Talk

Advanced search

I didn't know I was in labour?!?

(136 Posts)
FluffyFlowerFace Mon 30-Oct-17 22:24:55

I had my ds at 34 +4 weeks. On the Monday i felt like I had a temperature. I picked up then had period cramps on Thursday. On Friday I started with period cramps but no back or leg pain at midnight. The pain continued but it wasn't unbearable. I passed some blood at 2pm went to hospital and was 8cm. Had him at 6pm. Why wouldn't I know I was in labour?

MollyHuaCha Mon 30-Oct-17 22:44:09

No idea. Congratulations though! flowers

AvoidingDM Mon 30-Oct-17 22:46:30

Because labour isn't always as dramatic as TV would have you believe.

FluffyFlowerFace Mon 30-Oct-17 22:50:04

I just thought I would know. It worries me that I had no recognition

AvoidingDM Mon 30-Oct-17 22:54:53

Don't worry about it, your body just did what it needed to do. Nobody tells animals what's happening their bodies just do it.

Enjoy your sweet baby. Time will fly and it will be no time before your thinking about 1st Birthday.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 30-Oct-17 22:55:59

I think its because it's unexpected and doesn't conform to what we expect labour to be.

I was having twins. I'm a twin born at 33 weeks so knew twins were often premature. I had done lots of research, considered myself pretty clued up.

Then I got back ache during the night at 2u weeks. By morning I was on my hands and knees since it relieved the pain a little. It was 'coming and going' every 20 minutes or so. But it was just in my lower back. No period pains / cramps. No pain around my bump.

It did not occur to me, at all, not even fleetingly, that it could be labour. Went to GP who turned me away (no appointments) but my H was worried and took me to hospital. Midwife said I was in labour and i was gobsmacked.

In hindsight, I felt very foolish, but honestly, at the time, it just wasn't what (and when) I expected labour to be.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 30-Oct-17 22:57:16

* should say have 27 weeks, not 2u weeks!!

FluffyFlowerFace Mon 30-Oct-17 23:00:06

How are your twins? Z

Ninjakittysmells Mon 30-Oct-17 23:05:55

I woke feeling “funny” on my due date, went to the loo and had a massive bleed. Was going to drive myself to hospital but thought I’d best ring my mum. Didn’t have a clue I was in labour and arrived at the hospital at 10cm. I had an incompetent cervix due to previous treatment, so labour was very fast - but it still never twigged and I actually went into shock / didn’t know to push etc, as I genuinely just didn’t really know what was happening and was so blindsided by it all.

ApplesTheHare Mon 30-Oct-17 23:12:52

From speaking to friends it's more common than you think not to realise. I went to hospital at 37 weeks wondering if my waters had started to go. Didn't think I was in labour but turns out I was 9cm!

Nothing to worry about as long as you and baby are healthy though, congratulations flowers

namechangedtoday15 Mon 30-Oct-17 23:53:00

Twins are fine, we had a 2 month stay in hospital as they were tiny (2lb 6oz each) but all good smile

FluffyFlowerFace Tue 31-Oct-17 00:13:20

I keep reading about the risks of him being early and crying alot

user1471549672 Tue 31-Oct-17 00:38:30

At 37 weeks, I only had tightening of my stomach ,with no pain at all, getting more and more frequent until a few minutes apart. Spoke to the hospitality this stage, who said it would be Braxton hicks, but said to pop in if I was concerned, so I did and just as well I did. Waters broke in the car park of the hospital and pain began full on, examination revealed I was 10cm dilated. After being unable to identify when I was have a contraction my back to back baby was delivered within the hour via ventousse as he was becoming distressed. All ended well .... but I too had expected to be able to tell when I was in labour.

Bryonie2017 Tue 31-Oct-17 00:47:41

Hi fluffyflowerface I had my DD early at 28 weeks and I had no idea I was in labour either - and I was in hospital for observation at the time! I want from "you're in labour" at 4am to emergency c section she was born at 12 noon.

And stop looking at the risks! At 34 weeks they are pretty small anyway and you will just drive yourself crazy. Take each day as it comes, celebrate each little milestone and you'll be home before you know it. DD and I were in 8 weeks and went home 3 weeks before my due date. She's now nearly 6 months.

FluffyFlowerFace Tue 31-Oct-17 00:51:54

I'm just really upset tonight

LadyFarnborough Tue 31-Oct-17 00:56:22

Fluffy, how old is your baby now?
I had my son at 33+4 after my waters broke very unexpectedly. I went for monitoring convinced that it was just discharge but while being checked out the contractions started. He’s just turned one now and is absolutely fine. You would have no idea now that he was early. All the midwives and nurses at the time were telling me that a baby born at that gestation isn’t really too much of a worry these days.
It’s a shock to the system to have a baby so early but don’t worry yourself over the what ifs.

underthebluemoon Tue 31-Oct-17 00:57:45

You seem quite anxious about him being early. How old is he now? Can you talk to your midwife?
Try to enjoy him. It'll be okay.

FluffyFlowerFace Tue 31-Oct-17 00:57:54

He's 17 days. I'm reading research telling me he's going to have learning difficulties and be too small

underthebluemoon Tue 31-Oct-17 01:01:04

The doctor who delivered DS was very premature and she turned out fine. You are worrying yourself needlessly.
What weight was he?

FluffyFlowerFace Tue 31-Oct-17 01:01:27

4lb 13oz

underthebluemoon Tue 31-Oct-17 01:04:49

And he's doing okay? Please talk to your GP or midwife so they can help you.

FluffyFlowerFace Tue 31-Oct-17 01:06:34

He seems to be but we won't know until he's older will we?

reallyanotherone Tue 31-Oct-17 01:13:26

Leg pain? Is that expected in labour? It’s not something I would be expecting.

Labours are all different, and very rarely like you see on tv, where you suddenly say “i think my water just broke” with absolutely no warning, then go straight to hospital while all your friends sit in the waiting room.

IAmALeafOnTheWindWatchHowISoar Tue 31-Oct-17 01:14:19

My premature 5lber is now 15 and 6 ft tall with size 10 feet. He's doing his GCSEs this year and is expected to get 11 A-A*'s.

So there's hope.

scrivette Tue 31-Oct-17 01:14:48

The Doctors’s should be able to advise you on what/if any side affects there may/may not be.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby.

I didn’t know I was in labour at 40 weeks, I just felt a bit ill, then was very sick and my waters broke. By the time I got to the hospital 8 mins later my body was starting to push.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now