a delivery room so they didn't have time to even get me the 10 feet down the hall to the pool, never mind fill it! I found the thought of it really helped me though - I.e. I kept thinking "soon I'll be in the pool and have the lovely gas and air". Helped me relax through the contractions at home for what turned out to be virtually my entire labour.

CisMyArse Thu 02-Nov-17 09:07:45

Any more thoughts on this OP?
It is magnificent but knowledge is power so ask as many questions as possible.

As you can see, you can stay in for the full birth, you can get out - it's how you feel.

Of course you get out for birthing the placenta - that would be too messy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now