Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Discharge from hospital

(8 Posts)
bluesky45 Sun 24-Sep-17 16:59:23

Does anyone know how long the paperwork takes to be discharged from hospital with new baby? My paperwork is apparently being done now but we have been waiting for discharge since 9am after a week spent in hospital and I am going completely stir crazy. All not helped by the fact we are in isolation as ds is an infection risk so I haven't left the room since Wednesday!

DuggeeHugs Sun 24-Sep-17 17:58:11

I don't think the paperwork itself takes that long - it seems to be getting the test results back, checked and then any medication prescribed. As well as midwives/doctors not being called away part way through.

I remember the stir crazy feeling from waiting all day with DC1 after 8 days in hospital. Hopefully you're nearly there though and it will feel so good once you're home. Congratulations on your new baby flowers

babynelly2010 Sun 24-Sep-17 18:27:57

I think it depends how busy there are and they have pressure to get your bed. If they are busy but not full it may take a while. With my ds it took a long time to get discharged. First they took forever then they found a problem and could not let us go until further testing was done. We were told we should be out early am but left at late afternoon.

ToadsforJustice Sun 24-Sep-17 18:36:33

If you are not already home, I would just gather your things and walk out. You are not a prisoner.

fatfingeredfran Sun 24-Sep-17 19:59:14

I was in same position - finally got discharged at 9pm. Took fucking ages. angry

RealMidwife Thu 09-Nov-17 19:07:30

It takes about 20 minutes... assuming we don't get interrupted by anything at all (we absolutely certainly will, dozens of times).

Battenburg1978 Fri 10-Nov-17 07:04:32

Mine toon from 9am when we got the ok from test results until 6pm when I finally got discharged!! Hope you're home now flowers

knottybeams Fri 10-Nov-17 17:17:15

Took them all day with DD. Then they tried to blame the doctor for not doing my prescription, but I'd already been given my copy of that. Had to threaten to walk out to get anything done. They even tried to stall by insisting I have a member of staff walk me out. I was a member of staff in that hospital. Have been assured I won't go to the same pn ward this time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: