Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Only 5 Months and planning hospital bag. What to pack???

(33 Posts)
MummyMiddleton Sun 02-Jul-17 15:45:28

My first baby, Daniel, is due November 10th. I have never helped anyone else with their hospital bag before, neither has DH. Neither of us have never even been to a birth. I am going to pack my hospital bag in October but I would like to write down all the things I will need to buy so there will be minimal stress at the time.

So far my list consists of:

2 cheap night shirts
Slippers
Coming home outfit for me
Maternity pads (basically giant sanitary towels that are more like nappies)
Mints
Camera
Smallest size nappies
Wetwipes
Coming home outfit for Daniel
2 baby blankets
2 baby hats
2 pairs of baby socks
2 babygrows
Water bottle
Purse
Newborn dummies
Baby lotion
Sudocrem
Other snacks for me and DH (fave chocolate, sweets and crackers)

Wait4nothing Sun 02-Jul-17 15:51:59

Underwear for yourself - large black pants and soft maternity bras (I got medium sized ones so I wasn't wasting money on the wrong size)
Ditch the baby socks (nightmare for coming off) most babygrows have feet and increase the number of these quite a bit (we took about 8 and I was on the last one as I went home the next day (so baby was in hospital less than 24 hours) but also include vests (the ones with poppers) - if you can get sleepsuit she with built in scratchmitts even better (again scratch mits come off)

Wait4nothing Sun 02-Jul-17 15:57:56

Oh definitely snacks - a mix of sweet and savoury in case you miss any meals
I wouldn't pack the baby lotion - they recommend not using anything other than water initially - though a midwife did recommend sudocrem on very dry feet (though our dd was a bit older)
Maybe some pj bottoms/joggers for you as you need to get on and off bed etc after birth and you may feel a little exposed in just a nightshirt if other peoples visitors are around
Deodorant/shower stuff for you (I packed a few of the mini ones)
My dh packed a change of t-shirt and as I laboured through the night he was happy to freshen up the next morning
Muslins are useful for a whole host of reasons (light blanket, protecting clothes from vomit, makeshift change mat, cloth)

RibenaMonsoon Sun 02-Jul-17 16:01:15

On top of what others have said, drinks and snacks for you and DH. Also I found energy tablets to be very handy. So did DH lol.

Phone charger as well.

MummyMiddleton Sun 02-Jul-17 16:11:08

I have added:

5 muslin cloths
5 more babygrows
6 baby vests
Phone and tablet chargers
More food
Energy bars

For snacks we want to take Pink Panther Wafers, Jaffa Cakes, Pringles and Cream Crackers

Lj8893 Sun 02-Jul-17 16:15:44

I wouldn't bother with the wet wipes for a newborn. Cotton wool is much kinder. Baby lotion isn't needed either.

Are you planning to breastfeed? If so I would say try not to use dummies as it can confuse babies trying to bf.

If you are planning to formula feed then you will need to pack bottles and formula, the ready made stuff is handy for the first couple of days.

Lj8893 Sun 02-Jul-17 16:16:40

Lip balm will be a godsend in labour!

MummyMiddleton Sun 02-Jul-17 16:21:33

@Lj8893

I am planning to breastfeed smile
The reason we want dummies is to keep him happy in between feeds.
Im worried if he doesnt have a dummy he will cry as soon as I take him off the breast. Imagine if you were eating something delicious and someone just took it away. It would suck.
Do you have any other ideas for keeping Daniel content between feeds?

MummyMiddleton Sun 02-Jul-17 16:22:06

Added lip balm to the list grin

Lj8893 Sun 02-Jul-17 16:25:46

I'm a student midwife, a dummy is fine for once you have bf established but it can really hinder bf in the early days. I honestly wouldn't bother packing one. He will probably want to feed lots initially and it will feel like he isn't settling between feeds but that's really normal, a dummy won't help that. smile

Lj8893 Sun 02-Jul-17 16:26:21

And don't take him of the breast, he will take himself off when he's had enough.

Pringlemunchers Sun 02-Jul-17 16:27:49

A few quid in change ( about twenty pounds ). So that you have it for parking, vending machines etc. Earplugs ( maybe you will need a sleep , after baby is born and partner can wake you if required ).

Hobbitch Sun 02-Jul-17 16:29:48

Take Lansinoh or another type of nipple cream. My nipple cracked during my son's very first feed and I was in agony at every (very frequent) feed that followed until my husband could nip out and get me something to put on it!

gothicsprout Sun 02-Jul-17 16:29:59

Cuddle him?

When they're tiny if they're not feeding they're probably sleeping. You don't take them off the breast, you let them come off themselves when they're finished - then you get the very sweet 'milk drunk' look.

Lj8893 Sun 02-Jul-17 16:32:08

Hair ties (if you have long hair). Especially when you are in labour, you will want your hair out of your way.

torthecatlady Sun 02-Jul-17 16:33:57

Toothbrush and toothpaste!
Bottle of water / sugary drink.

EnglandKeepMyBones Sun 02-Jul-17 16:34:04

If you are planning to breastfeed, drop the dummies. Baby will feed almost constantly, and that is normal and supposed to happen in order to establish a good supply.

Also take lansinoh. Or at least have some at home, it will save your boobs.

MummyMiddleton Sun 02-Jul-17 16:36:44

Of course we will all cuddle him. He will be spoiled with hugs and kisses and snuggles. I just presumed he wouldn't stop breastfeeding by himself, which is silly of me because he must get full up at some point. No one can eat forever. Hopefully he will sleep well.
After a feed if I am feeling tired, DH can take him so I can sleep until he is hungry again. Although, I think I will be much too excited to sleep.

When is a good time to introduce a dummy?

Lj8893 Sun 02-Jul-17 16:38:08

Having just finally managed to persuade my 3yo to give up the dummy and still having an arguement about them every day......I wish I had never introduced a dummy! So my personal answer would be never. grin

bluechameleon Sun 02-Jul-17 16:38:47

Squash. Makes the warm water more tolerable. And take clothes in more than one size - mine was huge and needed 0-3 straight away.

MummyMiddleton Sun 02-Jul-17 16:39:47

I have added hair ties and toothbrushes/toothpaste for me and DH
Wont the hospital give you water?

MummyMiddleton Sun 02-Jul-17 16:41:05

Thanks x I will get him a couple of things in a larger size too x Should I get larger nappies as well? We have Pampers Newborn Size 1 atm

justanotheryoungmother Sun 02-Jul-17 17:01:24

I say this on all of these threads; a hand held fan. It doesn't matter that it's winter, the odds are the ward will be hot. I couldn't sleep because of the heat and the pain.

Congratulations grinflowers

MummyMiddleton Sun 02-Jul-17 17:02:33

justanotheryoungmother

Thanks x Will buy one x

EnglandKeepMyBones Sun 02-Jul-17 17:34:24

DH froze some half full water bottles a month or so in advance, and then grabbed them as we were on our way out the door. He then topped them up as required at the hospital so I had access to cold water - maternity units are always stupidly hot.

In terms of a dummy, advice is around 6-8 weeks once your supply has been well established. By that point we decided we didn't need one with DD2 (I FF DD1 from 4 weeks ish so she had one from then).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now