Talk

Advanced search

Subsequent delivery after shoulder dystocia

(5 Posts)
imogenlondon Wed 24-May-17 11:30:45

I'd be grateful for any (positive) stories of vaginal delivery after a prior childbirth with shoulder dystocia. My second baby is due next month and is coming up on the 70th percentile on scans. Meeting with the consultant shortly to discuss elective C-section given concerns about shoulder dystocia occurring again but my preference would be to try for another vaginal delivery. Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks

SixFeetUnder Wed 24-May-17 11:44:34

My first delivery was a shoulder dystocia, delivered with forceps in the end. He was 10lb 10.5oz. It was a traumatic delivery and I was offered an elective csection for my second delivery which I decided not to take.
I'm so glad I did because my second delivery was so easy compared to the first. Totally different experience and he was a bigger baby (11lb 3oz!)
With my first I never had the urge to push because he was stuck. With my second the pushing was instinctive and as I said, just a completely different birth.

Don't let your first experience put you off, I was so scared going in to my second delivery so I completely understand how you are feeling but it was like night and day.

imogenlondon Wed 24-May-17 12:00:22

Thanks so much for replying, that's what I was hoping to hear! My first was induced and very medically managed right from the start. I'm hoping this time to have a different experience. Glad your second delivery went well

DancingLedge Wed 24-May-17 12:10:10

Distressing and frightening shoulder dystocia with DC3, actual delivery of DC4 really quick and straightforward. Quite healing, after previous birth. And the only one of them to arrive pink, and not in distress.

Trying to take on board actual specific concerns about a delivery, and assess what to do, that's so hard. There's lots of anecdotal stuff on MN about estimates of baby's size being a very imprecise thing. No idea if this reflects reality.

Best wishesflowers

imogenlondon Wed 24-May-17 12:55:52

Thanks for your message and glad to hear you had a straightforward delivery for DC4. I will see what the consultant says this week but hopefully they will just provide as much info as possible and leave it to me to make a decision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now