Talk

Advanced search

Vbac and induction - risky or not?

(16 Posts)
docpeppa Thu 25-May-17 19:59:06

Hello all

I am booked in for an induction next week due to small fetal growth.

My first baby was natural birth, 30 hours. Second was a planned section, as I had an ectopic after first baby.
This time round I want a vbac, as the recovery​ was horrendous from the section.

Has anyone had a successful vbac and been induced? I have heard that it's meant to be dangerous and there is a risk of scar rupture.

The consultant I met with today didn't really seem to know much about me or give a lot of advice, or explain the induction process to me.

To be honest, I'm panicking now.

DuggeeHugs Thu 25-May-17 20:46:59

My first was an EMCS, and my consultant has told me that our Trust policy is no inductions for a VBAC. However, I've heard from other posters that there are two induction methods, one of which can be used for VBAC, so possibly this is the one your consultant is planning.
Could you have a chat with your midwife about your concerns? I've also found the RCOG website to be useful when researching VBAC/CS information

fluffandsnuff Thu 25-May-17 20:50:44

At my birth choices appt they said no synthetic induction for VBAC due to increased risk of scar rupture- but seemed to be ok with a sweep. How many weeks are you?

docpeppa Thu 25-May-17 21:09:11

I'm 36+3 and will be 37+4 when I am induced.

The consultant said they would use gel at 9pm and could break my waters in the morning. That seems procedure for a normal induction though, not a vbac

docpeppa Fri 26-May-17 06:47:38

Anyone been through this and it has been ok? Or is it a bad idea?

Kittymum03 Fri 26-May-17 07:05:42

They wanted me to be induced with my second and I was surprised as it seemed to be the full induction, after emergency c.section for my first and an ectopic after that. We refused induction and had a c.section booked, if things didn't happen naturally. In the end I had a VBAC so didn't need the section.

The only thing they seemed to want to do differently from the first time was instead of being on the monitor every hour, it was constant monitoring, due to the scar. This put me off. The thought of being stuck on the bed in one position for however many hours, so you might want to check that.

Did you have a section due to scarring from the ectopic?

Kittymum03 Fri 26-May-17 07:09:13

Sorry I don't know if my post was helpful or not, I suppose what I mean is 'At some hospitals the seem happy to give you an induction after a section, so try not to worry' (I know, I know, that won't stop you worrying) flowers

sonlypuppyfat Fri 26-May-17 07:29:44

I had an emergency section but then had two regular labours and I was induced

docpeppa Fri 26-May-17 08:31:07

Thanks kitty, yeah it was helpful thanks. The ectopic settled in the lining of my womb and damaged it a bit, so the elective was a precaution.

I know I won't be able to cope with being stuck to the bed the whole time, I need to walk around the room atleast.

I'm going to call my midwife today because I just don't feel informed or happy about it.

He is just on the 5th percentile and is 5lb 10 according to the scan yesterday, so I don't feel like he is massively underweight

docpeppa Fri 26-May-17 08:31:11

Thanks kitty, yeah it was helpful thanks. The ectopic settled in the lining of my womb and damaged it a bit, so the elective was a precaution.

I know I won't be able to cope with being stuck to the bed the whole time, I need to walk around the room atleast.

I'm going to call my midwife today because I just don't feel informed or happy about it.

He is just on the 5th percentile and is 5lb 10 according to the scan yesterday, so I don't feel like he is massively underweight

Kittymum03 Fri 26-May-17 08:59:21

Oh that makes sense. I had to have my tube removed, so I was consultant next time because of 'Previous section and surgery for ectopic'

No that doesn't seem massively underweight. They kept panicking me this time saying baby was to big, and she came out tiny compared to what they predicted so all the worry was for nothing.

I would call your MW and see if you can see her or maybe speak to somebody at the hospital. Tell her how worried you are, as it isn't fair for you to be worrying so much.

Also, it wasn't until I went into labour naturally that I found out it was wireless monitors they use at my hospital, now. (Nobody bothered to tell me, so I wouldn't of been stuck to the bed anyway, but I didn't know that!) So ask about that. They are a little annoying as when I was bouncing away on the ball I kept knocking them off baby's heartbeat, but still preferable than being stuck on the bed!

I hope you get some answers today.

Kittymum03 Thu 01-Jun-17 02:16:30

Hi. I was just thinking about you, realising it will be your induction date, and hoping you've got some answers and a birth you are happy with flowers

docpeppa Thu 01-Jun-17 06:56:32

Hey Kitty
I am seeing my consultant today, the induction is booked for tomorrow. Hopefully get the answers 😊
Thanks for thinking of me

Kittymum03 Thu 01-Jun-17 08:06:04

That's exiting then, not long to go until your baby's here smile
I do think of people after I post. And I remember what a worrying time it is waiting for the birth, however it happens.

docpeppa Thu 01-Jun-17 14:51:25

I've been given another week 😊 I had a sweep this morning, so hopefully that will move things along naturally

Kittymum03 Thu 01-Jun-17 17:44:50

Oh that's good then. So you will be 38 weeks? Get doing all the old wives tales trying to get baby our naturally then grin

Did consultant answer your questions about induction?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now