Talk

Advanced search

Hypnobirthing

(10 Posts)
Lovelilies Tue 06-Jun-17 07:39:22

You to telling the MWs you're hypnobirthing- they don't believe it when the baby comes grinblush

TheSleeperandTheSpindle Tue 06-Jun-17 07:17:43

Hypnobirthing worked so well for me that I was already 10cms by the time I got to hospital so no time for preparing the room, it was a case of stripping off and getting on with it! I think that's the whole point though, it helps you cope and remain calm. You can do the music and oils at home if you want but I found that getting into the zone, breathing and repeating some of the affirmations to myself was enough.

I would second telling the midwives that you're hypnobirthing. When I arrived at hospital one midwife was quite stern with me for attempting to push so soon. She even told me that I could only push once I was fully dilated. It wasn't until she examined me that she realised I was already fully dilated and she quickly had to get organised! grin

Fleurchamp Tue 06-Jun-17 07:10:02

I had a birth like first cuddle describes - I used all the techniques (and a TENS machine) at home and arrived at the hospital fully dilated.
I then had a pool and gas and air before delivery but I didn't have long enough to worry about music and lighting.
The one thing I would say is this - I was really calm at home, really calm and so the midwife who spoke to me on the phone told me twice to stay put. Tell them you are hypnobirthing!!! and go with your instincts.

Lovelilies Tue 06-Jun-17 07:07:44

I had mine at home, in a pool.
I had my music (same track I'd listened to in pregnancy yoga and hypnobirthing classes) playing the whole time and it really helped. I laminated my affirmations and had them on the wall.
One of the biggest things that helped me was to insist on silence if anyone was in the room with me, I just wanted DP most of the time but if MW was there, no talking between them and absolutely minimum talking to me.
Good luck!
This was my 3rd DC so I felt more able to tell them what I wanted and not just go along with their plans.

thefirstcuddle12 Tue 06-Jun-17 07:01:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Ratatatouille Mon 05-Jun-17 21:25:45

My labour lasted 36 hours and hypnobirthing got me through the first probably 24 hours just with breathing techniques. After that I used gas and air. Had a shot of something (can't remember what, things were intense) at about 33 hours to help me rest before pushing. Ended up having an EMCS after 2 hours of pushing because baby was starting to struggle.

I went into my labour hoping for a serene water birth with lovely music and low lights but in the end it was nothing like that. I found it helpful to make loads of noise and swear. I also found it helpful to be on my back with feet in stirrups to push against at certain points. Basically things that my hypnobirthing lady would have been appalled at grin

Hypnobirthing helped me to have the confidence to ask questions and not feel like a bystander in my own labour and delivery. The breathing techniques were also helpful. But it wasn't a magical experience and I couldn't have given a flying fuck about candles or music at the time.

Mysterycat23 Mon 05-Jun-17 21:25:37

I used some of the breathing/visualisation techniques. I found it very helpful and effective.

Not to sound negative but in the throes of labour, music and oils will not be on your mind at all. You will be focusing on your breath and your body and staying hydrated and calm.

I took a hospital bag packed with the usual stuff. Recommend mini juice boxes with straws for easy hydration and energy.

ethanrayne Mon 05-Jun-17 21:15:50

Sorry wrong thread 😱

ethanrayne Mon 05-Jun-17 21:12:50

lol 😂

beanbag19 Mon 05-Jun-17 21:04:06

Can anyone who has had a hypnobirth talk me through what they took with them to hospital and how they prepared the room etc? What music did you have? Did you use essential oils?

Thanks in advance.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in