Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Meeting with consultant and c-section request

(9 Posts)
StarStruK Thu 05-Oct-17 14:15:23

I have my first meeting with a consultant in a couple of weeks following the 20 week scan. I had many complications giving birth to my daughter nearly 2 years ago and I'm just not sure what to expect. My previous birth ended with forceps, bladder damage, a 3c tear and two blood transfusions following a pph (and suffering ptsd and ongoing anxiety as a result)I think the hemorrhage is why a consultant is monitoring my pregnancy and the meeting is to discuss the birth (I'm having the normal appointments with the midwife). I've requested a c-section and I'm assuming they will tell me whether or not I can have it? Do I need to go in to this meeting prepared to fight for a c-section and if so, what can I do to prepare? Thanks for any advice!

SurfingKitten Thu 05-Oct-17 14:19:15

I would go in prepared to fight. You might be told you will be referred to a birth options clinic before an appointment will be made. This is quite normal, although annoying if you know you won't be changing your mind.

My advice would be to make a list as you have here and keep repeating what happened last time and how you have researched the risks and would like an ELCS this time. Also ask for your notes to say you will have an EMCS if you go into labour before your appointment. If possible, take somebody else in with you who can be politely assertive to make it quite clear what you want.

Good luck and hopefully you will find it much easier than it can be, but best to be prepared for a fight.

Topsyloulou Thu 05-Oct-17 17:57:55

Just to manage expectations they might gloss over delivery options with you at this appointment. I had an appointment at 15 weeks with the consultant & it was a brief chat around what happened last time & why I was consultant led. He asked if I'd thought about delivery, I stated I wanted elcs & he said that the decision wouldn't be made yet but could see I had a good case for one but wanted to know whether I would consider vbac this time before referring me to the vbac clinic. The midwife there was lovely & in agreement with my mw that I should get elcs no problem but where we are they don't make a final decision until 36 weeks & you get given your date at the same time.

Vonklump Thu 05-Oct-17 18:02:18

I would be surprised if you get a fight. Good luck.

NewspaperClippings Thu 05-Oct-17 18:09:13

I had a similarly bad first birth - forceps, tear, prolapse. At my 20 week appt with my second the obstetrician told me their policy was to do a c-section in these cases to avoid further trauma (physical and mental). So I think it very much depends on the trust but I was surprised I didn't have to fight as such. Good luck to you - it's an anxious time before you know what the plan is.

StarStruK Thu 05-Oct-17 21:13:54

Thank you for the replies. It's definitely the not knowing that is making me nervous. I have heard other people say that a decision on c-sections isn't made until much later in pregnancy and that makes me very anxious sad

Rockandrollwithit Thu 05-Oct-17 21:27:12

I had a very very similar first birth, down to the blood transfusions and bladder damage. I knew I wanted a section from the moment I was pregnant with DC2.

I didn't have a consultant appt until 34 weeks. We discussed previous birth, the doctor said that there was no reason to think that a second birth would be anything other than straightforward but that I could have a section if I requested it due to trauma/anxiety. He went through the procedure and the pros / cons of each birthing method and advised me to think carefully about the balance of my physical and mental health. I was then sent away to think about it for 2 weeks before going back to them with a decision.

I went for the section and didn't have to fight at all. Both doctors were very understanding and clued up on mental health. The section itself was great, very calm and I felt in control.

I'm now almost 4 weeks post section and although it has hurt, the recovery has been so much better than last time. I have no regrets!

ohnowhatcanido Thu 05-Oct-17 22:37:17

I had a similar situation with the birth of my DS. They told me days after he was born that if I ever wanted another I would be automatically allowed a section.

I asked my midwife at my booking in appointment she said it would likely be fine. Met with the consultant at 16 weeks so was brilliant. She said that a second birth would like be straightforward etc but that she would sign off on a section no questions asked if that's what I wanted. She said the decision didnt need to be made until.she saw me again at 32 weeks. I am now 28 weeks and feel confident that when I next see her and confirm it is what I want, she will continue to support me.

It definitely depends on your trust. Which one are you with?

TynesideBlonde Thu 05-Oct-17 22:54:37

Every trust is different however I sincerely doubt you will have a fight. I would possibility open by making your stance clear 'Pleased to meet you, you'll see from my notes how traumatic my last labour, birth, post natal experience was, in so glad that o have have maternal choice, and am able to request a section' type comment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: