Talk

Advanced search

Is a water birth possible if you are induced?

(20 Posts)
daisyrosie Tue 10-Oct-17 17:22:27

I’m 40+3 today and saw my Midwife today for my 40 week appointment. She attempted a stretch and sweep but this wasn’t successful as my cervix is still in a posterior position and she wasn’t able to reach it.

I’ll be going back next week for another one and to be booked for induction if nothing happens before then. I have cerebral palsy and have put in my birth plan that Id prefer a water birth if possible as this will allow me to get into better positions to progress labour, but will this be at all possible with induction and the additional monitoring this brings? My concern is I would be told to lie on my back to labour which feels like it would not help labour at all and would be difficult for me with my mobility issues, especially for a long period of time.

I’m also worried about the higher probability of intervention and c sections that induction has and the impact this would have on my recovery post birth.

Obviously I want the baby to be born safely and will do what I need to do to make sure this happens, but I need to be well enough to be able to look after him afterwards without having to rely heavily on family.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

FindTheLightSwitchDarren Tue 10-Oct-17 17:33:57

Hi op!

I was induced with dc1 and wanted a water birth. They said this was fine and would have allowed me to use it, but annoyingly I didn't progress quickly enough after the pessaries and they couldn't break my waters as they wanted to, so I needed to have the hormone drip. I don't think it would be practically possible to be in the water with a drip in too.

You still have some time though, so hopefully it won't get to induction stage. Will keep fingers crossed for you that the sweep(s) do the trick.

Creatureofthenight Tue 10-Oct-17 17:37:05

At my hospital they had one monitor that could be used in water, you could ask about that?

Lules Tue 10-Oct-17 17:45:29

My hospital had a high risk room with a pool and underwater monitoring but only the one so ofc it might be occupied. It wouldn't be possible with a drip.

moralberyll Tue 10-Oct-17 17:47:13

I would think it was unlikely. Almost certainly not with the drip.

Hairgician Tue 10-Oct-17 17:48:37

In my local hospital if induced with drip then pool is off the table.

Cakescakescakes Tue 10-Oct-17 17:48:37

Not in the hospital I delivered in as you need extra monitoring which wasn’t possible in water.

Lily2007 Tue 10-Oct-17 17:50:19

I wasn't allowed to have a water birth when induced.

SparklyMagpie Tue 10-Oct-17 17:52:10

I thought it wasn't allowed if induced? Sorry not much help

orangeowls Tue 10-Oct-17 17:52:51

I wasn’t allowed one with the induction hormone drip, not sure if you can with just the pessary.

StaySexyDontGetMurdered Tue 10-Oct-17 17:55:25

I think it totally depends how you progress.
I was induced with a pecessary and didn't take long to get going, as soon as they broke my waters I was in the water!
It's definitely a good way to give birth but try not to panic if you can't do it.
Induction doesn't equal laying on your back.

Ceebs85 Tue 10-Oct-17 18:05:00

I was induced a few weeks ago with the drip and wasnt allowed a water birth. I really struggled with being laid on my back and so they agreed to attach a monitor to baby's head instead so I was able to move around. Not sure if that would work for you xx

Tubbyinthehottub Tue 10-Oct-17 18:06:05

I had a water birth after being induced. If the pessary is enough to start labour and things are progressing it should be ok. Tell your midwife you’d like to try the pool if at all possible.

SleepingInYourFlowerbed Tue 10-Oct-17 18:12:19

I was going to be able to have one as I progressed well on just the pessary but then my waters went and had meconium in them so I had to be monitored on a bed unfortunately.

daisyrosie Tue 10-Oct-17 18:55:34

Thanks for all the replies. My Midwife is aware that I’d like to use the pool if possible, so that’s great that this is still an option with the pessary.

Even if I end up needing the drip, as long as I can be fairly upright and mobile I don’t mind not being in the water, it’s the thought of being told to be on my back that makes me anxious I really don’t want a c section if I can avoid it.

I’ll definitely ask about the monitoring options to see if I can remain mobile if it comes to needing an induction.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Tue 10-Oct-17 19:02:35

I was induced with pessaries and had a water birth with dc3. However it was made very clear that if progress slowed down that I would be straight out. Or any further monitoring that was required (I was induced at 39 weeks due to reduced movement). It really does depend on your labour once you get going. It's the only water birth I've had and it was lovely but no better in terms of pain management etc than previous labours. Best go in assuming you won't and don't get hung up on it as being your only means of success. Without sounding like a hippy (and I'm truly not) get in the right mindset before you go in and be open to anything. Or you'll freak out and things will be tougher than they should (bitter experience talking there)

Topsyloulou Tue 10-Oct-17 20:17:55

I think you need to check with your hospital on what they allow as it does seem to differ between hospitals. At our hospital you become consultant led as soon as you are induced even if your waters break naturally & you are progressing well. This means delivery suite rather than midwife led unit & constant monitoring. I was lucky enough to get the wireless monitors which was great as it meant I could still walk around, the only thing that helped my back to back contractions. Sadly once the battery died I had to go on the bed but I was sitting up rather than lying down. I ended up with an emcs but that was because DS was just physically too big to come out any other way & I had an infection. The recovery wasn't too bad. I was out shopping a week after birth & we went to a christening when he was 10 days old.

asongforthelovers Tue 10-Oct-17 20:20:14

I was induced and had one running in midwifery suite but had to get moved to labour suite to be monitored.

Similar situation with 2nd induction as well.

asongforthelovers Tue 10-Oct-17 20:20:43

I had the pessary *

GrumpySusan Thu 12-Oct-17 11:01:05

I was induced and wanted a water birth. The MW looking after me said I could get in if I wanted but she'd prefer to monitor the baby. DH was a bit anxious about it so I stayed out and was monitored (and later had the drip too).
I wanted to have a 'mobile' labour and keep moving- I ended up on a bed but if it's any consolation I was sat upright and could get up if I wanted to (I remember going for a wee at one point).
Hope labour happens naturally for you OP & good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now