Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

After birth issues

(9 Posts)
sthitch Sat 30-Sep-17 21:59:22

I gave birth 17 days ago and I'm still having some issues down below. My bleeding seems to have increased the last day or two and I'm pretty sure I've got thrush- I've used wipes because of the bleeding/being on iron tablets have made it harder to go to the loo. I went to the doctors and was prescribed thrush cream yesterday but this hasn't helped so far- he didn't examine me or do a swab but said to try it and go back if it doesn't work. Do I need to buy a pill to treat the thrush as this cream hasn't helped at all so far? Also, should I be bleeding as much 17 days in? It's more like a really heavy period bleed now.

It's all really getting me down, I'm fed up of being itchy and sore and the constant bleeding!

user1499786242 Sat 30-Sep-17 22:05:31

Don't use ANYTHING apart from water down there! Honestly that's all you need to be clean!
If the cream doesn't work then go back and demand a thrush swab...
Hope you feel better soon
And congratulations xx

manglethedangle Sun 01-Oct-17 06:29:50

I'm not sure what demanding a thrush swab will do except make you wait 5 days before Dr will tell you what you already know. The cream can take several days to work, the pill is much quicker, just buy it over the counter, it's about £4. If it's. It stopped 48 hrs after taking it, then ask for a swab.

Unless you had episiotomy or tearing, then itching could be a sign of infection.

The bleeding can last up to 6 weeks, occasionally longer. It'll be heavier the more you do and more active you are. Some people bleed heavily, some light, some for week, some only for days. Seek help if it lasts more than 6 weeks, you pass large clots, it's very painful, or it smells bad (worse than normal).

Kittymum03 Sun 01-Oct-17 06:44:02

OP I was told if the blood smells like your normal period blood, then it's probably not an infection. I bled for ages after my Second. For me, having to wear pads constantly irritated the hell out of me down there as well (had to wear them though due to incontinence & bleeding)
I did have thrush but I also had BV (I was fobbed off with a phone call from the drs & told it was thrush, I went & saw the nurse & she did the swab instantly)

I would see if you can see a nurse at the drs? Just for your own peace of mind so somebody has 'had a look' down there.

Im only going on my own personal looong experience. My nurse is my angel who fixed everything down there grin Hope you feel better soon flowers

Loraline Sun 01-Oct-17 06:59:00

Are you breastfeeding? In those early days if my baby fed a lot it would increase bleeding which is normal.

sthitch Mon 02-Oct-17 22:45:09

I'm bottle feeding - I went back today as wasn't feeling any better- this time they swabbed me and also sent off a urine sample as it was showing 'borderline'? Whatever that means? I'm hoping to start to feel better soon!

Kittymum03 Fri 06-Oct-17 21:42:32

Hope you are feeling better OP flowers

sthitch Sat 07-Oct-17 17:13:52

Thank you for asking smile the bleeding has stopped thankfully! My results took 5 days and showed high white blood cells so now have to repeat so looking at another week! He said it might be a urine infection but to retake as it may have developed more in the week. I still feel itchy and sore and I don't get it as the swab was clear, they suggested antihistamines but they haven't worked.

All fun and games when trying to look after a newborn!!

Kittymum03 Sat 07-Oct-17 17:54:58

Oh well that's frustrating for you then, another week is ages! Mine was back & forwards a fair bit, UTI''s etc. When it finally got sorted it was like 'Aah, that's better' grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now