Talk

Advanced search

Refusing an induction

(15 Posts)
Lucinda15 Wed 24-May-17 21:35:48

Has anyone refused an induction and willing to share experience?

I am 37.5 weeks, and booked for induction at 39+1 due to gestational diabetes. It is diet controlled and well managed. Baby size currently around 80th percentile. Consultant said she recommended induction due to previous large baby (91st percentile delivered naturally at 39+5, prolonged labour, extended episiotomy, pph - no GD).

I initially agreed with her as the last labour and recovery was not great. I liked the idea of getting this baby out before she got too big. I also have had 4 miscarriages since that labour, one of which was very traumatic involving emergency admission to hospital via a&e due to massive blood loss. I contemplated c-section for this labour due to high anxiety over something similar happening with this labour or something going wrong at the final hurdle. Discussed with consultant who agreed to lower the threshold for c-section which I felt happy with.

But now I'm feeling unhappy with the idea of induction. I don't like the idea of a prolonged wait to get things going, or the high risk of intervention and if there's a good chance could go to c-section I think why don't we just go to c-section! Or, just let baby come when she's ready! Part of me feels guilty for bringing her out if she is not ready. And I fear that if she is not ready, the induction will go on for days and not go well and end up with intervention/c-section. But then I think leaving it until she is ready could end up with the same outcome!! I dread another prolonged labour with a large baby to deliver and all the problems that happened last time trying to get her out.

I'm quite confused. I feel like there is problems with either choice. But I'm considering refusing the induction and seeing what happens. I'm unsure and confused and expecting resistance from the consultant. DH wants to go with induction just because they are the professionals and have recommended it. But I feel we have a choice - I just can't make my mind up!

Any shared experiences welcome!

DuggeeHugs Thu 25-May-17 03:43:19

Not quite the same, but I was unexpectedly induced with DC1 due to very high blood pressure. In my defence I was a naive first-timer. DC was 8lb15oz and arrived via EMCS after 5 days.

The one thing which has stuck with me since is how much I wish I'd known I could say 'no' to the induction. It didn't feel right for me and as the days progressed I was just sucked further into a situation I wasn't happy with. This time I've gone in from the start knowing what I will accept and what I will absolutely refuse consent for. DH is backing me all the way which helps a lot.

You need to do what is right for you - they cannot force a procedure on you - but I would recommend looking into the alternative options and risks/benefits associated with each. This may help clarify things for you so when you see your consultant again you'll either feel completely on board, have some tweaks for the plan or be in a position to say no, I want option B and this is why.

Rockspin Thu 25-May-17 05:09:40

I was induced last Friday because of GD at 37 weeks. I was also induced with my first dd at 38 weeks because of it.
1st induction was pessary/drip/epidural and very 'managed' over 2/3 days and second induction was fast furious and over within 24 hours.
2 completely different inductions but 2 happy and healthy daughters which was lucky as it turned out my newborns placenta was failing which I wouldn't have necessarily known till too late. She's 5 days old now and doing very well thank goodness but anything can happen with gd so I thank my lucky stars.
It's a very personal decision and I can see your reasons for wanting to avoid and induction but for me it's the best decision I made. Have you got a good relationship with your consultant? Mine was quite open to discussing induction/section, it may be worth calling your diabetes midwife and explaining concerns as she might be able to arrange a growth scan to check size/monitoring to reassure all is well enough to wait a bit? I had a fetal brain scan just before induction following a day of slightly sluggish movement which was when the concerns about the placenta were raised.
I'd call your diabetes team and have a chat.

Lucinda15 Thu 25-May-17 07:05:43

Thank you both. After sleeping on it and discussing with DH I think I will contact the diabetic midwife today and ask to discuss my options again. I really feel uncomfortable with the idea of induction. But i am nervous about leaving baby in there too long. I have been doing some reading about risks for each option, but really need to discuss with them. In my heart i think that I would be most happy with more monitoring and a date for ELCS, and hope I go into labour naturally before then. I am booked in for a sweep next week at 38+3, and have acupuncture and reflexology booked. Which I'm quite sure got my ds's labour going.

Anyway. I will call them and see what they can advise. Thanks for sharing ur experiences and advice. It's helped me think things through a bit more. flowers

FenellaMaxwellsPony Thu 25-May-17 07:08:25

A friend of mine recently refused induction. She went 19 days over, ended up with an EMCS after the baby stopped developing, and spent 10 days in hospital. I would consider the options very carefully before refusing one.

outnumbered38 Thu 25-May-17 07:09:52

I refused induction with my second and eventually delivered him at home at 42+2!! There were no complications though so a bit different to your situation . I was made to feel like I was making a very bad decision though. Luckily had the support of my independent midwife and agreed to daily monitoring in the end.

Tubbyinthehottub Thu 25-May-17 07:12:49

I was induced due to waters having broken 4 days previously. It was great, no worrying at home about whether labour has started. Had the pessary and had my baby in the water 9 hours later.

flumpybear Thu 25-May-17 07:16:26

Speak to your midwife and get s proper plan in place.
Double check with her about placental health in diabetic pregnancies, I have recollection from my research days that placental failure can happen in diabetic mums - it may not be the case as it was donkeys years ago and I don't have time to check the net now but just consider there may be complications you've not considered other than macrosomia

Lucinda15 Thu 25-May-17 07:40:58

Thank u all. To clarify, I definitely don't want baby to stay in too long. But I think I'd rather have an ELCS by a certain date, whenever they advise, rather than get things going by induction. It's the induction process that concerns me primarily, especially if my body/baby is not ready. At the moment, an ELCS is preferable to me as much more managed and controlled, rather than trying to get the body to do what it dsnt want to do. I had a 3 day labour with DS, extended epesiotomy and pph which made recovery and my first few weeks with DS awful. I developed anxiety problems, PTSD and eventually pnd.

I know CS involves risks and blood loss, but if it is planned, I feel recovery would be better as the body hasn't not exhausted itself with a gruelling labour beforehand. I just want to avoid the health issues and exhausting myself with a long induction, potential intervention and difficult recovery from EMCS after all that. I know not all inductions go that way, but I'm just not sure I want to take that route.

Lucinda15 Thu 25-May-17 07:42:58

Obviously I need to discuss with midwife and consultant. I will contact them today. But I think I'm getting a clearer idea of what I want. Thanks for the advice.

Sunnie1984 Thu 25-May-17 07:54:43

Most consultants are open to an C-section in those circumstances.

Discuss it with them and I'm sure they will be able to put together a plan that works for you. Just be firm about what you want.

DuggeeHugs Thu 25-May-17 09:05:46

It sounds as though you know which option feels best for you Lucinda, hope all goes well with the midwife/consultant today smile

Tchoutchou Thu 25-May-17 09:31:22

Just wanted to flag up asking what the risk of shoulder dystocia is for you and your baby. All the best

Kintan Thu 08-Jun-17 06:05:01

Having had an induction due to gestational diabetes that went on for four days and ended with an emcs when we have another baby I will be requesting a planned section. I think inductions work fine if you are being induced because you've gone over due as your body is likely to be gearing up to give birth anyway but when you are induced early your body is nowhere near ready. Just my opinion but everyone I know who has been induced early (five people including myself) has ended up with an emcs. Good luck with whatever you decide!

RNBrie Thu 08-Jun-17 06:12:16

I've had three dc. Last one had to be induced in a hurry so went straight to the drip. Given what you've said in your op, I'd choose an ELCS.

If I had my time again I'd request an EMCS for dc3 rather than go through a drip induction again. If you have the option of an ELCS then I'd take it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now