Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to expect with induction

(8 Posts)
Pooshweens Mon 23-Oct-17 14:29:16

I'm being induced on Thursday as I'll be 41 + 5 with my second pregnancy

They said they'll just break my waters and think things will get going from that and it'll only take a few hours, but I've always thought inductions can take ages

I'm also wondering if it'll be very painful if it is very quick (definitely want an epidural so wondering at what point as I should ask for one as the hospital I'm using has a reputation for saying it's too late or there's no anaesthetist around!)

Has anyone got experience of this, especially with having waters broken as the first step?

Ohwell14 Mon 23-Oct-17 14:34:22

I wasn't in for an induction but they did have to break my waters. Didn't feel a thing, no pain just soaking wet. I had an epidural straight after they had done it as the contractions kicked in pretty quick (about 20mins after waters breaking) Epidural worked great until it came to pushing. Then I could pretty much feel it all

user1488622199 Mon 23-Oct-17 14:57:11

Not quite the same scenario as you as my waters were broken as part of my induction - i was 42+1 and had the pessary for 24 hours before waters were broken, then drip was put in 2 hours after that. From the point my waters were broken it was approx 7 hours until I delivered. The contractions were intense but as it was my first labour I have nothing to compare it to and I think more related to the drop rather than waters being broken. The actual breaking of the waters wasn’t painful, more surprising than anything! I did ask for an epidural and the midwife was supportive iirc but no anaesthetists available. If I was in the same situation again I would ask for an epidural earlier as I delivered far quicker than the midwife expected me to.

I read loads of awful stories about induction and was very upset going into the process and in the days after giving birth as it wasn’t what I wanted at all but looking back whilst it wasn’t the experience I would have chosen, it was very manageable and I don’t have any negative feelings about it now.

All the best for Thursday!

HamSandWitches Wed 25-Oct-17 00:17:26

I had an induction with Dc2, drip and waters broken. Lasted 4 hrs start to finish. DC 1 was 12hrs and dc3 was 13 hrs without being induced but they were both back to back. I found Dc2 birth much easier, everything was explained and I felt in control. I didn't have an epidural.

Pooshweens Wed 25-Oct-17 04:43:00

Thank you everyone! Feel better for hearing your experiences

Theworldisfullofidiots Wed 25-Oct-17 05:16:06

Mine was 15 years ago!
1 pessary. Walked around a lot. Another pessary walked around again! Went into labour. Drug free birth (yes I know!). Not much different to second birth really.
But I think experiences can vary widely and I was ready just needed something to push me over the edge.

sthitch Thu 26-Oct-17 12:35:37

Gel at 8am, waters broken at 8pm, drip went in at 3am- that was when I had my epidural (just before the drip) and then my DD was born at 3pm the next day. Had I not had the drip I planned to go au naturel (god knows how that would have turned out!) so don't know when I would have had the epidural but it's a good question as I'd like to know this for possible future labours! - there's no going back now I had that epidural, it was amazing!

MrsHass Thu 26-Oct-17 12:40:38

I was induced on a Friday afternoon. I had 2 pessarys, my waters broken and the drip. I gave birth on the Monday afternoon hmm
Forceps delivery for a back to back baby.

Good luck for tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now