Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Wwyd... planned section or induction?

(40 Posts)
Witsender Mon 25-Sep-17 20:57:03

Back story is I had strep B earlier in pregnancy so will need intravenous antibiotics in labour, ideally for at least 2 hrs before a vaginal birth occurs.

However this is longer than my entire labour with #2, who took less than 1.5 hrs from.first contraction to placenta delivery.

He was also quite a big chap at 9lbs 11oz, and caused a severe 3rd degree tear and a 2.5litre blood loss.

All of these factors combined mean I am having consultant led care, and she wants me to have an induction at 40 wks. She feels this mitigates the risk of a mega speedy birth which could A) cause repeat damage and blood loss and B) mean i don't get the antibiotics.

However, given #2 was also quite big, she has booked me to be scanned at 38 wks to ensure this one isn't any bigger, and if he is then is suggesting a section.

No ironically #1 was small for her gestational age, and as such I have been having growth scans every 3 wks since about 20 wks. This one has a tummy that is off the centiles, and looks to be around 80th centile projected size at the moment. This has gone up from about the 50th last scan. Estimated weight at 34wks was 6lb4oz, but could be a pound either way apparently.

So #3 looks to be a decent size. I can't decide whether I prefer the idea of a section or an induction. Both pose different risks, and I can't decide how I feel about it.

What would you do if you were me?! Or any CS/induction stories or comparisons for me?

sunseptember Thu 28-Sep-17 20:06:13

If you have help with baby when born as in proper support then without a doubt a section, when you say risks do you mean general risks or due to your personal issues risks increased?

Witsender Thu 28-Sep-17 20:59:01

I mean general risks I guess. I feel that a section is more predictable at the time, but then the recovery is unpredictable. Whereas an induction is unpredictable throughout I guess. It could go swimmingly and be followed by a nice easy recovery, whereas a section has a level of damage inherent.

I don't know if I'm making any sense. 😂

My husband won't have long off, his employer has said he'll be flexible but obviously that impacts money wise. My parents are nearby and supportive, but I would rather not be waited on... I have two other kids of 7 and 5 who are great, but as they are home educated they don't school meaning they are around and needing looking after/entertaining. My parents would do this to a degree I'm sure, as would my best friend when my husband can't.

I just really really hate needing help and having to rely on others, so the whole thing has me really nervous.

sunseptember Thu 28-Sep-17 21:52:07

It's rare for a planned ELC to go wrong, I think it might be tough with two dc at home however I assume they don't want picking up and won't jump on you...

I mean help more as in, do your washing for a week, keep house ok.. No heavy lifting just for two weeks so you can heal. If you air scar every day, don't push yourself, don't lift anything heavy for two weeks you will be fine.

CaptWentworth Thu 28-Sep-17 21:58:26

My baby had group B strep sepsis and pneumonia at birth, after failed induction, ending in EMCS. I think all the invasive examinations, sweeps, water breaking etc. introduced the infection. Induction was awful, never again. I'd now only consider a planned section if I was overdue.

Witsender Fri 29-Sep-17 18:34:07

We have just worked out that between a week's holiday and careful use of a week unpaid DH should, fingers crossed be able to get a fortnight off after. Which makes me feel much better and much more keen on the idea of a section.

Lules Fri 29-Sep-17 18:42:48

I had an ELCS last week. I had a pretty awful EMCS last time but this time has been great. I wasn't exhausted by the time I gave birth. I left hospital the day after and recovery is going really well. I have a toddler too so it's going to be tricky when my husband goes back to work but that won't be a problem if your children are slightly older.

Slartybartfast Fri 29-Sep-17 18:53:47

I have had both, the thing with the induction is you still dont know how long it will take after being induced. my induction ended with forceps.
the problem with a c section is obviously after effects, stomach pain, inability to drive for 6 weeks.

VanellopeVonSchweetz99 Fri 29-Sep-17 19:01:28

Planned section any day (had two, very positive experiences, minimal blood loss and was on paracetamol only after one day and going home). Far too many inductions statistically end up with emergency cs for my liking.

Ttbb Fri 29-Sep-17 19:02:12

Can't they give you the IV two hours before starting the induction?

calamityjam Fri 29-Sep-17 19:16:29

I've had 3 ELCS and no problems at all with recovery. I was out the next day with all 3 and only on paracetamol after 24 hours. My dp returned to work after 48 hours as he was self employed and I was a full time stay at home parent. After dc4 I had 3 dcs and dsd along with the newborn to take care of. I couldn't drive so I also had to do the school run to 2 primary schools on the bus. My point is I managed fine, no pain and I had the same recovery as if I had given birth vaginally each time.

Witsender Fri 29-Sep-17 19:17:40

I can have the induction at the same time as the antibiotics, they're not too concerned about that.

Similarly, I may not even need antibiotics if I have a section as the risk comes from a vaginal birth.

ashley65 Fri 29-Sep-17 22:20:22

It's serious case. I will suggest you c-section. I had the same case. My baby was big as compared to my health and body. Doctors first make a try for vaginal birth. But I hardly dilated to 2cm after 5 hours labour pain. It was risky to continue it. If you will go for vaginal birth, it may be risky for both of you and your child. C-section is not too much risky. You will hardly come across any pain. Only stitches will hurt you after birth. But if you will take care of your self for one week, you will hardly feel the pain of stitches. You will need help of someone for the one or two weeks until you will be able to walk. I recovered after two and half week.

fatfingeredfran Sat 30-Sep-17 18:50:59

Planned section every time! I had one recently and it was amazing, recovery has been so quick as well. Wouldn't give birth any other way tbh!

Witsender Sat 30-Sep-17 22:03:42

I'm erring that way. Just for a wee bit more predictability tbh.

If I thought they would let me try the initial stages of induction and see whether they kick started anything, but say no to a drip etc and go for a section instead I'd be more tempted to try. But I don't like the thought of having to do battle.

How has everyone's recovery bee

Witsender Sat 30-Sep-17 22:03:56


fatfingeredfran Sat 30-Sep-17 22:38:30

I won't lie the first 3 days were extremely hard as it hurt to pick up the baby, hurt to walk, hurt to get out of bed etc. Just keep in mind that it will soon pass, I promise it will get heaps easier really quickly. Just try to sleep as much as possible, eat well and let your partner do everything for you for those first days. Do not try to help. Do not try to do things!

By 2 weeks I was doing light housework, short walks with the pram and had been out for lunch twice. By 3 weeks I was driving. By 4 weeks I was going for reasonably long walks e.g. 6,000 steps, and felt totally recovered.

The worst part of the first few days was the constipation. If I have another baby I will take stool softener for a few days before the c section, and will take a laxative a day or so after the op to get everything moving again.

Witsender Tue 10-Oct-17 12:50:46

Well, baby is currently 8lb5oz approx with 2 wks to go. Consultant feels he is likely to be on the border of being too big at 40 wks.

She has suggested an induction at 39 wks so he is smaller. A closely managed one, in the labour ward with a senior midwife to try to make sure the same damage isn't repeated if I have a quick labour. She feels that the speedy labour I had with #2 may well mean a speedy response to induction.

However she has said if I am anxious then she will book me for a CS the same week. So either way looking like next week.

Has given me more time to think about it, and will go to day assesment unit on Fri to talk it through again, or can call to let them know my decision.

Aaaaargh! A decision to make!

Tigerpig Tue 10-Oct-17 15:18:31


I’ve been lurking on your thread as I think I will have a similar decision to make when I get further along.

No advice as I haven’t had a section but did have similar issues to you (big baby of 9lb 12oz , 2.5lt PPH and sepsis but no tear)

I’m nervous about a repeat, midwife seems to think it would be better this time, would be closely managed etc. Waiting to meet consultant before making a decision. Still in the frame of mind that one minute I’m panicking and the next I’m more relaxed.

It sounds like your labour would be doable at 39 week’s especially as your body has done it before.

Good luck and let us know what you decide smile

MyOtherProfile Tue 10-Oct-17 15:20:00

I was induced with my first. Never again. So so painful and enxed in a section anyway as it just wasn't working. I was told I'd need to be induced with my second as she was overdue but I opted for a section instead.

MyOtherProfile Tue 10-Oct-17 15:20:53

Should add my second section was so much smoother and easier to recover from because I hadn't been labouring fruitlessly thanks to the induction drugs for hours fiest.

NameChange30 Tue 10-Oct-17 15:25:32

In your situation I wouldn't hesitate: ELCS without a doubt. My reasoning is the previous 3rd degree tear and the strep B. Too much potential for an induction to go wrong for you and baby.

I say this as someone who wanted a water birth with as few interventions as possible!! (I didn't get my water birth but that's another story).

NameChange30 Tue 10-Oct-17 15:27:34

Are you not in the UK btw? As your husband should be entitled to 2 weeks paid paternity leave, unless it's a new job?

Witsender Tue 10-Oct-17 15:50:14

It's a new job smile, his boss is being really flexible and just said he can do what he needs, which is great.

I'm so easily swayed, I just don't know! I'm worried about going through the torture of an induction and ending up with a CS anyway, but she said the risk was only 25%. But it seems extreme to push for a section when I may not need much help and labour quickly. But then the induction would be on the labour ward, and be heavily managed so that's reassuring but at the same time worrying because as she put it, I would be 'strapped down', which isn't appealing!

MyOtherProfile Tue 10-Oct-17 15:57:21

25% is quite high.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: