Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Induction VS Elective C Section

(3 Posts)
Moomin1234 Tue 24-Oct-17 09:16:18

Hi there. I'm pregnant for the first time age 42 and had discussion yesterday with midwife who said they are likely to induce me at 40 weeks. I have had a few friends with induction horror stories and I feel that given this baby is a bit of a miracle (5 years IVF then conceived naturally!) I want the birth to be as calm as possible and so am thinking about an elective c section. This will be our only baby so I'm not concerned with subsequent pregnancies. Help!

PressPaws Tue 24-Oct-17 09:41:10

Congratulations!

I've had 2 births, first one (DD) was an induction, second (DS) was an elective CS. So I'm happy to answer questions about both.

My personal experience of induction was really bad. I found the whole process of induction (with gel on the cervix, followed by manually breaking waters and the drip) painful and invasive. I ended up with an episiotomy, tearing, ventouse delivery and haemorrhage. Recovery was awful and very painful over quite a long time.

Elective CS was so much better. Very calm and in control. A few scary moments - the spinal made me shake uncontrollably and I didn't like the tugging/pushing. But overall so much easier to cope with. This was 4 months ago and recovery has been great. I was up walking the next day. As long as I stayed on top of the pain with the drugs it was very maneagable and the worst of it was gone in about ten days I think.

I'm not having any more babies but if I had gone back for a third I would have chosen another CS with no hesitation. But I'm sure some people have had a bad CS or a great induction! It varies so much.

DuggeeHugs Tue 24-Oct-17 19:28:12

Congratulations on your miracle baby!

DC1 was delivered by EMCS after a failed induction. The EMCS was great - lovely and calm. DC2 was ELCS - also a wonderful birth. Both in my late 30s. My only regret with either is that I didn't realise I could refuse an induction as I could have saved myself a lot of difficulty.

If you're after a calm birth, my experience is to avoid induction. There are pros and cons to both methods though and, ultimately, you need to be happy with your choice.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now