Talk

Advanced search

Likelihood of sweep if head is still free?

(10 Posts)
HopelesslyHopeful87 Mon 30-Oct-17 16:28:38

37+5 and booked for a sweep at 38 and 39. Consultant doesn't want me to go 'too overdue' - whatever that means. Antenatal checkup today and head is still free. Community midwife said this obviously isn't favourable for a sweep. Sweep is booked to be done in the hospital not in the community.

What is the likelihood of this actually going ahead? Fully prepared to be told can't be done and go back the following week at 39 weeks. Fine.

But then what? I'm booked to see CMW again at 40+1 if not given birth by then.

I don't really know why I'm asking or what I expect you to be able to tell me but it's like I've got this plan that potentially can't/won't go to plan and I've no idea what's going to bloody happen.

PinkHippo1 Mon 30-Oct-17 17:25:44

Hi there! I had my 38 week appointment last week and was told the head wasn't engaged yet. I enquired about a potential sweep at 40 weeks and the community midwife said they would it do it if the head is engaged. This doesn't really answer your question about what would happen next but just thought I would share this experience. Good luckflowers

tootsieglitterballs Tue 31-Oct-17 08:40:56

Is this your first or second? I was told that with second babies, they often don’t engage until you are in labour, but they still do sweeps...

HopelesslyHopeful87 Tue 31-Oct-17 09:18:04

It's my third. Previous two were relatively big babies and very high risk. This one not high risk but due to past issues and assisted deliveries they don't want to leave things.

I'm more scared and confused by things this time than I was before.

tootsieglitterballs Tue 31-Oct-17 11:40:02

I would have thought then they would still do a sweep otherwise most subsequent pregnancies wouldn’t get sweeps due to babies not being engaged.

Hope all goes well for you!

BabyDreams2018 Tue 31-Oct-17 11:50:03

I think it depends more on condition the cervix (is it favourable for birth?) than about the head being engaged but I'm not sure.

HopelesslyHopeful87 Tue 31-Oct-17 13:25:02

This is why I'm confused because my cmw said they might not do it if not engaged but then equally she might never engage until labour so might never be favourable. I left the appt feeling like everything had been contradicted. Oh well... appt is tomorrow so I'll update with what happens.

Should I wear a pad just in case? Never had this before...

SnowWhite33 Tue 31-Oct-17 17:15:44

Im in similar situation, currently almost 38w, sweep booked at 39.4w. Head not engaged yet (2nd pregnancy, 1st never got engaged either and was induced when overdue). MW said sweep still possible even if not engaged but not guaranteed. they will need to check first she said, and it might be that they 'cannot feel it' so wont be able to do it she said 😜 now what exactly she needs to feel im not sure, but hope is not lost 😄

midnightflowers Tue 31-Oct-17 17:22:36

I was given a sweep at 37 weeks when baby’s head was free (had polyhydramnios so baby’s head couldn’t engage until my waters went)
Am booked in for one this time around at 37 again and no one has said baby needs to be engaged

HopelesslyHopeful87 Wed 01-Nov-17 18:47:10

Sweep was done successfully. Painfully but successfully. Midwife explained that even tho baby's head not engaged it was fixed in the pelvis and not balottable so that's a good sign. If it was balottable then it would have been a no go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now