Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Labour with broken rib

(11 Posts)
BaffledMummy Wed 24-May-17 19:50:27

Has anyone given birth with a cracked rib? Am 30 weeks and thanks to a horrible chest infection coughed so much I've a suspected cracked rib. I can hardly breathe, cough, laugh or sit, bend or lie down without feeling like my insides are ripping apart sad. I'm only comfortable standing and leaning awkwardly! I can't imagine giving birth with pain like this? Is it even possible? Anyone had similar? How was the birth? Am expecting to be induced due to OC around 37 weeks. Help!

DancingLedge Wed 24-May-17 20:03:40

Ooh, that sounds bad enough now, without contemplating labour. But, from experience with cracked rib and sternum, seven weeks should see it sorted, or at the worst, hardly a problem. Do take care of yourself now, the fewer things you do that make it hurt, the quicker it will heal.
cause you hadn't thought of that and yes life hurts at the mo

ImperialBlether Wed 24-May-17 20:06:01

I think you need medical advice, OP.

BaffledMummy Wed 24-May-17 20:28:52

Yes I did go to the doctor who told me to take paracetamol and cocodamol if paracetamol weren't strong enough. He thinks it should be ok for Labour but am not convinced given how much pain I'm in now!

RedBugMug Wed 24-May-17 20:32:12

hopefully you have another 10 weeks to heal!
I guess a midwife or gynecological consultant are better at giving you options.

GiraffeWithAShortNeck Wed 24-May-17 20:37:37

Ouch ouch. Are you still coughing? If you are - try gaviscon which, oddly, really helped me with my bad cough in late pregnancy.

ButTheBearSnoredOn Wed 24-May-17 20:41:18

Ouch!! I'm sure it will have healed much more by the time you have to labour though and the regular pain relief will help

annlee3817 Mon 29-May-17 23:17:43

I had something similar, two weeks of coughing and I felt something in my ribs crack. The pain was horrible, it was three weeks max before the pain started to ease off and now, just six weeks later I just get a niggle every now and then. I don't know if mine was actually cracked as didn't have an x-ray, but no position was comfortable initially. I used a heat pad, but not sure that's advisable when pregnant. Hope the pain eases soon!

BaffledMummy Tue 30-May-17 16:16:45

Thanks all! A week on and it is much better ...more of a constant dull ache than stabbing pain, except when I sneeze or cough then it still hurts like crazy and quite tricky to find a comfortable sleeping position. Can just about bare the thought of Labour now...last week it was a terrifying prospect!

CaptainWarbeck Sun 04-Jun-17 09:23:07

Glad to hear it is improving for you, I've done the same thing at 37 weeks although I think mine is a torn intercostal muscle from coughing rather than a cracked rib.

Got paracetamol and codeine and told to rest, it is bloody painful!! And really inconvenient with toddler DS running around and wanting to be picked up all the time.

I am dreading the thought of labour with this... fingers crossed yours and mine keep improving.

BaffledMummy Sun 04-Jun-17 12:21:21

Captain I feel your pain! Hoping it settles down for you in plenty time too. I've just got twinges now and again when I lift something heavy (toddler DD!) And sneezing is still terrifying but definitely getting better each day and I've a few weeks left to go so feeling a lot better about it now. Fingers crossed for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now