Talk

Advanced search

18 month old (a boisterous little boy!) and potential c-section in 4 weeks

(6 Posts)
LoveIsPatient Thu 21-Sep-17 14:16:14

At my 34 week appointment last week I was told my DD1 is breech. (i had DS1 vaginally with forceps.) I really can't tell if she's turned but I will know at my 37 week app in 2 weeks time. I'm a bit dubious about an ECV to try and turn her, so it looks like a c-section is on the cards.

DH's work are very flexible and my mum can stay a bit after the surgery, however looking after my 18 month old will be very tough as I won't be able to lift him/manhandle him etc.

Has anyone been in a similar situation with c-section recovery? If so, how practically did you cope with a toddler?

LastOneDancing Thu 21-Sep-17 14:23:35

I had an ELCS with a nearly 2 year old.
It was fine - it was emotinally a bit tough not being able to squish and tickle my toddler for a week or so, but IIRC I was picking him up (reeeeeaaaly gently) by about 5 days.

DH stepped up to do most of the donkey work - I think bath time was the only bit where I struggled for a while, the up and over with a slippery child. TBH you're not as available as usual anyway because you've hot a baby stuck to you most of the time!

But honestly it wasn't as bad as I anticipated.

outnumbered4 Thu 21-Sep-17 14:30:36

I'm having my 5th section next week, closest age gap I've got was 15 months between my 2nd and 3rd and it was fine. Just sit down and let them climb up for cuddles so you aren't lifting them at first and take all the help you can get in those first couple of weeks. I also built steps out of things to let him climb up next to his cot so I could get him in easier instead of bending down and lifting him. Obviously took the steps away once he was in! You quickly find ways to get things done. Good luck!

DuggeeHugs Fri 22-Sep-17 04:13:14

I had an ELCS in July with nearly 2 year old DS at home. Planning was key: as PP said, finding ways he could climb in and out of the bath/his dinner chair/car seat safely. Figuring out beforehand what I wouldn't be able to do easily and making a list so DH and I could plan how best to use his time and the help on offer.

The worst part was DS not being old enough to understand why I couldn't do everything as normal, but we got through that relatively quickly.

It is doable, you just need to plan and be creative smile

LoveIsPatient Fri 22-Sep-17 21:30:27

Thank you so much all of you! This has been very helpful and reassuring smile

Salva91 Sat 23-Sep-17 11:49:16

I had c-section with my first child. For the two weeks I even couldn't lift her up. The stitches pain was so bad. I hardly feed her. Mostly I used to feed her in uncomfortable position. Another issue was the strange cough. In my life, I hardly remember of having cough. I really never suffered in it. But after pregnancy, it was so hard that I used to drink 3-4 bottles of water daily to overcome it. I was fear of my stitches due to cough. I don't know why it happens to everyone who goes through c-section. If I were not afraid of labor pain in vaginal birth, I never preferred a c-section again. It took two months to recover me completely. Now all is well and I'm ready for second toddler.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now