Talk

Advanced search

Birth after prolapse

(8 Posts)
Thewinedidit Wed 07-Jun-17 19:49:02

I'm due with baby 2 this year and I am starting to really panic about the birth. I have quite a bad prolapse after my vbac and whilst I have come to accept it and can live with it as is, I am terrified about it getting worse. I genuinely think it would be hugely damaging to my mental health. I have a consultant appointment in a few weeks to discuss this. Has anyone any experience of vbac with prolapse they could share. Whilst I don't want a CS I really will push for one if the risk is less.

smellsofelderberries Thu 08-Jun-17 13:15:58

It depends on a lot of factors and the type of prolapse you have/what sort of pelvic floor trauma you have (forceps delivery etc). The papers I've read say that it's usually the first vaginal delivery that does the damage. Can't seem to find any to hand at the moment but there are clinical studies around (Prof Dietz has written a lot about this).
I prolapsed with my first child 7 months ago and want another babe soon, but it's hard thinking about things getting worse. Depending on the exact nature of my damage I am fairly certain I will have a section next time as I found my first delivery quite traumatic and still have nightmares. How old are your other children?

fanfrickintastic Thu 08-Jun-17 17:40:34

I have a very minor prolapse from my first birth. I'll certainly be requesting a c section for subsequent children (thought the effect on my mental health of my current birth trauma is completely precluding the option of more children). The risk of more damage just isn't worth it in my opinion.

Thewinedidit Thu 08-Jun-17 19:35:21

My son is 3, he was forceps delivery. I think I have both bowel and bladder so it's fairly bad. I know eventually time might make it worse anyway and pregnancy could, but Im terrified of vaginally delivery damaging me more. I'm only mid 30s and the thought of my sex life and self esteem being more damaged sickens me.

Lostinaseaofbubbles Thu 08-Jun-17 19:38:31

I'm confused? He was forceps? I thought vbac was vaginal after caesarean. Was it forceps then CS?

Thewinedidit Thu 08-Jun-17 20:13:52

Ha sorry my terminology was wrong. That's what I get for trying to use abbreviations i don't really know.

Thewinedidit Thu 08-Jun-17 20:14:13

He was forceps.

Lostinaseaofbubbles Thu 08-Jun-17 20:32:50

Okeydoke. I had a prolapse from my first and a CS for my second. I was told it was a mild prolapse, but it didn't feel terribly mild to me!! (No forceps. Just told I couldn't possibly be in proper labour and under no circs was I to push, so I fought the contractions for a good couple of hours. The moment they made me get out of the pool so I didn't have anything to push against to fight the contractions he popped right out! But my PF never forgave me!)
I actually desperately wanted to avoid the CS but my second was twins and they were the wrong way round and I was told that it was too dangerous.
Still wish I'd not had to have a CS, but then I don't know what would have happened to my prolapse if I'd managed to go the other route.
Doctors and midwives should be able to offer some advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now