Talk

Advanced search

Another hospital bag thread!

(7 Posts)
SleepForTheWeek Sat 27-May-17 21:46:22

I've already got a DD so really I should know this but here I am!!

I'm due in 2 weeks so going to have to get my hospital bag together.

I will (hopefully) be having the baby in the local small mid wife led maternity unit. If things don't go according to plan I will most likely be flown to the nearest city to deliver (3 hour car drive which DH would have to do!!)

I've got reusable nappies but will take some first size reusables for the hospital.

How many changes of clothes for baby? If I have the baby locally I'll be in and out in the same day. Should I take a mixture of first size and up to 1 month?? DD was quite petite and I remember everything being too big on her.

Thanks smile

Rockspin Sat 27-May-17 21:51:36

I was in 1 day after having dd2 last Saturday. We actually used just one set of clothes for her plus a cardigan and hat to travel home in. I took 4 sets of clothes, 2 in first size and 2 in newborn as I knew she wasn't going to be bigger than that.
One thing that was HUGELY helpful though was cool spray from boots as it was bloody boiling!!!

SleepForTheWeek Sat 27-May-17 21:59:45

Oh good shout about the cool spray!! I had DD in the winter so hadn't even considered this muggy heat.

Rockspin Sun 28-May-17 04:38:59

I was the same, had an October baby last time. Boots own brand cooling spray is really good and doesn't have a scent, in a a blue can about £4 I think!

Rockspin Sun 28-May-17 04:40:22

www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=11352

docpeppa Wed 31-May-17 13:39:28

I'm due any day and this is what I'm taking in, a bag for me and one for baby.
*For me
Nightie to give birth in
2 sets of pyjamas
Nursing bras
Slippers
Nightgown
BIG underwear/socks
Maternity pads
Nursing pads
Some toiletry travel miniatures from boots, face wipes etc
Toothbrush/paste
Hairbrush/spare bobbles
Mascara and BB cream
Coming home outfit
Bath towel
*For baby
4 grows/vests (first size and up to one month)
Coming home outfit
Cardigan
Hats
Cellular blanket
Cotton wool balls
Nappies
Blanket for car seat

Maybe I am packing too much, but you never know how long you will be in and better to be prepared. I'll probably repack it atleast three more times before I have baby 😂

kel1234 Thu 01-Jun-17 21:17:36

We got the hospital essentials in white in size newborn (up to 10lb), as we didn't know the sex, and intended to buy more when we knew. We had that size to be sure they would fit, as we didn't know how big or small the baby would be.
We took 6 babygrows, 6 vests, a cardigan, a pack of 10 bibs, 2 hats and 2 pairs of mittens (the babygrows had attached mittens, but the going home outfit didn't). We also had a going home outfit- babygrow and a knitted cardigan.
The plan was that would be plenty for the day, then my husband could go to Mothercare and get more in pink or blue, and in the size we actually needed.
We ended up needing size tiny baby (up to 7lb 5, as our baby was 6lb 7oz). Unfortunately he wasn't well, and was in hospital for 12 days, so we were able to both to and get his stuff (more babygrows, vests and so on).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now