Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

How soon after csection...

(31 Posts)
steph0488 Thu 15-Jun-17 21:56:37

How soon after csection did you ttc and Fall pregnant? - did your doctors recommend a specific waiting time between csections? Did you find that having a csection had an effect on how long it took to conceive baby number 2? Did you have an elective csection second time around - sorry for all the questions. Sorry for the bombarding you with so many questions we are thinking of trying to conceive again in the next few months after having a csection earlier this year- unfortunately I lost my daughter during labour so looking for some hopeful stories from others xx

sunshineintheclouds Thu 15-Jun-17 22:01:02

My sister has now had three dc by c section.
First was emergency section
Second was 10 months after first planned section
Third 2 years later planned section

:-)

ThanksMsMay Thu 15-Jun-17 22:02:36

I'm so sorry op, no helpful suggestions but flowers Have you spoken to your doctor?

booellesmum Thu 15-Jun-17 22:03:25

I have no advice but just wanted to say so sorry for your loss.

IrnBrufan Thu 15-Jun-17 22:04:11

I had second baby by section 21 months after first section
Increased risk in VBAC because of timescales between babies but I still could have chosen to have the baby either way. I chose another section because of risk of rupture and limited delivery options for VBAC due to increased monitoring

IrnBrufan Thu 15-Jun-17 22:05:00

Sorry to hear of your loss, must be such a difficult time!!! Xx

MunchyMunchkin Thu 15-Jun-17 22:05:02

The recommendation when I worked in obstetrics was that a years interval between births is a minimum.

steph0488 Thu 15-Jun-17 22:21:18

Thanks, I have spoken to my dr the consultant told me that I can try anytime as long as 12 months between surgeries but my gp said that she recommends 12-18 months before trying again. My csection was due to foetal distress after a long labour but sadly they couldn't resuscitate her once she was born - thanks for all your messages of support flowers

steph0488 Thu 15-Jun-17 22:22:38

I'm confused because the advice I've received is so different and it's hard to know which is more accurate or up to date?

toffeeboffin Thu 15-Jun-17 22:24:17

DD and DS were both born via c section three years apart.

toffeeboffin Thu 15-Jun-17 22:25:00

Massive hugs at such a difficult time steph xx

mammaofjoelandunbornboy Thu 15-Jun-17 22:54:53

Omg so sorry for your loss first of all. Im having 2nd child any day now after emcs 1st time round and he is 2.5yrs old now. However i did some research before getting pregnant again and read 18 months is approx suggested timescale so i think your gp was right xx

steph0488 Thu 15-Jun-17 23:05:41

Thankyou x
Are you having a repeat c-section? Due to my last birth I would never consider a vbac and wonder if this has an impact on waiting time and also how easy it is to request a repeat c-section rather than attempt a vbac x

MunchyMunchkin Fri 16-Jun-17 08:54:24

Steph - no one will refuse you a repeat section given the circumstances. Sorry for your loss.

Southy84 Fri 16-Jun-17 11:03:43

I'm so sorry for your loss steph x

I had a emergency csection April 2016, came off birth control in February and fell pregnant straight away although had a very very early mc (chemical pregnancy) but fell pregnant again in march, I was told by a consultant the day after giving birth by emergencycs that they recommend waiting a year before getting pregnant again, I didn't expect it to happen so quickly after struggling to get pregnant for a few years so thought I would just see what happens, so I was just under their year recommendation.

When I had my booking in appointment with my midwife she didn't seem concerned about the gap, she did however say that she would be referring me to a consultant which I think is pretty standard if you've had a previous cs, she did say that as it hasn't been a long time since I had dd it may be suggested to have another csection, I haven't had my appointment yet but I'm happy to come back and update when I have (not sure when that will be) I'm on the fence whether to ask for a elective csection this time rather than risk another emergency one. Also agree with munchy that they won't refuse you a csection after what has happened to you.

I have a friend who fell pregnant almost straight after her second dd (she'd already had 2 cs) this was a number of years ago now, and she was absolutely fine, baby was a bit of a surprise, they did keep a close eye on her but they never said that they were concerned, she then went on to have a third cs.

How was your healing after your cs? Did you have any complications?

steph0488 Fri 16-Jun-17 11:25:49

Congratulations on your new pregnancy!
That would be great if you could update me after your appointment. It's nice to know you didn't have trouble conceiving- I've read that sometimes a csection can affect fertility?

I didn't have any complications other that because I had a crash section I had to have a general anaesthetic and very quick procedure so took me a little longer to get in and moving at first. It's so hard when all the advice is different from different doctors.

I'm glad you both think I would be allowed another csection, one of my big worries is that doctors will say that now and then if I actually fall pregnant they will say I have to attempt vbac and after my last labour I don't think I could cope with that stress

Baconandcabbage Fri 16-Jun-17 11:35:29

Sorry for your loss. I've had 3 sections in less than 3 years. First was an emergency, second was elective 14 months later (dd1 breech) third was elective 18 months later. I asked plenty of clinicians what there advice was on how long to wait before ttc, it ranged from 6 - 18 months. I went with the answer I wanted to hear smile All good.

Southy84 Fri 16-Jun-17 20:15:11

Thank you, I didn't realise that about fertility after a csection. I think if you didn't have any problems i.e. Infection after your csection then I wouldn't be as cautious to wait as long. I don't want to say ignore the advice but I know how I felt about waiting any longer than we did, and I can't even imagine how you must be feeling. From what Ive read there can be risks after a caesarean no matter how long you wait to get pregnant again, and only you can decide what is right for you. It does seem strange that your dr gave different advice, I would say as your consultant would be more experienced in childbirth and would have experience in repeat sections etc I would take their word over the gp, and my consultant gave the same advice as yours to wait 12 months.

I will of course come back and let you know what the consultant says when I have seen them too. I think when the times comes for the conversation I would write everything down and print out your NHS trusts policy on elective caesarean and take it with you to your appointment, so you then have everything there in front of you, but I genuinely don't think you will even need to do that, I honestly think they will agree to it straight away x

EdgarAllenPoe Sun 18-Jun-17 16:04:56

Sorry for your loss.

I think the standard advice is wait 12 months. So I did, came off the pill, pregnant first month of trying (22 month gap). So no, I don't think my previous cs affected my fertility at all. Or maybe I am very lucky.

Risk wise, the longer you wait, the lower the risk. You'll probably be deemed high risk, consultant led regardless (I am) but I know I've minimised risk to us by waiting. That being said, I know of plenty of mums who've had closer together csections and gave been OK. Even though I waited, I still need extra scans to check my placenta isn't growing into my scar, just because it's in an unlucky position. There's a lot of risk balancing, but also a lot of luck involved.

Good luck to you.

Southy84 Sun 18-Jun-17 20:40:12

edgar I hope you don't mind me asking but do you have an anterior placenta? I have been told I have but they didn't mention whether it was low etc so I was assuming it wouldn't be a issue, just wondered if yours was anterior when they flagged the need for extra scans? Was it at 12 week scan or later?

elliejjtiny Mon 19-Jun-17 16:01:32

So sorry for the loss of your daughter.

Nobody would refuse you an elcs in those circumstances. I had an elcs with my now 4 year old and then got pregnant accidently while on the pill 4 months later. I tried to have a vbac but ended up with a crash section.

steph0488 Mon 19-Jun-17 17:17:41

Elliejjtiny so was there 13 months between your two children? Were the doctors concerned about the shorter age gap? Just wondering if you requested a vbac or if it was suggested by the hospital. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you but thankfully your little one got here safely. I'm almost 4 from my csection at the minute and the consultant says it's not a problem to try now because even with an earlier delivery at 37/38 weeks I would be in the 12 months between surgeries timescale. I would love to try soon because losing our baby has made us realise we would love to bring another baby into the family but I'm scared that even though he's recommending that we can try now so many others have been told longer... and to be honest I don't have much faith in the advice of medical professionals in my trust at the moment after everything that's happened x

OvO Mon 19-Jun-17 17:36:49

My Ds2 was stillborn. My doctor told me I was fine to TTC as soon as my first period arrived. I was pregnant again 4 months later and my DS3 was born just under 1 year after my DS2 (he was delivered at 36 weeks to be on the safe side). All my babies were born by c-section and all went fine.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Good luck with ttc!

steph0488 Mon 19-Jun-17 17:42:46

Thanks OVO, I'm so sorry to hear about your ds2. flowers
It's something no one should ever have to go through. Thankyou for sharing your story with me, that brings a little bit of hope for the future. Were you able to request an elcs or did the doctors try to persuade you to try vbac? Xx

AnnaT45 Mon 19-Jun-17 17:52:05

Steph I'm so sorry to hear what you've been through. I hope you're ok as can be.

I fell pregnant 10 months after a crash section. I was really worried as straight after I had it the midwife said I couldn't have another one till two years later to give everything chance to recover. But the consultant didn't even blink and just said 12 months on is safe.

I think It probably varies from person to person in terms of recovery which is why they give such varying time scales.Would it be possible for you to have a check up with a dr to make sure your body is ready?

I wish you all the best

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: