Talk

Advanced search

37 weeks, in hospital, induction starts tomorrow...

(33 Posts)
GingerHanna Fri 27-Oct-17 18:20:47

So yeah, I’ve been in and out of hospital many times this last fortnight and this time they have told me I’m staying...

First off, CTG, heartbeat and placenta function is fine. However, we have episodes of reduced movement, growth slowing down, fluid levels dropped substantially and now pretty much danger zone and BP has been up and down. Basically they managed to hold off this last week and were hoping to get me as near to 38 weeks as possible but have decided it’s time to go.

First time baby and still a bit in disbelief. Have sent DH away for the night to go have beers with a friend then sort house out tomorrow. I am planning on sleeping as much as possible as long as possible!

I’m on twice daily CTGs and plan is to insert a balloon catheter tomorrow mid afternoon. Then Sunday morning, providing it’s done its job then AROM and IV straight away. Cervix is currently clamped shut so tomorrow could be ‘uncomfortable’ but we don’t have a choice. He has to come out before it is too late.

Guess I’m posting to hear if others have had similar experiences? I have a doula and was planning hypnobirthing but haven’t had the chance to do my practice ‘meditations’ so that might be out of the window!

twistorstick Fri 27-Oct-17 18:26:11

Good luck, you are going to be fine -
Stay as active as you can and positive as you can.
I have had three inductions & all good experiences.

GingerHanna Fri 27-Oct-17 20:21:26

Thanks Twister. Good to hear!

I forgot to mention that his growth has slowed down also... hence why too many indicators on the wrong side of happy to leave him in there.

There is a man in the next room singing. Guess he is singing his newborn to sleep?

Flisspaps Fri 27-Oct-17 20:58:27

Can I be honest?

In your shoes (and having been induced before) I’d decline the induction and request a CS. Recovery from CS is hard but induction when your body simply isn’t ready is likely to also be painful as well as difficult and lengthy (days) and quite likely to end in CS anyway.

I genuinely hope it isn’t, and have no wish to worry you although I appreciate that’s likely to be exactly what I am doing. If they’re that worried then they need to get that lovely baby of yours out sooner rather than later.

GingerHanna Sat 28-Oct-17 04:35:40

Thanks Fliss. I appreciate the advice and will ask them about real likelihood of success and of needing a CS.

I do want to avoid a CS if at all possible but aware of the possibility.

luckkkkkky7 Sat 28-Oct-17 05:36:54

Yep I've just had my little princess a week early, reduced movements an BP up so was induced.....
everything went fine and they started my induction Friday had her on the Sunday smile good luck hunni x

GingerHanna Sat 28-Oct-17 05:39:37

Thanks Lucky.

Bored in hospital right now. Don’t want to text DH as will wake him and want one of us to at least get some sleep. 5.5 hours of broken sleep for me on the back of two crap nights beforehand... LO was a bit more active last night but sluggish again this morning. CTG soon I am sure and we shall see what we see...

Not sure if I should be more nervous... guess that kicks in later. Just tired right now but mind too busy to sleep.

luckkkkkky7 Sat 28-Oct-17 05:39:39

Ps not going to lie it's uncomfortable and I my cervix was the same but just remember the little gift at the end ..... i was back to back up until she arrived ..
But as soon as they are out it's true...
The pain stops..... xxxx

GingerHanna Sat 28-Oct-17 05:47:00

Back to side here! Thankfully no longer back to back but I do miss his feet sticking out.

Expecting the balloon insertion will be very uncomfortable but hey, maybe my breathing exercises will help?! grin

luckkkkkky7 Sat 28-Oct-17 05:52:18

Of course smile I went for walks too round the hospital and bounced on my ball

luckkkkkky7 Sat 28-Oct-17 05:53:11

I'm going to be watching this post for updates and you need a chat smile

GingerHanna Sat 28-Oct-17 05:56:46

Thank you! I think the company will be welcomed! Not going far as expect to be on continual monitoring so 1.5m tether... we shall see. DH is bringing my big birthing ball though which I love.

luckkkkkky7 Sat 28-Oct-17 05:59:52

Get some nice treats too I had drinks and snacks x
So exciting I'm broody again ! Haha

GingerHanna Sat 28-Oct-17 06:04:52

I have a bag of flapjack, dried fruits, nuts etc. plus squash and electrolytes. So feel sorted on that front... it’s just the rest of the fronts I’m worried about!

luckkkkkky7 Sat 28-Oct-17 06:15:17

Aw try not to worry, your in the right place smile you never know once the induction starts you might go fast smile
The inducing itself is quick it's just you feel crampy.
They do say you give birth quickewith women who's blood pressure goes up in pregnancy.

twistorstick Sat 28-Oct-17 10:12:47

Hope all going well & started in the right direction. With continuous monitoring you can still try & stay active on the birth ball or standing.

Quick run down if it helps for you as I probably should have added it in the first post:
1st induction due to high BP, then hind waters went with no labour - baby back to back- first baby so no ideas of what to expect but focused on getting baby out.
2nd induction - growth concerns of baby, my liver levels were too high & had OC so baby had to come at 37 weeks.
3rd baby - liver levels going up, reduced movement & waters went morning of Induction with meconium no labour so straight to drip to get baby out.

I haven’t had the balloon thing, but whatever they are doing try and go with and your or your husband should ask about the each thing being necessary & how successful they think each intervention will be & ask about C-section too as if baby needs to come out ASAP that is quickest way.

Good luck

GingerHanna Sat 28-Oct-17 19:47:38

So, catheter insertion went well. A lot less painful than expected.

Cramping now so a couple of paracetamol and a sedative to get some sleep and then see where we are in the morning. Fingers crossed we will be good to go

GingerHanna Sun 29-Oct-17 07:25:03

Balloon worked. 3cm dilated and all systems go!

chinalass Sun 29-Oct-17 07:28:20

So glad the balloon worked. It didn’t for me.

Wishing you all the best - have you had steroid injection for baby’s lungs just in case you have a section?

twistorstick Sun 29-Oct-17 07:55:01

So exciting- good luck! Keep moving!

Flisspaps Sun 29-Oct-17 10:33:54

I am so pleased! Fingers crossed for you, how exciting grin

GingerHanna Sun 29-Oct-17 20:30:08

So, please welcome Joseph Richard to the world born today at 17:10 and weighing in at 2.8kg. Nine hour induced labour, epidural after five hours as was overwhelming and then just 15 minutes of pushing!

All is well and we will be going home in the morning. We were offered to go home tonight but don’t feel quite ready yet!

iMatter Sun 29-Oct-17 20:34:22

Gorgeous 😍

Congratulations! flowers

twistorstick Sun 29-Oct-17 20:56:34

What amazing news! Well done you, huge congratulations.

Flisspaps Sun 29-Oct-17 21:49:40

Congratulations - he is utterly gorgeous (I bet you are glad you didn’t take my “advice” grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now