Talk

Advanced search

Postpartum bleeding after exercise

(8 Posts)
BloodyWorried Sun 08-Oct-17 08:41:35

So as the title suggests I'm not sure what is normal and would like some advice / guidance please. Baby is now 6 weeks old, born via planned section and I'm healing really well. Felt fine from 2 weeks, very little/light lochia which stopped after a week, and first period came at 4 weeks. Period was very heavy and lasted 9 days; but 14 days after the start of my first period I'm bleeding again. However, I did my first workout (just stretches and squats - no high intensity or running) yesterday, and bleeding started almost immediately after. Could something be internally "wrong" or could this be a period again? Is there any way of establishing a difference?

HashtagTired Sun 08-Oct-17 08:44:15

Speak to your HV or GP.

Has your GP given you the all clear to exercise?

ommmward Sun 08-Oct-17 08:46:20

Postpartum bleeding is a really good way of telling you you are doing too much... For me, after the initial week or so, it was always absolutely correlated with whether i was sitting/lying quietly, or running around.

Give yourself six weeks ish after the birth to rest and recover, especially since you have had major abdominal surgery!

eurochick Sun 08-Oct-17 09:16:35

I think you are doing too much. I was signed off to exercise 7 weeks after my section but told no ab exercises for at least 12 weeks. However when I tried running it felt "wrong" so I decided to leave it longer.

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Sun 08-Oct-17 09:19:35

6 weeks for a normal birth is ok for exercise. 6 weeks post c section exercise is silly. You've had a major abdominal surgery, the bleeding is telling you to take it easy before you do some real damage.

BertrandRussell Sun 08-Oct-17 09:22:32

I always thought that if you did something that increased the bleeding post partum you should stop.

Did the bleeding stop/slow down when you stopped exercising, OP?

BloodyWorried Sun 08-Oct-17 09:54:58

Doctor has signed me off to exercise, and I took it easy - it was purely stretches and breathing (no resistance what so ever and a very few squats). Bleeding started half an hour after exercise, and hasn't stopped since.

Mustbeinsane1984 Mon 09-Oct-17 00:07:00

I had text book birth and felt amazing afterwards. Was signed off to light exercise after 6 weeks and 10 mins after doing some basic stretching I had a massive haemorrige. Ended up back in hospital. 3 months on now I am finally back at the gym. Take it easy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now